Bank Problems

idun

I have now sent copies of all communications to my Euro MP, highlighting not only my plight, but also advising him that this practice is being implemented by French banks nationally. I should perhaps mention that I was employed in the UK banking industry for many years, I have designed Europe wide banking platforms from the ground up, and well versed in FSA regs, money laundering legislation, and that I am fully aware that all requests for transfers should be processed the day that they are received. Cross border transfers should be a simple process, European banking legislation exists to allow this. The French banks are operating a virtual cartel of obstruction that has no grounds in law. It is obstruction, pure and simple.

All that Caisse D'Epargne had to do on day 1 was confirm my identity, that the source of the funds was legitimate, and accept the instruction, then transfer the funds, the fact that they have not is beyond belief.

Rob G

Oh I agree completely, and as I was with mine a while ago, I would be screaming blue murder.

I don't know your bank in France at all I'm afraid, although I have had enough problems with several of mine, how they treat 'bad' customers, well I dread to think.

[quote user="Wibblywobbly"]Did you get any luck with your transfer?

I sold a property that completed 6 June, I returned to the UK 4 April, having first paid a visit to my bank to confirm that there would be no problem with the transfer of the fund to the UK.

Then the nightmare started. There was no email address on the bank website, so I asked my immobiler to get one, and after a week I get an email from the bank. What did I want?
I told them that I wanted funds transferred to my UK bank via HIFX, thinking that this would be simple, I gave them all of the details.
I am then asked for:
A copy of my passport.
Utility bills.
Evidence of Employment.
Evidence of State Benefits.
Copies of payslips.

I also gave them the Immobilier and Notaire contact details.

I send all of this.
Two reminders for a reply and I am sent a form to sign confirming that I have no income???

This was signed, scanned and sent back, the original went in the post.
More reminders for a reply. No response.

I even asked a French speaking friend (an immobilier 200 yards from the branch) to give them a call and find out what the problem was. They refused to talk to her as they do not have an account with them?

I then send another email asking if the transfer can now go ahead, or do I need to drive down there and do this personally?

I get an email not answering the question, but telling me that the matter has been referred to the 'Executive Committee', who will make a decision on 12 July? It doesn't even tell me what they are going to decide...???

This is my worst nightmare. I have no idea how to transfer the money electronically on the website, I can't see anything that will allow me to do that, it's Caisse D'Epargne, so if it is possible and anyone knows how to do it, could they point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.

Rob G
[/quote]

I am with the same bank and after my own personal banking experiences I fully sympathise with your problem.

A suggestion:

Write a letter in French (get a rough translation on Google and ask a French speaker to correct the grammar etc).

Make sure you include all the international account numbers with names and addresses. When I did this they wanted to know what the transfer was for, none of their business but no harm in telling them something if it will speed up matters.

Paste this on their online secure message service.

They cannot deny receipt and you should receive an answer.

How?

Click contacts (top of their page)

Click contactez-nous

Under Service Relations Clientèle :

Click ‘remplissez le formulaire.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, but trust me, they have had umpteen perfectly clear emails, acknowledged them, stated that all the documentation is in order, and had proof of the source of the funds. I have also faxed them the instruction, and sent the original by post. Despite me doing everything that they have requested within minutes of me getting an email, they have simply asked another question. In response to the question on day 1 "What do I need to do to transfer xxx,xxx euro's to HIFX?' they could have quite simply listed the requirements. Whatever they were, I would have done them. They didn't do that, they simply asked me for something else, and keep doing it, then when I provided it, asked me for something else. When they ran out of things to ask for, they said that a decision would be made at a meeting on 12th, following which they did nothing, and told me nothing, and still didn't make the transfer or tell me that they were not going to, or why...and still haven't.

I have spoken with HIFX today, and they have sent confirmation to CD'E confirming that I have an account with them, and confirmation of their FSA credentials.

Still no response from CD'E. They have simply gone silent.

I will try the link that you gave, thanks for that, much appreciated.

Rob G

Yes I realise you have done a lot but with due respect, E-mails are not in my opinion a formal way of communication, letters yes but were they sent LRAR?

As for the bank, they are still in the dark ages and are probably more used to writing on stone with a hammer and chisel.

Giving your problem a bit more thought, I gather you are communicating with your own branch. If like mine they are a small office with little staff and do not know much about international matters. It may help contacting the head office where someone may speak English if needed.

Try this number:

Appels depuis l'international et les TOM : 
00 33 9 69 36 27 38

When I had a problem the other week I called my euro MP's office in Brussels and spoke to someone really pleasant and helpful. I didn't just email. My euro MP also has an office in the UK, but as it was only 8am'ish when I wanted to call, then Brussels it was.

I have pm'd you.

The final chapter.

My immobilier in Chateaubriant returned from a holiday in the States this week. We get on very well, so I dropped her an email telling her the saga so far. She simply picked up the phone, rang the bank, and they transferred the money.

They claimed that they did not who I was, which was of course complete hogwash, they had more proof of my identity than you can shake a stick at.

The exchange rate changes have probably cost me a couple of thousand in sterling, and I am not happy about that. If/when the MP or MEP get back to me, I will still ask them to look at what is going on in France, this 'hanging on to the money' is not right, and if it is costing customers large sums of money then something needs to be done. There is no reason why the bank cannot verify an identity, and complete the transfer in 1 day. It is not rocket science.

May I take this opportunity to thank Idun for his assistance on this forum, it something that I appreciate more than words can say.

Regards

Rob G