How do the French manage to pick up such weird words?

ssomon

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

please tell me how animals are called in different regions of France ?

i mean how they would call cat in the north , south, west or east of France, or even the different regions 

Thanks ssomon, now I know!?  I use groundnut oil (peanut oil doesn't sound right either?) for all frying, olive oil for salads and roasting and the "quatre d'huiles" stuff for making cakes.

I used to wonder a bit at "profiter" to mean take advantage of, make the most of as in "c'est le beau temps, on en profite".  But now I can see how nice it is to mention "profit" with no reference to anything to do with money!!!

The other word I like is "insister" to mean, persevere, keep at it, etc.

I think I make wonderful and often amusing discoveries in the French langue everyday.

14 hours ago, menthe said:

Thanks ssomon, now I know!?  I use groundnut oil (peanut oil doesn't sound right either?) for all frying, olive oil for salads and roasting and the "quatre d'huiles" stuff for making cakes.

I used to wonder a bit at "profiter" to mean take advantage of, make the most of as in "c'est le beau temps, on en profite".  But now I can see how nice it is to mention "profit" with no reference to anything to do with money!!!

The other word I like is "insister" to mean, persevere, keep at it, etc.

I think I make wonderful and often amusing discoveries in the French langue everyday.

Our household name for peanut oil is "spider oil" 

ARACHnophobia!

• 2 weeks later...

Harnser, I'd happily buy a large bottle of spider oil, except it is now unavailable where I live.  Not Leclerc, not Intermarché and I don't know what other oil I would want to fry with.

Also couldn't find any huile de pépin (is that what it's called?).  That also has a high boiling point and doesn't smoke.

All the oil available seems to be sunflower or colza and I really do not like to fry with either as there is always a smell of frying with them.

Might try some bigger supermarkets when I make one of my rare forays to Périgueux later in the week.

Happy Spider Oil hunting!

Colza oil or rapeseed oil is the frying oil of choice for UK chippies  as they don't use lard anymore, as least down south, I don't know what they do up in the festering north with their whippets, caps and mufflers? 

Don't know if you include Scotland by the "north".  As for frying Mars bars, I am not sure which oil they do use.

Trouble with cheaper oils is that I can smell them frying and think of the Fun Fair in Porthcawl (where I last lived before France) or Barry Island.  It always smells like cheap, stale fat.

I don't do deep fry but shallow fry quite a lot of foods.

Looking further into this it seems that palm oil is also used by UK chip shops as it lasts longer. I've no idea what colza/rapeseed oil smells like when frying as OH cannot eat food fried in or containing colza as it upsets her stomach badly.

My joke about the north was a workplace joke/ banter from long ago - apologies to anybody who hails from there.

23 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Have you ever tried dry frying, Minteroonie?

Yes indeed, I have been looking at dry fryers but still undecided whether I want or have place for yet another gadget in my kitchen.  I reorganised and refitted my kitchen a few years ago and now it is the most clutter-free room in my entire house (including the sous-sol)

Do you have a dry fryer, Wools?  Are they as versatile as the advertising hyperboles claim?  Serious question;