Attitude Problems?

Sad, before the recent software change, there were still a good handful or two of the regular posters here.  Now, it is a cemetary.

And I can't really find anywhere else they might have gone to.  I miss them.

• Like 1

Haven't been on the forum for yonks and have just found this thread which is full of interest😄

Nothing wrong with a bit of argument.  I myself like and enjoy the contentious topics.  What I dislike is when it all becomes predictable and aggresive.

I used to get quite stewed up by some of the posts but then along will come a reasonable person like Catalpa or ET and the waters calm again.

The MOST ridiculous thing that has ever been posted in my opinion is when ALBF keeps banging on about people who do not live in the "real France".  So I live in a quiet village in the Dordogne and I actually LIKE it here.  I don't think mine is an "unreal" life.

When I was working, I enjoyed a very varied career, in my leisure times I have done lots of crazy physical and mental challenges, I have travelled a bit, met lots of people and while I have, for the moment, come to rest in one place without wishing to be elsewhere, I find my life real enough.

I think I am echoing ET in what she says about all experiences being valid.  Of course they are! 

ET, read any good policiers lately?  I don't seem to have read any French books for a while.  Recommendations, anyone?😀

• Like 1

Mint!  Hola!  No, I've not been to Spain, but back to blighty - at last !  Saw all the fmaily and did lots of thngs I've not been able to do for ages, plus some I can't do here.  Did I tellyou I got the good news I hoped for in April, hence the longer than usual trip.

As for this forum, and this 'ere post in particular, I've popped in and out along the way, though I certainly had more entertaining things to do on my hols than pop in often .. so I missed most of the repartee .. as I have said more than once on this Forum, France, and anywhere else you might live, is what you make of it. Where you live depends on what you like to do, and how you integrate or not, also on you passions.  Not everyone is politically minded to discuss all and sundry, albeit being politically educated as much as is required.  For example, since I cannot vote, who is who in French politics is raelly not a great interest ... but I do keep in touch with is as much as I need ..

Even if I lived back in the UK, I would get involved in those things I am interested in and not in the ones I am not.  Likewise in France.  C'est la vie.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, menthe said:

ET, read any good policiers lately?  I don't seem to have read any French books for a while.  Recommendations, anyone?😀

Funny you should ask that Mint cos I'm chain-reading them at the moment! I'm doing my usual summer work thing and policiers are my go-to drug to help me relax of an evening and days off. I'm getting through on average two every 3 weeks. For want of a better way of deciding what to get next, I've started doing a search on "Prix du quai des Orfèvres", on the basis that if it won a prize it can't be bad, and working my way through the ones that are available second hand for a couple of euro. Some have been better tha others but none has been a dud and there's been a couple of crackers that I couldn't put down. All well written and well plotted and I've discovered a couple of authors that I intend to pursue further. 

I've also gone back to Bernard Minier, I used to be a fan and then I read one I didn't much like and it put me off, but I just read Soeurs and enjoyed it.

Who needs real life when it's so much nicer to escape into a book :-)

• Thanks 1

Asking this question as there has been some activity on this thread.  Have a feeling of impending doom as far as this forum is concerned.  Is there a way we will know that management has lost interest totally supporting it and just shut it down?  It would be a shame if I could not say goodbye to everyone one.  The forum helped us a lot in the early days.

Is there a Facebook page, for example, where we could check in if the forum suddenly stops?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lehaut said:

Asking this question as there has been some activity on this thread.  Have a feeling of impending doom as far as this forum is concerned.  Is there a way we will know that management has lost interest totally supporting it and just shut it down?  It would be a shame if I could not say goodbye to everyone one.  The forum helped us a lot in the early days.

Is there a Facebook page, for example, where we could check in if the forum suddenly stops?

Sad to hear this, as I think a those of us who are left are fearing this could happen. Unfortunately, most of the older generation don't do Facebook. It would be a crying shame if this site did stop as over the years as you said, it has been very helpful and even great fun at times, e.g. Grumpy Norman in his barrel. So how about starting one Lehaut if the worst should happen, if you do I'd follow it. I hope that thought doesn't put you off. 😊☺️

• Like 1

Management has been contacted; they are having difficulty moving our Forum and perhaps others into a different electronic set up. But they are trying.

No need for the Forum to die if it remains relevant and if folks post.

Norman is sadly missed; I think he got woodworm in his barrel which spread to his wooden leg so feels disinclined to post in case he spreads it further. And that other bright spark ALBF has been brought under control by his wife and told there have to be more babies so he has locked himself in the dunghy and cries most days.

On the other hand the Tour de France is again showing the true beauty of the country even if it a little brown, plus some very good racing. But no French winners yet, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

Today is Tax Freedom Day, the day when the French State allows you to spend your money yourself having taxed the bejabbers out of the population for 7.5 months of the year. But what do they spend it on, one might ask?

A bloody great palace for the little man in the badly fitting suit.

4 hours ago, menthe said:

Er.....who is the "little man in the badly fitting suit" stp?

I guess that it's Mr Macron. Although I'm I'm not sure what stp has to do with it? Urban dictionary: stp, stand to pee. 😊 😊

stp,  you may surprise yourself.  Couple of years ago my wife wanted to use the toilet in a McD's in Marseille  (we like their coffee).  As she approached the ladies, a very attractive eastern European woman came out of the gents, and advise my wife not to use the ladies or the gents as someone had "decorated" the seats and surrounds.  Only seeing a urinal behind the lady, my wife asked if she had use that, and how!  Don't worry, said the other woman, you will figure it out, gave her brief instructions and left.  Needs must, so she figured it out!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jasmine said:

amm yess:/

Hmm, for those of you who are unaware, this thread was created as a sideways swipe at myself by the op, regarding a reply I posted on a different thread.  I questioned a reply by a particular politically driven member regarding his persistent references and comments to the political situation in the UK. The thread in question was concerning the French presidential election.

To date this thread has attracted more than 2800 views and 94 replies. I'd say that would justify a popular category of post.

As I said towards the beginning of this thread, people move to other countries, people die, people become bored and distracted by other events in their lives, people move to alternative social media and, added to that, since the software change and the inability of members to create new topics/posts, the forum's credibility has fallen off the edge of a cliff.

Y'all have a nice day and go careful in that there sun. 😊

Cajal, this has nothing to do with your post except the bit about "the inability of members to create new topics/posts"  I hadn't realised that this was a problem until now.

I tried to post something about cooking with fennel in the Sport, Pastimes, etc topic as there was no good fit for the topic.

As you have said, page comes up to say "no".  Then another page saying the page/whatever I wanted was no longer available/had been removed.

I'm out of here for now.....total waste of time👾

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2022 at 21:29, menthe said:

The MOST ridiculous thing that has ever been posted in my opinion is when ALBF keeps banging on about people who do not live in the "real France".  So I live in a quiet village in the Dordogne and I actually LIKE it here.  I don't think mine is an "unreal" life.

Hmmmm..... not so sure. France is not on the whole a quiet village in the Dordogne. Just watch the French news. Which I have stopped doing BTW because it is is too violent to watch now. 

But that said, 'unreal' France is very nice. I do agree with you on that point.

Is it reality ?

Also, is it liveable long term/for life for immigrants/expats ?

No.

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

ABLF, where have you been, 

Been living in 'unreal' France for last two months renovating the 300 year old family French house in Charolais. Yes her ancestors having been living there that long. 😀 We have the genealogy to prove it.

Cows and flies to keep me company. 

We are thinking once it is done (two year project) we might move there.

Unreal France here I come. 😂