Any doubt!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the result of the Eurovision Song Contest. To be fair I didn't watch it, ever since Terry Wogan passed on it hasn't been worth watching! Anyway, a forgone conclusion that Ukraine would win no matter what they sang, even "my old man's a dustman" would have won it. But Britain coming second did offer some surprise. Whilst I thought it sums up how people feel over the Ukraine invasion I was rather pleased, with a huge dose of smugness and satisfaction thrown in, to see France and Germany coming in last!!

Not that I want any Frenchman or German entertainer who has put in the work to lose out but because of circumstances it was a complete waste of their time and effort. The message was very clear across Europe: 'We support Ukraine and Britain's efforts but deplore the behaviour of the Leaders of France and Germany'. The message couldn't have been clearer.  The song contest in itself is trivial but the message this one sent was very strong indeed. I hope Macron and Scholz are metaphorically now beating their heads against the wall!!! Well maybe not even metaphorically!!!

• Like 2

LIke you I don't watch the Eurovision Song Contest,    but even I had become aware that either we had - over the last few years - become totally talentless (musically speaking) as a nation,   or that voting had little to do with the music and a great deal to do with how other nations currently perceive each other,   fairly or unfairly.    There seemed little doubt that Russia had over a few years got a fair few votes from the East bloc because the latter were scared of them,    and that we got very few votes because we were perceived as "b!ggering up the EU dream".

Well,   haven't the jolly old tables turned now.    I was delighted to read the headlines this morning.   Good for Ukraine and good for Britain!

I suspect The Guardian and its aficionados on here are having a collective nervous breakdown,  although they seem to have gone a bit quiet.   ?    On that subject it was fascinating on this forum when the war started to see the usual suspects coming out virtue signalling and damning Britain for its slow response to taking in refugees.    Now of course we could have done better,    but different countries have different strengths,   and one of ours is that we have the sort of military know-how and hardware to assist Ukraine in the fight,   and given that we are such an over-crowded island (and that other places like Italy are crying out for more people to revive their rural areas) we did what we were best at,   and let other countries do what they are best at.

Of course the BBC and similar only see things through their own Britain-bashing prism,   so jumped on the slow response in taking in refugees and soft-pedalled all the other vital contributions we were and are making.

So it's nice to see that SOME people and countries view us favourably,   and last night seems to confirm it,  however obliquely.

• Like 2

Didn't watch it - after TW passed on it was never the same.  Dear Old TW took great delight in pointing out all the political voting that took place - and he made us laugh at the predictability of it all.

But oh yes - I did enjoy reading today's headlines - a real case of 'thanks' to the UK from the ordinary people of europe.  Firstly, obviously, for supporting Ukraine - but how wonderful to see the UK coming second.  I, too, took it as a vote from the real people of europe for the UK's tremendous arms support and pychological support for the people of Ukraine.  And isn't Mr Z a fabulous leader to have for Ukraine at this time.   Pure courage and determination - an amazing man - wish there were more leaders with such principles and honesty - and sheer guts.

• Like 1

Eurovision Song Contest?  Perhaps someone would be good enough to explain, preferably in words of one syllable, when did Australia become a European Country?  It would also appear that Canada aims to field candidates for next year's event. Confused of Côte d'Azur. ?

In case anyone missed the results, Germany propped up France at the bottom of the results table.  Would this be a reflection of European's thoughts on the top two nations and the bottom two nations with regard to the response to the dilemma inflicted on the overall competition winner's country?

20 hours ago, cajal said:

Eurovision Song Contest?  Perhaps someone would be good enough to explain, preferably in words of one syllable, when did Australia become a European Country?  It would also appear that Canada aims to field candidates for next year's event. Confused of Côte d'Azur. ?

In case anyone missed the results, Germany propped up France at the bottom of the results table.  Would this be a reflection of European's thoughts on the top two nations and the bottom two nations with regard to the response to the dilemma inflicted on the overall competition winner's country?

Australia is the centre of the Universe, ask any Australian! I'm not sure how many relatives I have out there now, including a Sister and two Brothers in law, lord knows how descendants they have managed between them but when ever I speak to any of them it's apparent that it is they who run the world!!!! So, being the centre of the Universe it is only natural that they think Australia is part of Europe!!! Actually I do have, though it may not sound like it, absolute respect for Australians. They have done more than their fair share in two world wars, Vietnam, Afghanistan and have sent equipment to Ukraine not to mention ****---ed off Macron, that alone would put them high in my esteem!!!

• Like 1

Funnily enough I was watching a programme yesterday about their courage in the Desert War, particularly around El Alamein. Very brave men sent to do a filthy job. Rumour has it that an abundance of beer helped before going into battle though that could be a Tommy story!

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Australia is the centre of the Universe, ask any Australian!

Back in the day when we were touring, it was always, without fail, a blast when we hit the Antipodean leg of the tour. Great people and there was always a full house, be it a theatre, an arena, or a stadium. Top place in my book. ?

3 hours ago, Ken said:

not to mention ****---ed off Macron,

It seems Macron is now garnering 'urine extraction' at the hands of Russian state media. They have adopted a political expression 'чтобы сделать Макрона'. Roughly translated, 'to do a Macron,' where it is used to describe a situation where someone continually calls a person on the telephone for no particular reason. ?

• 1 month later...

Pronouns! No not French ones but English!! I suppose though that the French will catch up!!!

As it appears impossible to start anything new on this site I must apologise for putting this 'new' subject on an old post.

Now I know I'm quite old fashioned in many ways. I have old fashioned views on everything ranging. from abortions, discipline, parents, this transgender/transition abomination, racism and now pronouns!! pronouns are difficult enough in French but I never thought I would be confused in English!!

I understand all these issues and , as I have said, have views on them but this pronoun one beats me; I just don't get it!!!! It seems that several companies or building societies have I.D. tags on their staff which have their name as well as His/her/ them etc. What I don't understand(or get!) is; are people supposed to call these people by their name or say "excuse me him"  or even say excuse Mr 'Smith him' or some other stupid term? Perhaps someone could explain to an old fashioned man?

3 minutes ago, Ken said:

Pronouns! No not French ones but English!! I suppose though that the French will catch up!!!

As it appears impossible to start anything new on this site I must apologise for putting this 'new' subject on an old post.

Now I know I'm quite old fashioned in many ways. I have old fashioned views on everything ranging. from abortions, discipline, parents, this transgender/transition abomination, racism and now pronouns!! pronouns are difficult enough in French but I never thought I would be confused in English!!

I understand all these issues and , as I have said, have views on them but this pronoun one beats me; I just don't get it!!!! It seems that several companies or building societies have I.D. tags on their staff which have their name as well as His/her/ them etc. What I don't understand(or get!) is; are people supposed to call these people by their name or say "excuse me him"  or even say excuse Mr 'Smith him' or some other stupid term? Perhaps someone could explain to an old fashioned man?

Just ignore it, it's a load of cobblers invented by an hysterical minority trying to dictate to the majority.

2 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

It is either He, She or It!🤪🙀

Yes, but when you address them do you say, for example; "excuse me 'he' but can you etc etc; C'mon someone please tell what the hell it is I'm missing here?

13 hours ago, Riggers said:

It isn’t asking you to refer to them as he ,she etc it’s telling people if they self identify as Male ,female neither,something else etc

So, let me get this right:If a man is serving me  has a badge on that says 'his' I am to know he is a man? Likewise if a man is serving me with a badge on that says. 'her' I am to know he identifies himself as a woman. Is that right?

20 hours ago, Ken said:

Yes, but when you address them do you say, for example; "excuse me 'he' but can you etc etc; C'mon someone please tell what the hell it is I'm missing here?

The obvious solution when addressing one of these gender-badge wearing types is to refer to them personally as "Itt" as in

cousin Itt of the Adams family,  a diminutive hirsute being. 

5 hours ago, Ken said:

So, let me get this right:If a man is serving me  has a badge on that says 'his' I am to know he is a man? Likewise if a man is serving me with a badge on that says. 'her' I am to know he identifies himself as a woman. Is that right?

That’s a lot of it yes

Great news at last and saved me from the lunatic asylum: British Triathlon has banned transgender women from competition. Sanity is beginning to prevail. Transgender women!!!!! What fool could ever think that a man can become a woman anyway?

If you wondered were you fit in with all of this; you are MH (if your forum name is an accurate indication of your orientation/gender) MH - male heterosexual.  You can put this on your name tag.

(2SLGBTQ+: What does it mean? Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning and additional sexual orientations and gender identities)