French Tax for a new resident

vfr800

Can you help? - Do you know if I must file a French Tax return for 2021 if I moved to France last year and am living of my Pension and not working or receiving any French income? My Carte de Sejour was awarded on the 11-Jul-21 so I understand that I have been resident for less than 182 days during last years French Tax year.

Others will no doubt be along to correct me but I think you should make a declaration for the time you have been here as you are now officially resident. But the best way to be sure is to contact your tax office either personally or via email if you can.

As it would be your first declaration I seem to remember that it will have to be a paper one which will then give you a tax number which can be very useful.

Our experience is exactly as Wooly described, although it was a LONG time ago.  I don't think it has changed.  The local tax offices are really very helpful and will assist you in completing your return if you ask them to (at no charge).  I don't know how much English they will speak.  Round these parts, they are pretty good, but every area can vary; especially in the rules of foreign earned income.

And yes, that tax I.D. number can open many doors for you.   Plus prove your permanent residency; tax residency.

Basically, if you are a now a permanent, full-time French resident, you do need to register with the tax authorities. The fact you have no France-derived income doesn't necessarily mean your pensions are exempt from any French contributions, etc.

If you have a local tax office, go along and speak to them - you'll need to register anyway to ensure you get sent a tax form next year.

You say your CdeS was issued in July 2021 but presumably you arrived before that? What was your 'official' moved to France date? That tends to be the date that matters.

Once you become a permanent resident (e.g., July 2021), then from that date you are fiscally resident and must do a tax return for 2021.

Note that the time limit to do 2021's tax return is very near, so you will have to get onto it fairly soon.

If you got your CdS under the Withdrawal Agreement, the date your CdS was issued is very unlikely to be the date you moved to France because normally you would have had to be established in France before 31.12.2020 to qualify. The date you moved to France would be the date you put on your application form as the date you moved to France. That date doesn't change.

If you came on a visa then the date you arrived in France would be the date when you actually crossed the border, so again, probably a month or so earlier than the date your CdS was issued.

As said, you declare your income from the date you arrived. 182 days is nothing to do with anything really. Even if you only moved to France in November, technically you should declare for the last 2 months of the year. 

Get your skates on !!