Canicule

5 hours ago, ko12x2 said:

We had 5 stère of wood (ca. 3000 kg) delivered into our courtyard Saturday, so of course we have had rain since and lots more expected over the next 3 days. We have a lot of plastic sheets to keep it more-or-less covered until it is shifted into our wood store; last time it took us about a month for 4 stère.

That's why we now buy our firewood kiln dried and delivered on a pallet from the supplier's truck by his small off-road pallet truck to our hard standing where we then use our own pallet truck to trundle it into the barn.

It's hellish expensive, but it's less than 15% moisture content oak and burns very well. Another advantage is you can see exactly the quantity and quality you are buying before you pay the driver.

Not a drop around here.  They can't seem to get the forecast right 6 HOURS beforehand.  Said the Orages would begin at midnight last night, with hail risk from 3h00 to 8h00.

Didn't even get a cloud, much less a drop of rain.

Still in the forecast for today with a 'risk' for tomorrow also. 

Come on then, a few drops at a time, there it comes, first the wind to clear the way then the big drops, then ooopsie, away we go,big solid drops of lovely rain.

Thunder, lightning,  ahhhhhhhhhh

And the waterbutts have their mouths open, their emptiness scares them. 

Now it is getting harder, shaking the trees, smacking the ground.

At last.

On 15/08/2022 at 12:15, anotherbanana said:

We must feel sorry for Mint; not only is she suffering badly from the heat but bugs have started eating her. Perhaps it might be legal to hose her down to get rid of them?

Well, Wools, that's the price I pay for smelling fresh and tasting sweet.  I often wish I had spikes or barbs like nettles or thistles.  Maybe I'll change my name to Ortie.

Anyway, considerably cooler and even a damp mist first thing this morning.

On 16/08/2022 at 19:38, Harnser said:

That's why we now buy our firewood kiln dried and delivered on a pallet from the supplier's truck by his small off-road pallet truck to our hard standing where we then use our own pallet truck to trundle it into the barn.

It's hellish expensive, but it's less than 15% moisture content oak and burns very well. Another advantage is you can see exactly the quantity and quality you are buying before you pay the driver.

Our local Bricomarché are selling a cubic meter (sterre)nicely packed on a pallet and boxed, all for a nice price too! 249€!! I couldn't believe anyone would be that daft , or that wealthy, to buy it! I paid 650€ back in February for 10 cubic meters and let it dry out completely during the summer. Someone (local) also told me that it is not a good idea to have the wood completely dry anyway as it would burn too quickly!

We ignored the advice that firewood heats you up three times, bought a pellet stove in 2008, and get our pellets by the ton.

Since January 2011, the average cost per 15 kg sack is €4.55, and we have burned an average of 50 sacks per winter. They are very clean, and easy to store and use.

09.01.jpg

"Supply pressures are driving up prices.  
Driven by soaring energy prices, many are rushing in advance on firewood , to the point that professionals fear a shortage. 
The "abnormally high" demand for wood pellets in anticipation of winter, amid fears of energy shortages, could lead to a "supply deficit of 5 to 15%" , warned the French Federation of fuels, fuels and heating (FF3C), on August 26."

https://actu.orange.fr/france/face-a-la-crise-energetique-les-francais-se-ruent-sur-les-granules-de-bois-de-chauffage-magic-CNT000001RI3fP.html

20 hours ago, Harnser said:

"Supply pressures are driving up prices.  
Driven by soaring energy prices, many are rushing in advance on firewood , to the point that professionals fear a shortage. 
The "abnormally high" demand for wood pellets in anticipation of winter, amid fears of energy shortages, could lead to a "supply deficit of 5 to 15%" , warned the French Federation of fuels, fuels and heating (FF3C), on August 26."

https://actu.orange.fr/france/face-a-la-crise-energetique-les-francais-se-ruent-sur-les-granules-de-bois-de-chauffage-magic-CNT000001RI3fP.html

Just read several interesting articles about wood pellets. One of which said that whilst most people think they are made from wood waste in fact most are made from harvesting forests and that the carbon footprint of such work is ignored and that they are worse than coal for the environment! I'm no ecologist that's for sure but it would be ridiculous for the environment if accurate.

4 hours ago, Ken said:

Just read several interesting articles about wood pellets. One of which said that whilst most people think they are made from wood waste in fact most are made from harvesting forests and that the carbon footprint of such work is ignored and that they are worse than coal for the environment! I'm no ecologist that's for sure but it would be ridiculous for the environment if accurate.

If it's wood waste like tree branch trimmings from timber production it would be ok, but cutting trees down solely to make wood pellets is just a waste of good timber. And then there is how much transport is involved to get it to where it's burnt.

Like a lot of the deluded green groupthink we see happening, it has a coat of greenwash paint but under the surface is the reality they don't want to discuss or tell you about.

3 hours ago, Harnser said:

............... cutting trees down solely to make wood pellets is just a waste of good timber. And then there is how much transport is involved to get it to where it's burnt. ......................

Your kiln-dried, palleted firewood normally comes from hardwood trees such as beech and oak, which take many years to re-grow.

Pellets are made from resinous wood such as pine, which is fast growing and easy to replace.

Our palleted kiln dried hardwood originates from Estonia by way of a local supplier. It's stated to be either oak or hornbeam - hard to tell which visually.

I know it comes from Estonia from batch tickets stapled to the pallets.

Judging by the density I lean towards hornbeam, which unlike oak, has few uses apart from fuelwood due to the difficulty in working it.

Estonia is about 50% covered by forests and exports a lot of wood pellets from their forets de sapin. 

Edited by Harnser

7 hours ago, Harnser said:

Our palleted kiln dried hardwood originates from Estonia by way of a local supplier. It's stated to be either oak or hornbeam - hard to tell which visually.

I know it comes from Estonia from batch tickets stapled to the pallets.

Judging by the density I lean towards hornbeam, which unlike oak, has few uses apart from fuelwood due to the difficulty in working it.

Estonia is about 50% covered by forests and exports a lot of wood pellets from their forets de sapin. 

It is painfully obvious that pellets are being produced from deforestation, much of it in the Americas and shipped to Europe. It doesn't take much researching to find out but some sanctimonious people prefer to ignore that fact.