Declaring Foreign Bank Accounts

ssomon

This year I decided to declare my Paypal and Wise accounts, although I never keep any funds in them, as they were specifically mentioned in a pop-up warning which appeared whilst making my tax return.

This took a considerable time, as after searching for and noting the postal and web addresses and account numbers, several of the fields to be completed accept only alphanumeric characters, and the system throws up an error message and deletes the entry if it doesn't like it.

Paypal has no account numbers, as only email addresses are used, and both companies' addresses contain punctuation marks, symbols, and accents, which are not accepted, together with the format of Wise's address.

After several failed attempts I edited out all the punctuation and accents, wrote my email as "myname orange fr", and everything was accepted.

But what an idiotic way to format the fields. Maybe someone thinks that foreign addresses don't have accents, and account numbers the world over are formatted like French ones.

We ploughed through our returns today with help and finally found the S1 boxes, I have to ask why they are so complicated? When I was working I was freelance for over 40 years and did my tax returns every year, a walk in the park compared to the French forms. This is the second year we've had to do this and are quiet happy to pay our dues even with the complex system. When I was a young lad and complained about paying tax, an older colleague said, just thank your self lucky that you earn enough to pay it, lots of people dont.

Nick, I can only agree.  Doesn't help, eitehr, that they change something on the forms every year too.  Meanwhile, I have given up finding one sectin, it does not seem to be there .. so sent them a message, but for now, I've put it in, and in fact you get a long time to correct it, even after the deadline.  The important thing is to get the forms filled in as best you can by the deadline, adn go back to it later if you find any more.  Most of what I can't find is peanuts of interest and such anyway!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2022 at 17:35, ssomon said:

Paypal has no account numbers, as only email addresses are used,

9 minutes ago, cajal said:

They do, and they are 19 digits long.

Could you please tell me where to find mine?

I found only THIS

Log In to your account. Select -  the settings icon, situated next to the Log-Out button. Select -  Data and Privacy. Scroll down the page and select -  Manage Your Data. Select -  Download Your Data. Select - All Categories. Submit request.

When I followed this procedure several years ago, a part of the data they emailed, a couple of days later, contained the 19 digit account number.

• Like 1

I received the Paypal information this morning, and put the account number on the appropriate 3916.

Strange that their information sheet I linked to above states they have no account numbers.

What a performance, going through the entire declaration just to add a number.

As our financial advisor in Spain once told me, "Don't bother looking for any logic, just do what they want"