Poor Poitiers

I'm a bit of geek about thunder and lightening storms - just love them.   I log on to a web-page which gives real time lightening strikes.

And my gosh - Poitiers is really having many strikes per minute right now.

As earlier on this evening - was Niort.

Must have been terrific to watch - anyone on here from either these areas ? 

Chessie

Unfortunately no storms where we live.  The sky did get dark early and I was popping in and out of the house into the garden looking out anxiously for the storm to arrive.  Nothing, most annoying.

We have a long glassed in veranda extending the width of the house and I always hang out there when there is thunder and lightening.  We have huge skies and uninterupted views so the show can be spectacular.

My best storm ever was when we stayed in a hotel in Sorrento perched up on the hills.  The storm was massive and lasted about an hour.  I opened up the floor to ceiling windows and let the rain pour into the room.  Vesuvius loomed in the distance, giving a nice scary feeling.  I have thought about that particular storm many many times through the years.  It's the only one particular storm that I remember vividly.

Also sleeping next to my mother as a young child and listening to the rain on the roof but those memories are vague and all those storms are all mixed up in my head.

I've been far too close to quite a few lightning strikes in my time to regard them as something to be enthusiastic about.

And being underneath a bad electrical storm in our last house in east anglia where the lightning was simultaneous with the thunder, so bad that we got the kids out of bed as there was a chimney above their bedrooms and got them downstairs under the stairs in case the chimney got struck. Really scarey.

Yes, Harnser, storms destroy lives and property.  I wasn't trying to make light of that aspect of storms.  As Chessie sounded enthusiastic about storms and I do like watching them, I wanted to ,well, figuratively stand by her side and admire the show. 

It's more about not letting her feel all alone as no one had replied to her post at that time.  She'd had a difficult time lately and I have always treated the Forum as a way of connecting to others.

Menthe - oh thank you for your support - you can stand by me any time - we'll dance in the rain after the storm has passed !!

Thank you also for remembering my situation - that's lovely.   I'm on my own at the moment, making sure I walk very steadily instead of rushing everywhere, and doing the final check-up of windows and doors last thing at night, on my own, feels very strange.   Also I hate things that go bump in the night - never noticed them before....... !!

I do accept thunder & lightening storms can be damaging; so can snow - but don't we love walking and playing in the snow; the sea is dangerous - but we all love swimming in clear blue seas don't we?   I just find the flashes of lightening and the booms of thunder to be one of nature's great theatrical events - can't help it - my Mum's fault - she loved T & L as well and encouraged me and my brother to come and watch the storms !!!!!!!

Chessie

Menthe - oh thank you for your support - you can stand by me any time - we'll dance in the rain after the storm has passed !!

Thank you also for remembering my situation - that's lovely.   I'm on my own at the moment, making sure I walk very steadily instead of rushing everywhere, and doing the final check-up of windows and doors last thing at night, on my own, feels very strange.   Also I hate things that go bump in the night - never noticed them before....... !!

I do accept thunder & lightening storms can be damaging; so can snow - but don't we love walking and playing in the snow; the sea is dangerous - but we all love swimming in clear blue seas don't we?   I just find the flashes of lightening and the booms of thunder to be one of nature's great theatrical events - can't help it - my Mum's fault - she loved T & L as well and encouraged me and my brother to come and watch the storms !!!!!!!

Chessie

On 23/05/2022 at 16:54, Le martin-pêcheur said:

There is one website that I know of which may prove interesting and scary at the same time to members. 

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=fr#x=4.2517;m=oss;r=0;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;y=44.7389;z=6;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;ts=0;

The map is zoomable by scrolling your mouse wheel or the + and - top left of screen.

Enjoy !

I just use the website that provides the input to the website you linked to = https://www.blitzortung.org/ but thanks anyway.