Dead!!!

Ken

A few months ago this forum appeared to be having some sort of upheaval regarding logging on, registering and other problems. It was just too much for an addled brain to contend with so I gave up on it and never bothered to look again until recently. I'm quite surprised at how dead it is, controversy appears to be a dirty word and the few posts that there are contain as much interest as paint drying!

Apparently, according to one or two, the reason for this scarcity of opinion is that it was too 'aggressive' or 'contentious'! I can only say that if it was like that at least the forum was alive and not 'brain dead'! What's wrong with contentious anyway? Nothing political, no 'hard' opinions that spark people into life; nothing! Wittering on about flowers and the summer heat just isn't going to keep this forum alive. The one or two that could be relied on to 'warm' things up appear also to have joined the 'woke' brigade and have become emasculated!!!! This is the only forum I look at but I think it may also soon be the last  unless it wakes up!

55 minutes ago, ssomon said:

That's seems to be what he with the addled brain dislikes.

You are quite liberal with the personal insults. There is nothing wrong with contentious issues or controversial ones. Debate is debate. Judith made her point without being insulting. Riggers also made his point. It may be that I don't agree with either but see no need, or purpose, to insult them unless it would be for some sort of childish provocation. I  would prefer a more lively discussion on any number of subjects but to descend into the intellectual gutter insulting someone doesn't lend itself to reasonable discussion or argument. It would seem you don't agree with that view!

26 minutes ago, ko12x2 said:

"I  would prefer a more lively discussion on any number of subjects"[Ken] 

OK, so why not start one or two?

O.k, I like politics, sport and issues of a general nature which require debate. Simply making a statement as benign, shall we say, about how hot it is, doesn't really lend itself to lively debate; after all every one is hot and knows how uncomfortable it is as well as any remedies for cooling down! Don't misunderstand me! I know this forum is for that sort of contact also, particularly amongst those who have been here a long time and presumably are comfortable with just some rather innocuous chat. I prefer to be in discussion , or argument, with someone or even several who have an opinion. What happens often unfortunately is that it descends into personal insults.

So, here is my starter for ten: Just why, when someone doesn't like what is posted, instead of coming back with an argument or suggestion, as you have, prefer to post an insult? My view is that such a person isn't a particularly nice person  and has a rather limited ability to join in a constructive discussion. Such a person feels comfortable , often, with like minded people and in particular their 'behaviour' is quite 'territorial' insofar as  they have been here for a long time and resent 'newbies' as well as thinking others support their insults! Now that is my starter for ten, quite the psychiatrist!!! So, why do you think someone easily resorts to insults? A reply isn't obligatory by the way but you did ask!

Regarding your response to SSimon Ken. I don't think he/she was being rude at all. He/she was merely using the term you had used to describe yourself when starting this thread.

On the subject of being rude, weren't you the person on another thread accusing people of being sanctimonious?

Sanctimonious
Making a show of sanctity; affecting saintliness; hypocritically devout or pious.

Isn't that being rude?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ken said:

So, here is my starter for ten: Just why, when someone doesn't like what is posted, instead of coming back with an argument or suggestion, as you have, prefer to post an insult? My view is that such a person isn't a particularly nice person  and has a rather limited ability to join in a constructive discussion. Such a person feels comfortable , often, with like minded people and in particular their 'behaviour' is quite 'territorial' insofar as  they have been here for a long time and resent 'newbies' as well as thinking others support their insults! Now that is my starter for ten, quite the psychiatrist!!! So, why do you think someone easily resorts to insults? A reply isn't obligatory by the way but you did ask!

Is "pot" and "kettle" an insult?

8 hours ago, Riggers said:

I’m not a he

The thing is this is a FRENCH forum,the general discussion area is a small part of this FRENCH forum,if people want that part to be respectful and pleasant so be it There’s plenty of other places to air your opinions 

So you are not a 'he'  Given the complexity of gender identification these days it was a simple error on my part. Perhaps you can let me know what you are so that I don't make the same mistake again.  And yes I do know this is a French Forum but I had directed my post to someone else who had asked me a question. Thank you for joining in the discussion anyway!

10 hours ago, betise said:

Is "pot" and "kettle" an insult?

You pose it as a question: Not really, it depends on the accuracy of  the accusation in the first place and the intention of the person saying it! If you said it to a friend it would be taken lightly. On the other hand if it is meant in an 'aggressive' and insulting way then it would cause offence! Context is very important, particularly in print!!!

15 hours ago, DaveLister said:

Regarding your response to SSimon Ken. I don't think he/she was being rude at all. He/she was merely using the term you had used to describe yourself when starting this thread.

On the subject of being rude, weren't you the person on another thread accusing people of being sanctimonious?

Sanctimonious
Making a show of sanctity; affecting saintliness; hypocritically devout or pious.

Isn't that being rude?

Then we disagree. I doubt if I were to accuse you of having an 'addled brain' you would take it as a compliment! That I used it to describe myself in a light fashion doesn't give licence to people to use it as an insult. You think differently.

You ask if I was the person on another thread accusing people of being sanctimonious. I honestly cannot remember if I had but if I had it would have been based on something said to me. Is stating something using correct language being rude, I don't think so. 

19 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Starting a 'discussion' on why people insult each other is hardly likely to make the forum 'come alive'.

I'd rather chat about real life topics such as climate change and it's affect on our future lives.

Then go ahead. I would comment on anything you have to say!  Incidentally my 'starter', it made you post something didn't it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Then we disagree. I doubt if I were to accuse you of having an 'addled brain' you would take it as a compliment! That I used it to describe myself in a light fashion doesn't give licence to people to use it as an insult. You think differently.

You ask if I was the person on another thread accusing people of being sanctimonious. I honestly cannot remember if I had but if I had it would have been based on something said to me. Is stating something using correct language being rude, I don't think so. 

Your comment was attached to another, not addressed specifically at you, and certainly not sanctimonious. It was made only yesterday. I would have expected you to remember it.

8 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Your comment was attached to another, not addressed specifically at you, and certainly not sanctimonious. It was made only yesterday. I would have expected you to remember it.

I'm sure you won't forgive me for saying so but your post doesn't make too much sense! I presume you are trying to make a point and if so I'm afraid  I have no idea what it is! Perhaps you could re-write it?

2 minutes ago, Riggers said:

Ken They ,Them or Their will do fine if referring to me thanks 

3 minutes ago, Riggers said:

Ken They ,Them or Their will do fine if referring to me thanks 

Thank you their, I will try and remember. It's so easy to get it wrong these days!

Just now, Ken said:

I'm sure you won't forgive me for saying so but your post doesn't make too much sense! I presume you are trying to make a point and if so I'm afraid  I have no idea what it is! Perhaps you could re-write it?

Just now, Ken said:

Thank you their, I will try and remember. It's so easy to get it wrong these days!

Their,

To avoid any confusion I have to say that for some reason my reply to DaveLister managed to become tangled up with my reply to you. Not sure why but my reference to nonsensical writing didn't apply to you!

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

Ken, sweetie I would forgive you almost anything😘

I'm happy to rewrite as requested.

Votre commentaire était joint à un autre, il ne s'adressait pas spécifiquement à vous et n'était certainement pas moralisateur. Il a été fait hier seulement. Je me serais attendu à ce que vous vous en souveniez.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ken said:

Their,

To avoid any confusion I have to say that for some reason my reply to DaveLister managed to become tangled up with my reply to you. Not sure why but my reference to nonsensical writing didn't apply to you!

Riggers is fine

22 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Ken, sweetie I would forgive you almost anything😘

I'm happy to rewrite as requested.

Votre commentaire était joint à un autre, il ne s'adressait pas spécifiquement à vous et n'était certainement pas moralisateur. Il a été fait hier seulement. Je me serais attendu à ce que vous vous en souveniez.

Oh! I do hope we are not back to gender interpretation again, but thank you for those kind words. As regards the re-write, I'm afraid writing it in perfect French hasn't made It any clearer! It's the same but in French! If that makes sense!!! That's the trouble with translators I find!!!