Electricity

Just had my standing order for electricity arrive for the coming year. It has almost exactly doubled! I do understand the reasons for the huge increase (without necessarily agreeing with them!) but I wonder if the increases are across the board for everyone. For example those who smugly lecture others on the 'green' aspects of driving an electric car; has the cost of charging their cars doubled? I doubt it! 

I was under the impression that the increase in KWH was limited to 4% for the last and next increase in prix?  I think there is also a sneaky increase in the standing charges too.  However, this should not lead to a doubling of prices.  We had our AGM for our residence this week.  Our budget forecast for communal electricity was based on a 4% increase (twice) for 2023, again this did not double the anticipated bill.

We are also on all electric for the 110 apartments, independent not communal heating (thank goodness).

We pay a standing order with Total, their monitoring system for usage is quite informative.  We will come in just under their suggested amount for 2021/22.  Will have to wait till next month to see what they suggest for the next year.  If its double that will be very hard to justify, imo.

We are with EDF for Elec and Gas.

Firstly the invoices we receive are a mess and very very confusing. OH has been going through them (she is trained to do this with her job) and they don't add up. No one who is not trained in this stuff won't be able to work them out. Easy way to make money yeah !

EDF website allows you to see 'real time' what your consumption is day/month/yearly.

But the invoices and standing orders don't mirror our consumption.

So we are delving deep into this matter.

At the same time we are looking for alternatives to run the house.PAC/Solar/Wood.

PS...taxes & abandonments on your gas and electricity in France is a national disgrace. Our taxes for gas is more than our electricity bill. Or vice versa.

So yeah, dig deep into your invoices OP and track you real time consumption. Then go from there.

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 1