Tiling an Outside terrace of 16 m2.

danny

Has anyone got an idea of the cost of tiling a 16 m2 terrace. It will include the cost of removing the old tiles ( Most of which can be removed by hand ) and the old chape Mortier, putting down new chape Mortier and tiles costing 30€ per m2.

In these infrlationery times, a friend says it could cost 6,000€ which has shocked us.

I would say (just on the quotes that we have had recently for work) that anything from 3-6 k is about right.

There is no logic to quotes for work in France. Most...will try their luck to rip you off. 

We live in tough times.

Not sure I would fork out that money for a terrace.

On 07/05/2022 at 18:08, danny said:

Has anyone got an idea of the cost of tiling a 16 m2 terrace. It will include the cost of removing the old tiles ( Most of which can be removed by hand ) and the old chape Mortier, putting down new chape Mortier and tiles costing 30€ per m2.

In these infrlationery times, a friend says it could cost 6,000€ which has shocked us.

We had a terrace of about 12 sq metres retiled about 4 years ago by a local english bricklayer. That included removing the old tommets (small paving bricks about 3" square) bedded on sand and lime, digging out 3-4 inches to get down to solid ground, laying rough concrete tamped, then bedding the new tiles on adhesive mortar and pointing the joints.

We supplied all the materials - with a proper devis it cost €600!

So €6000 does seem a tad excessive?

On 07/05/2022 at 18:08, danny said:

I wouldn't trust your friend's guess at all! Maths isn't my strong point but the cost of the tiles comes to €480, say €500 for wastage. So, around €5500 for the rest of the work, including clearing the site and materials, sounds very expensive. It would be advisable to get one or two reliable estimates. I think your friend, is way out!

As an aside I wouldn't entertain chape mortier at all. Harnser's work sounds very good though I would do it slightly differently and simply lay the tiles in a cement bed on top of a concrete base whilst still 'wet'. There are, I'm sure, reasons why you can't, or won't do the work yourself but I assure you it isn't that difficult and gives fantastic satisfaction in D.I.Y.  And think of the money you would save!!!!