No more cars (with combustion engine!) From 2035

Ken

3 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Ole Humlum!  "He predicted in 2013 that the climate would most likely become colder in the coming 10–15 years."

He's didn't call it wrong:-

Arctic sea ice coverage is maintaining it's coverage, many ships were trapped in the ice this last winter.

The Greenland ice cap is building thickness rather than melting away as predicted. 

The Antarctic had record low temperatures in it's last winter period

North America just had it's coldest winter for many years.

Always look at the data that hasn't been faked by the IPCC, the UN, the BBC, the Guardian....... etc.

5 hours ago, cajal said:

When fossil fuel use is finally outlawed, where do these zealots imagine the plastic required to produce the plugs and wiring for recharging their electric vehicles will be sourced from?  🤭

Plastics for all uses can still be made from minerals such as coal and oil, which have always been believed by many to be really much too valuable to be simply burnt as fuel.

The minerals might become more expensive once the respective industries do not use them for the high profit fuel market, but the price is likely to be kept low by the existing massive production facilities.

22 hours ago, ssomon said:

Plastics for all uses can still be made from minerals such as coal and oil, which have always been believed by many to be really much too valuable to be simply burnt as fuel.

The minerals might become more expensive once the respective industries do not use them for the high profit fuel market, but the price is likely to be kept low by the existing massive production facilities.

Using gas-to-liquids processes, refineries can convert some of their gaseous waste products (flare gas) into valuable fuel oils, which can be sold as is or blended only with diesel fuel. The World Bank estimates that over 150 billion cubic metres (5.3×1012 cu ft) of natural gas are flared or vented annually, an amount worth approximately $30.6 billion, equivalent to 25% of the United States' gas consumption or 30% of the European Union's annual gas consumption,[12] a resource that could be useful using GTL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_to_liquids

We have used GTL kerosene for heating in the past and it had very little odour.

We knew is was GTL as there was a round sticker confirming it on the bidon. 

On 24/06/2022 at 12:10, anotherbanana said:

I have contacted management to get this sorted, awaiting name of new company person who can sort it. In shallah!

Has this issue of being unable to post comments been resolved yet please?

Just posted this so I guess the answer has to be yes.

Edited by Harnser

On 26/06/2022 at 14:02, cajal said:

When fossil fuel use is finally outlawed, where do these zealots imagine the plastic required to produce the plugs and wiring for recharging their electric vehicles will be sourced from?  🤭

How can fossil fuel ever be outlawed? 

How is agricultural machinery going to be powered?

Tractors - ploughing - harrowing - seeding - rotovating - grass cutting for hay etc etc.

Harvesters - grain - maize - legumes - sugar beet etc and every crop that grows and needs harvesting.

The average combine harvester is powered by a diesel engine of 200 to 300 hp.

Really large combines can be up to 600 hp 

How can you power these with batteries or hydrogen ? ( the dumbest projected way ever to store energy)

Are there going to be charging points in every farmer's field?

"The John Deere Company electric tractor, SESAM (Sustainable Energy Supply for Agricultural Machinery), announced a prototype in 2016, which is fed by a 150 kWh battery, weighing 1150 kg. This tractor can run for one hour at full power; i.e., 130 kW. The battery of the electric tractor takes about 3 hours to fully recharge, a factor that has design engineers working hard to improve."

( 130 Kw is equivalent to 95. 6 metric hp)

One hour? Then a 3 hour charge time? Ok so recent research doubles the capacity of the battery to two hours.

95hp available for two hours - wow!

I try to keep an open mind on the whole climate business,    the scare tactics used by some I find pretty repellent.

That said,   I had a look at Humlum's paper in order to try and find what he (?) had to say about the aspect of global warming that I find hardest to refute,    namely what appears to be the very clear signs of glaciers in Switzerland and France melting at what even I would call an alarming rate.     I haven't been through with a toothcomb but Humlum seems to only mention glaciers in relation to the minor effect their melting might have on sea levels.    I had hoped he would explain how this melting can be explained in any other way than global warming.

But before anyone asks,   no I don't see how long distance transport or heavy industry of any sort is going to be powered by "green" electricity in any meaningful form for the foreseeable future,   and I remain deeply mistrustful about much of what the Green lobby spout.    Seems to me that we should be building nuclear powerstations (preferably the smaller sort that seem to have fewer problems) à l'outrance.

You might be interested in these tide gauge data sets concerning global sea level rise.

From the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - (NOAA)

"The graphs compare the 95% confidence intervals of relative sea level trends. Trends with the narrowest confidence intervals are based on the longest data sets. Trends with the widest confidence intervals are based on only 30-40 years of data. The graphs give an indication of the differing rates of vertical land motion, given that the absolute global sea level rise is believed to be 1.7-1.8 millimeters/year. The calculated trends for all CO-OPS stations are available as a table in millimeters/year and in feet/century A complete table of non-CO-OPS station trends are available as a table in millimeters/year and in feet/century"
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/globalregionalcomparison.html

It puts the hysterical scaremongering of the green looneys in perspective.

5 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Harsner, I have messaged management who tell me that there has been a big problem moving the forums onto the new platform. At least the speed and access has improved, touch wood!

Thanks for the news - I have noticed that it's hit and miss, sometimes you can post, other times not.

And the next scam after the CO2 scam looks like being the Nitrogen scam.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220622-dutch-farmers-protest-livestock-cuts-to-curb-nitrogen

Earth's atmosphere is composed of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, 0.9 percent argon, and 0.1 percent other gases. Trace amounts of carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor, and neon are some of the other gases that make up the remaining 0.1 percent.

2 hours ago, ssomon said:

I think they may be referring to nitrogen oxides in vehicle exhaust gases.

So why do the Dutch authorities want to reduce the number of cows? No mention of vehicle exhaust emissions in the article i linked to.

13 hours ago, Harnser said:

And the next scam after the CO2 scam looks like being the Nitrogen scam.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220622-dutch-farmers-protest-livestock-cuts-to-curb-nitrogen

Earth's atmosphere is composed of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, 0.9 percent argon, and 0.1 percent other gases. Trace amounts of carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor, and neon are some of the other gases that make up the remaining 0.1 percent.

I wouldn't put it past politicians to make Nitrogen a 'dangerous gas' but from my training days Nitrogen is inert and simply passes into and out of the lungs not causing any problem. It is used in many different applications though from fertilisers, explosives through to packaging and many others applications. Good reason I suppose to find a way to tax it!!!!!!

12 hours ago, Harnser said:

So why do the Dutch authorities want to reduce the number of cows? No mention of vehicle exhaust emissions in the article i linked to.

Sorry, I didn't read the article correctly. I think the problem may be the production by manure of nitrous oxide  = "nitrogen", following the daft practice of referring to carbon compounds as simply "carbon"

"Manure is the second largest source of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions on a dairy farm after enteric methane (CH4) and is responsible for 7% of both agricultural CH4 and nitrous oxide (N2O) emissions"

SOURCE

Edited by ssomon
correction

On 01/07/2022 at 11:15, ssomon said:

Sorry, I didn't read the article correctly. I think the problem may be the production by manure of nitrous oxide  = "nitrogen", following the daft practice of referring to carbon compounds as simply "carbon"

"Manure is the second largest source of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions on a dairy farm after enteric methane (CH4) and is responsible for 7% of both agricultural CH4 and nitrous oxide (N2O) emissions"

SOURCE

There is quite a difference between nitrous -oxide and nitrogen. One is completely inert and the other a potential killer. It wouldn't do to confuse the two!!

• 5 months later...
On 21/06/2022 at 07:52, Ken said:

A battery in an electric car, lets say an average Tesla, is made of 25 pounds of lithium, 60 pounds of nickel, 44 pounds of manganese, 30 pounds cobalt, 200 pounds of copper, and 400 pounds of aluminum, steel, and plastic ....... one thousand pounds of minerals, that had to be mined, and processed, into a battery, that stores electricity ..... generated by oil, gas, coal, or water. Can anyone imagine the size of battery required in a huge lorry!!!!

I was astounded to find out that the battery in a car weighs over half a ton!!! Just how can this be a 'green' option? It's more a massive con!!!

And were do you put the coins to start it up🤥

Slightly related, Green, eco and all that. There was an interesting article this morning on how long it will take, on average, to get your money back on turning your home 'green'! Never mind turning a profit! Put it this way, you had better live for at least another  14 years!! As for EVs well, like the green zealots everywhere, it simply doesn't matter what is said. I suppose that as these people have gone down that 'road' that can't backtrack can they? No one likes to admit they have got it wrong!! Pollution wise or financially.

Unfortunately Ken, it is not a case that "No one likes to admit they have got it wrong".

It's definitely a case of "No one likes to admit they were telling lies all along"

Dr. Patrick Michaels, former Virginia State Climatologist has some strong comments about climate models during an interview with Mark Levin:

It is nowhere near as warm as it’s ‘supposed’ to be,” says climatologist Dr. Patrick Michaels. “The computer models are making systematic, dramatic errors.”

There are 32 different computer models used to predict the climate, all of them run by government entities. And all of those models, except for the Russian model, are predicting far, far too much warming. The Russian model pretty much matches reality. ( I have read that about the russian climate model being close to reality from another accredited source)

Because they are “parameterized” (fudged), says Michaels. “We put in code steps that give us what we think it ‘should’ be.” The models were ‘tuned.’ “We forced the computer models to say, aha! human influence, CO2 and other stuff."

The models “tell us what we wanted to see,” says Michaels. The models have been tuned “to give an anticipated, acceptable range of results.”

Phony models?

In order to clarify what he is hearing, interviewer Mark Levin paraphrases Michaels: “so you’re telling us that we have a massive bit of public policy that has an enormous effect on society that is built on phony models.”

Michaels nods his head ‘yes.” “It’s built on a house of cards,” says Michaels.

Watch the interview