French government site for warning of product recalls

I check that site nearly daily.  I am often shocked at the volume of recalled food.  Nearly all ice-creams, at some point, surpass the approved amount of oxyde d’éthylène, among other possibles..

And cheeses made with lait cru ...  good grief.

What continues to annoy me is the ease with which they could inform people directly but don't.  Most supermarkets have loyalty cards.  With the change in the law that comes in in 2023, till receipts for over 20€ will be banned, you can receive them directly and quickly by email.  So the supermarkets know exactly what you have bought and, in many cases, already have the means to contact the buyers of these "dangerous" products (I believe 2 children have already died (https://www.sudinfo.be/id453490/article/2022-03-30/des-dizaines-denfants-malades-et-2-morts-apres-avoir-mange-des-pizzas-surgelees#:~:text=Les autorités sanitaires ont établi,et que deux sont morts.))

For many months, all our till receipts have been available on our Leclerc, Lidl and SuperU apps. We have received one email warning in all this time.  Personally I think they are reluctant to do it as there are so many recalls, it will start to alarm clients. 

Oh I'm right there with you Lehaut.  Until I became aware of the recall website, I often wondered how on earth France could have so few recalled foods when - say the USA - has an abundance of them.  Then, I found the French recall website.  It was an eye opener.

They certainly don't make it easy to find this information.  Yes, the recent Pizza and the Kinder recalls have sent people to the hospital, so they have made fairly big headlines, yet I still see Kinder egg advertisements on the tele, even today.

1 hour ago, Lehaut said:

What continues to annoy me is the ease with which they could inform people directly but don't.  Most supermarkets have loyalty cards.  With the change in the law that comes in in 2023, till receipts for over 20€ will be banned, you can receive them directly and quickly by email.  So the supermarkets know exactly what you have bought and, in many cases, already have the means to contact the buyers of these "dangerous" products (I believe 2 children have already died (https://www.sudinfo.be/id453490/article/2022-03-30/des-dizaines-denfants-malades-et-2-morts-apres-avoir-mange-des-pizzas-surgelees#:~:text=Les autorités sanitaires ont établi,et que deux sont morts.))

For many months, all our till receipts have been available on our Leclerc, Lidl and SuperU apps. We have received one email warning in all this time.  Personally I think they are reluctant to do it as there are so many recalls, it will start to alarm clients. 

I understand that the customer will still be able to ask for a receipt.

"Plusieurs grandes enseignes ont annoncé vouloir mettre fin à l’impression automatique du ticket de caisse papier"

SOURCE

I'm sure they do. Carte blanche for supermarkets etc. to make even more "mistakes" in charging - which usually somehow manage to be in their favour.

On a large percentage of our visits to supermarkets there are significant errors in the charges shown on the receipts, so we check these immediately after we have paid, while the goods are still in the trolley, and can be checked by the staff on the enquiries stand, who often have to run about checking the prices shown on the shelves..

The errors are usually due to special offers shown not being recorded on the till data because it hasn't been updated.

We don't have smart phones (and probably wouldn't carry them everywhere if we did), so won't be able to check for discrepancies until we get home.

So we then have to balance the amount overcharged against the inconvenience and cost of driving back with the goods, plus the likelihood of the staff believing there was a mistake.

If the government and knee-jerk environmentalists really want to save money on useless paper, how about banning election posters and leaflets, the piles of commercial publicity stuffed into our letter boxes, and the propaganda magazines produced by towns, communes, and communes de communes (agglos)?

While on the subject of till receipts, we record the petrol we put in our cars in notebooks for that purpose, as a change in fuel consumption can be an indication of developing problems.

After filling up in Spain last week, I checked the ticket and told my wife how many litres I had just put in. She had actually already checked the pump, but said the amount I gave her was more than she had recorded. So I went back to the cashier to query this.

He replied that he had altered the number of litres to cover the cost of a couple of packets of sweets and doughnuts I had bought, as "this was simpler".

We're still wondering what the fiddle is, as I don't think falsifying the records of fuel sold is "simple".

Is it connected to the 30 cents per litre government subsidy, or, as my wife suggests, does it mean there is more petrol left in the tanks than there should be, so that someone can fill up their car without its being noticed?

I can assure you that we are equally as vigilant with Supermarkets and their dodgy pricing routines, and have challenged them on numerous occasions.  The one advantage of the phone receipt is its a lot easier to read as it both clearer and bigger, easier on the aging eyes!

Each to their own with smart phones, could not imagine life without one.