Insurance Help

OK - have planned to go into the Macif office tomorrow anyway.

The France in Focus site looks familiar.   Are you using the same name?   At least the questions look more up to date than on this site!

That's great - thanks.

I'm rather involved at the moment getting alternative accomm. for the guests who were booked in (via a Facebook Gite Owners page).   They are coming in thick and fast - info which I'm passing on.   It's sweet that they are as compassionate towards me as I am towards them!

Understand totally.

Strangely, when our house was hit by lightning, we also had the lower portion of the house rented out (totally independent 2 bedroom gite).  Of course, we contacted the Dutch couple who were booked for 3 weeks (return customers) and they actually didn't care that there was no hot water.  I was able to get the other repairs done before their arrival day, but they had to endure 10 days of their stay with no hot water.  They didn't seem to mind.  I did give them money back.  They returned for many years.

Here I am again.   I've registered with FiFocus but I didn't receive their welcome email.   However, I presume I'm in as I've managed to find you by clicking on the "L" of members.

The "Contact Lori" does not produce a link so I still dont know how to send you a PM.

Since I'm here, I'll tell you what has happened today.   I went to the Macif office and gave them my initial letter in explanation, a message from my electrician to explain his actions and also his bill and recommendations.   I can send these to you once we make contact.

My French language is very poor but I understood that she said that I should contact EDF.   I am now hanging on to this call waiting for them to respond.

I think the Dutch must be as hardy as us Scots!!

I've managed to speak to EDF now and they said, in the first instance I need to contact the Breakdown Service so that's my next call.   They will come out pretty smartly (perhaps tomorrow if my call is successful) then they will either fix it, if it's their responsibility, or not even touch it, if it's not.   The girl also said that if it's the fuse box then they won't touch it.   I gather it matters greatly where the circuit breaker is in relation to the gite fuse box.

More after my next call.

PS - so grateful for you listening!!

Interesting advice.  Do keep us posted.  My guess is EDF will not touch it.  I was advised to hire a private electrician, which I did.  No one ever mentioned EDF, but of course, every claim and every insurance company is different.

Sending you all my good karma got positive results..

Getting nowhere fast!!

I've got your message via FiF but cannot reply to it.   It's still in my Outbox.   I've written to Admin as I still don't know if I have been accepted as a member.   Probably don't like me as I have so many problems ?.

I've tried to contact the Breakdown number but didn't understand much.   They need to talk to someone who is actually in the house and in front of the fuse box.   I went back to EDF (english) and they transferred me again to the Breakdown number.   We got so far then I just gave up.   My neighbours are french and don't know the situation.

I'll have to contact a friend but I have to pay for her time and travel.   I can't help feeling this is hopeless

Iin the meantime, I'm going to send you my letters to Macif.   First upload failed so hope you got the second?

Gite Sinistre 16 May 2022.docxGite Sinistre 16 May 2022.dGite Sinistre 16 May 2022.docx

Gite Sinistre 16 May 2022.docx

Sorry, been out all day and about to leave again.

I can't open the links and it probably isn't too safe to post them online.  Even though I can't open them, someone else might be able to and have access to your private details.

I'm sure if EDF is speaking with you, they will definitely want you to be at the fuse box in question.  So, you'd need to be using a portable phone so that you can travel from the Gite fuse box to the main house fuse box - assuming they want data from each one.

I just don't understand why your insurance company would not send out an inspector for your claim.  That is how it is supposed to work.  Are they waiting for some sort of inspection by EDF before they schedule the insurance inspector?  If that is the case, then you really need someone who can come to your house and speak French with the EDF service.  Can your neighbor not come over to help you out?  It's just a quick phone call to answer whatever the EDF fellow asks, while stood in front of the fuse box.  You don't know anyone you can call on nearby?  Having to pay someone seems way over the top. 

This is one of the main reasons we stayed with Groupama.  They aren't the cheapest insurer, but they are top quality with customer service and follow through.

Not a problem.   I really appreciate you just listening.   Is it really a problem that someone else knows my name/address/email??

I was stumped this afternoon as I didn't know where to go next, then, I had a call from Macif.   It seems that one is not communicating with the other.   I thought I had to fight it out for myself with EDF but I actually missed the call (from Macif) as I was in the kitchen.   However they followed up with an email.   I called them back and understood that they wanted me to email all the info that I had left at their office in Agen yesterday.   No problem!   Why I get a call from a Macif office somewhere up north, I don't know but the office here could have sent my info up to them???

So they now have the info and I'm hoping for some action now..........

It may seem strange but I'm single and have lived here alone for the last 14 years, since my old friend died, and struggled for each one but I'm now getting lots of maintenance problems along with ill-health.   I hardly know anyone, live like a hermit and do my own thing, running the gite every summer.   I'm ashamed of my lack of French, having lived here for so long but I now have memory problems so it's a struggle to learn.

I know it's easier if you can afford a better insurance but I'm just Brit. pensioner!

As always, I really apprecite you overseeing all this!   I've still not heard from the FiF people.............

This sounds like good news Leyla.  I know with Groupama, their "Sinistre" department was located outside of the department where I lived.  So, perhaps that is why they called you from another region.  When I lived in Bédoin, Groupama had an office in town, so all I had to do was go there for any needs/questions.  I did have to follow up by calling the Sinistre phone numbers and wait for their Inspector to call me back to suggest an appointment, but it all went rather smoothly.  I suspect you are right that your local agency sent your claim to the appropriate office and that prompted your contact.

I understand completely about a budget.  We too are now retired and always try to save money where ever we can.  It was our experience with Groupama when we needed them most that we did not even hesitate to stay with them - even though there were/are cheaper alternatives.

You sound somewhat like us in that we are not really very social.  I know my immediate neighbors, but that's about it.  We have not been to a restaurant in more than 2 years !!!  Since the Pandemic started.  We keep saying we're going to go, but haven't just yet.  Haven't taken a vacation either in the same amount of time.  We'll get to it eventually.

Too bad we do not live closer as we could visit each other or I could lend a hand with some of this stuff.  Being this far away, I am not much help.