Beware firewood and pellet swindles

ssomon

6 hours ago, DaveLister said:

It's not just the future costs of fuel. It's the availability. I forsee rolling power cuts when demand outstrips supply. Maybe rationing. Currently I keep a supply of fuel for a generator. I'd rather be able to run off solar/wind supplied batteries instead.

We have a 3/3.5  kw max silent inverter generator bought after a 3 day power cut about 5 years ago - not much fun sitting in a dark house with no lights, sat TV, internet, mobile phone , land line phones were out, the local cell mast power also was out, we had to drive around looking for high ground to get a phone signal to reassure our daughters in the UK that we were ok after a storm.

We were ok for heat with wood stoves and cooking with bottled gas but the electrically heated hot water was running out.

I did all the changeover switchgear and cabling for running the house, barn and workshop. 

As there have been warnings about impending rolling power cuts this coming winter I'm going to increase our generator fuel stock to a week's worth at 12 hours a day running time at half load.

It's all about self-reliance.

Edited by Harnser

Well, DavidLister, as with everything, hindsight is wonderful, isn't it?  How could any of this be foreseen by the ordinary, run-of-the-mill person? 

I'm sorry about your pool, especially as I am sure you could do with it in all this heat.

If you truly no longer want it, maybe think of some other use for it?

14 minutes ago, menthe said:

Well, DavidLister, as with everything, hindsight is wonderful, isn't it?  How could any of this be foreseen by the ordinary, run-of-the-mill person? 

I'm sorry about your pool, especially as I am sure you could do with it in all this heat.

If you truly no longer want it, maybe think of some other use for it?

something like this you mean? At last, somewhere to put those solar panels.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 16.46.17 (1).jpeg

What, it's an indoor pool?

Only sort of pool to have in my opinion.  Or at least in my opinion until this year when outdoor and fed by a freezing cold mountain stream would be best...nothing short of that is worth having.

I was thinking more along the lines of a sunken cactus garden.  Would make a great burglar trap as well, don't you think?😄

• 8 months later...

When purchasing firewood or wood pellets, there may be a chance of swindles. To avoid these ask the seller for certification of the type of wood they are selling, and to prove that it is of high quality. Make sure that the wood is dry, as damp wood can cause smoke and make fires more difficult to control. It is also important to check if the wood has been treated with dangerous chemicals. Additionally, get a guarantee that the wood is free from insects and pests, as wood that is not inspected can attract unwanted pests. Finally, make sure that the measurements of wood match what is on the invoice. All of these steps can help ensure that the firewood and pellet you buy are of a high quality and not part of a scam.

15 hours ago, Ella Dallas said:

When purchasing firewood or wood pellets, there may be a chance of swindles. To avoid these ask the seller for certification of the type of wood they are selling, and to prove that it is of high quality. Make sure that the wood is dry, as damp wood can cause smoke and make fires more difficult to control. It is also important to check if the wood has been treated with dangerous chemicals. Additionally, get a guarantee that the wood is free from insects and pests, as wood that is not inspected can attract unwanted pests. Finally, make sure that the measurements of wood match what is on the invoice. All of these steps can help ensure that the firewood and pellet you buy are of a high quality and not part of a scam.

Wouldn't it be better, and more diplomatic, to only use a supplier that you know to be good? A neighbour perhaps, could advise. Asking for the guarantees you suggest amounts  to an insult to reputable suppliers. 

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Wouldn't it be better, and more diplomatic, to only use a supplier that you know to be good? A neighbour perhaps, could advise. Asking for the guarantees you suggest amounts  to an insult to reputable suppliers. 

I have the tiniest suspicion that Miss Dallas is not a real person (apologies if not true). Sounds a bit AI to me.

• Haha 2

Like Mr Banana I'm keeping an eye but I'm still on a learning curve. I was waiting to see what angle ( if any ) surfaces in later posts. Now that our cumulative suspicions have been made public I'm sure Miss Dallas will be along shortly to defend herself.

They often seem to quote their previous post, and then insert a link into the quoted text.

Miss (mister, master, ms ?) Dallas has a very pretty photo though. I'm  not sure that Alina Stanislavovna Sanko knows that Debbie has pinched her photo! https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Alina+Sanko&meta=&rlz=1I7GGLL_enFR425

Edited by betise
smelling!
  • Like 1