DNR in France

We had drinks with our neighbour last night which included her daughter and family.  She is pharmacist just outside Nantes, currently practising.  I asked her about DNR in France.  To her knowledge, it is not something that is current.  The medical staff are bound to do everything possible to sustain life, an individuals choice not to allow resuscitation is not something she is aware of. 

There are other medical situations that illustrate the cultural differences between countries.  A few years ago I asked our French doctor about a vasectomy.  Things have changed, but he told me that, unless there were over riding medical reasons, it would not be done.    Until 1999 it was illegal!

Vasectomy is considered to be an illicit procedure in France under the 19th century “Napoleon code” which proscribes acts of so called “self mutilation.” Doctors who perform vasectomies in France risk criminal charges although there have been no prosecutions on the issue for more than 40 years.

I think it is possible now, after a 4 month cooling off period after the initial request.