Cost of Living

How are you noticing the rise in the cost of living?

Thus far my biggest shock has been the price of gas though I think the price has been locked for a while. I managed to top up before the last rise before the summer so cannot take any more in the tank which means I am OK for a good few months. Plus I have a load of thick pullovers and duvets.

But smaller things like coffee seem to be rising in price.

I wonder how much the Taxe Foncière will rise; it has been stable here for several years. 

Will we still pay the TV licence this year even though it has been dropped?

Any thoughts, folks?

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

How are you noticing the rise in the cost of living?

Thus far my biggest shock has been the price of gas though I think the price has been locked for a while. I managed to top up before the last rise before the summer so cannot take any more in the tank which means I am OK for a good few months. Plus I have a load of thick pullovers and duvets.

But smaller things like coffee seem to be rising in price.

I wonder how much the Taxe Foncière will rise; it has been stable here for several years. 

Will we still pay the TV licence this year even though it has been dropped?

Any thoughts, folks?

I was under the impression that gasoil and essence had come down about 30 cents/litre since the heady days of more than €2.10 /litre?

Gazole: 1.809    SP95: 1.801 at our local Intermarche today  from https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

Like you we can't fill up - both cars are running near to full.

I agree, DB.  It's always disbelief at the caisse when I look at the amount I have spent and then cast a glance at a barely quarter-full trolley.

The price of butter has been creeping up for months and now I buy a 250G pack every time I go to the supermarket so that I have a stock in the freezer and not look at the bill for 2 or 3 packs all at once.

Anyone who has shopped regularly at Amazon will also have noted price rises across the board.

We were in Lidl's this afternoon and two of their boxes of 250g packs of Eviva butter were adorned with the orange 30% reduction stickers. Snagged 8 packs at €1.60 each for the freezer.

At the bagging area, on the way out, there were 4 large boxes of their 'reduced price' mixed fruit and veg. I chose one which contained 6 boxes of 4 Pink lady apples, a cucumber, one of their lettuces with the roots still intact style, a 5kg bag of regular potatoes and a 2kg bag of oven baking potatoes. I've no idea of the total price of these goods, but I do know the apples retail for €2.99 a box, so that alone will be just shy of €18. The price Lidl's want for the whole box selection?  €1. None of it will go to waste, which is something I just can't tolerate.

• Like 1

There are plenty of Lidls around here, some quite posh and big. By and large they seem a cut above Aldi in terms of range and quality. That being said, there is a newly rebuilt Aldi nearby which always seems to have loadsa customers.

To reduce costs my first aim is to eliminate waste by better planning, eat what is in the freezer and cut out certain purchases altogether.

There are plenty of Lidls around here, some quite posh and big. By and large they seem a cut above Aldi in terms of range and quality. That being said, there is a newly rebuilt Aldi nearby which always seems to have loadsa customers.

To reduce costs my first aim is to eliminate waste by better planning, eat what is in the freezer and cut out certain purchases altogether.

I think that what worries me about both Lidl and Aldi is the quality of their offer; sometimes food stuffs from unknown brands, for example which causes me to read their contents label very carefully. Often enough, more expensive is best I am sorry to say. Take tarama for instance where the quantity of cod roe varies by as much as 50% across the price range or hummus where the quantity if chickpeas varies hugely.

And their fruit and veg, often looks excellent but has it been sprayed illegally where it came from?

That being said my local Leclerc sells rubbish fruit and veg, always I notice called 1st Categorie, though clearly it cannot be.

7 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

There are plenty of Lidls around here, some quite posh and big. By and large they seem a cut above Aldi in terms of range and quality.

Are preference is for Lidl.  Aldi can be hit-and-miss.

The story goes that two brothers inherited the business from their mother on her demise. One wanted to sell cigarettes, the other didn't, and a falling out ensued following this disagreement and in the early 60s the company split into two, Nord and Sud. 

Nord operates out of eight northern European countries and as Trader Joe's in the United States.  Sud incorporates six south-eastern European countries, China, Australia, United Kingdom and United States (as Aldi). 

It doesn't therefore take a lot of working out which of the two companies is the more business minded and efficiently operated. Unfortunately, France falls under the Nord label and for at least ten years they had no presence in our locale.

I have the Lidl's app on my phone.  Up until August 31st, you got 5% off all your purchases on activation on the app.  Plus an extra turn on for your birthday.  So we got two lots of 5%s in  August!  You also get to activate coupons for each visit which does include basic, unprocessed items like tomatoes.   Also get a copy of your till receipts on the app so you can do a real time comparison of prices, and a paperless catalogue for current and future offers.

In the same period, on our card at Leclerc we got an inflation busting assist of 0.04 cents after spending 100+€ in their store.  What the headlines fail to let you know was the assist was only on their elected 240 items - nearly all processed cr*p, non of which we buy.

On 18/08/2022 at 20:37, Harnser said:

I was under the impression that gasoil and essence had come down about 30 cents/litre since the heady days of more than €2.10 /litre?

Gazole: 1.809    SP95: 1.801 at our local Intermarche today  from https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

Like you we can't fill up - both cars are running near to full.

Just read an article that suggested electric cars will soon be more expensive than ICE because of the hike in electricity costs! If it comes to pass it will wipe a few smug smiles of faces I should think!!!