Why do British peeps living in France beat the UK down ?

alittlebitfrench

25 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

My IP address has not changed for the last 10 years.

Jimbo123 (1 post) what are you trying to say/ask ?

Spit it out my friend. 

Tell this forum what is on your chest. 

If Jimbo123 is trying to challenge your online behaviour, he should perhaps first erase his own. Eugh!!!!

1 minute ago, betise said:

If Jimbo123 is trying to challenge your online behaviour, he should perhaps first erase his own. Eugh!!!!

Now now.

Order order.

Let Jimbo 123 explain himself. Guessing it is a him...or maybe he is a her .....or possibly has no gender at all. 

Who knows..

Everyone is welcome on this forum ?

ALBF 'Why do peeps living in France beat the UK down ?'

Well you have asked a question!     As you have pointed out, Britain is a great country, has its problems of course but essentially it nurtured everyone here so it can't be bad! So what is the reason ? My belief is that those who continually knock Britain are, in the main, embittered 'remainers'. 

Oh! I read of all sorts of reasons as to why Britain is poor at this or that but it is always Britain, rarely France or any other country. No doubt feelings here will be 'Brexit' again' he can't leave it alone! The fact is there has to be a real reason for the continued criticism of the U.K. They don't like it but I feel that is the reason.

Rule Britannia!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken said:

ALBF 'Why do peeps living in France beat the UK down ?'

Well you have asked a question!     As you have pointed out, Britain is a great country, has its problems of course but essentially it nurtured everyone here so it can't be bad! So what is the reason ? My belief is that those who continually knock Britain are, in the main, embittered 'remainers'. 

Oh! I read of all sorts of reasons as to why Britain is poor at this or that but it is always Britain, rarely France or any other country. No doubt feelings here will be 'Brexit' again' he can't leave it alone! The fact is there has to be a real reason for the continued criticism of the U.K. They don't like it but I feel that is the reason.

Rule Britannia!

If you want to hear about people knocking France, you probably have to read French (language) forums.

• Like 1

Not sure why I started this thread now. ?

Anyway, I think the UK is a very very nice place. Well IMHO. 

It is such a pleasure to visit after all the cr@p you have to deal with in France. 

I like France and I like the UK. I just can't decide which country I would prefer to live in.

I know that everyone in our family (the French ones) would move tomorrow if I said yes.

Me ???...I dunno. 

Edited by alittlebitfrench

2 hours ago, betise said:

If you want to hear about people knocking France, you probably have to read French (language) forums.

You are possibly right. Though I'm not at all sure why anyone would want to read about anyone knocking any country! I don't! Presumably you mean that as this is an English (language) forum then it's o.k. to knock the U.K.! 

1 hour ago, Ken said:

You are possibly right. Though I'm not at all sure why anyone would want to read about anyone knocking any country! I don't! Presumably you mean that as this is an English (language) forum then it's o.k. to knock the U.K.! 

No, that is not what I mean. And I expect that you already knew that.

16 minutes ago, betise said:

No, that is not what I mean. And I expect that you already knew that.

No, I'm afraid not. If, what I said isn't what you meant perhaps you could clarify for me. I don't know why you specifically mentioned France anyway. I do understand a French forum may be critical of France, but I wouldn't really know. I do know that people here criticise the U.K. and this isn't strictly an English forum, there are French nationals on it!!

Hesitant to put my head above the parapet  but might I suggest ALBF that part of the reason you enjoyed your trip to England was because of just that. It was a trip, a holiday, a bit of R&R. You didn't have to suffer the daily commute, or try to get a doctor's appointment, find a parking space close to the shops, or deal with the planning authorities. All those niggling little things us expats had to start doing once our own 'holiday period' came to an end. I lived in the UK during my thirties and found it a pleasant enough country ( although the casual racism was a little surprising ). Parochial but you can get that in most countries if you look hard enough. I don't remember seeing anyone 'beating the UK down' on here just for the sake of it. Most people still have some skin in the game either as pensioners ( in which case they're concerned with the UK economy ) or because they still have family members there. It's an English language forum populated mostly by Brits. You can't expect the subject not to come up.

Some fine points you have made Mr Lister.

Of course (like others) I read other French forums and many if not most participants do beat down the UK. 

But they live here but don't live here. If you know what I mean. Most have no idea of what day to day French life is all about. They tend to walk dogs and renovate stuff. ?

But to broaden the debate, the British media beats down the UK as well. What is all that about ?

Imagine if the Daily Mail existed in France !

It would be a horror story.

I dunno. I like the UK a lot.

I like it more and more. 

We're thinking about moving back to the UK after 17 years of living here, our biggest concerns are the state of the NHS and the absolute shower that are running the country. Two recent visits haven't put us off and I'm sure we'll slot straight back in although moving from the countryside to a largish city will be a shock I'm sure.

26 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Some fine points you have made Mr Lister.

Of course (like others) I read other French forums and many if not most participants do beat down the UK. 

But they live here but don't live here. If you know what I mean. Most have no idea of what day to day French life is all about. They tend to walk dogs and renovate stuff. ?

But to broaden the debate, the British media beats down the UK as well. What is all that about ?

Imagine if the Daily Mail existed in France !

It would be a horror story.

I dunno. I like the UK a lot.

I like it more and more. 

I think you can put that down to the rise of the press ( now media ) barons. It's no coincidence that the most rabid media exists in countries where Mr Murdochs' empire have a hold.

59 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

We're thinking about moving back to the UK after 17 years of living here, our biggest concerns are the state of the NHS and the absolute shower that are running the country. Two recent visits haven't put us off and I'm sure we'll slot straight back in although moving from the countryside to a largish city will be a shock I'm sure.

Why move to a city ?

Tours is like Petersfield or other small towns in the UK. Tours is a city and Petersfield is a small town. But they are the same.

They are identical. 

What I am saying is that rural UK is like a large towns or small cities in France.

I would never EVER move to a large city in the UK. Nooo way. 

Do you get what I mean ?

Edited by alittlebitfrench

We're from Norwich ALBF and it's a great place to live, if you've never been there you wouldn't understand - 90 minutes from London, the coast is 45 mins away, loads of things to do, two universities, a modern hospital, low crime rate, a decent football club and tons of restaurants, bars, cafes etc. 

48 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

We're from Norwich ALBF and it's a great place to live, if you've never been there you wouldn't understand - 90 minutes from London, the coast is 45 mins away, loads of things to do, two universities, a modern hospital, low crime rate, a decent football club and tons of restaurants, bars, cafes etc. 

My Grandma was born and bred in Norwich would you believe.

But I have never been myself.

14 hours ago, DaveLister said:

I think you can put that down to the rise of the press ( now media ) barons. It's no coincidence that the most rabid media exists in countries where Mr Murdochs' empire have a hold.

In the U.K. the press has always been very powerful. Often it does  overstep the 'mark' but overall it is , I think, an excellent 'regulator'. A free press should always be argued for. The press in the U.K. covers the whole spectrum from extreme left to extreme right and serves to keep all sorts of people, particularly politicians, in line! I do believe the media in the U.K. is far better than coverage in most, if not all countries. Murdoch, incidentally, though very powerful isn't as powerful as perhaps is thought. He 'only' owns the Sun and Times plus some dealings with the press association. I gave up with the Times years ago when , after he acquired it the political comments changed  dramatically. towards the left. As for the Sun! Well it is very popular. Do they still have a page 3 girl I wonder,

13 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

"A decent football club" Have you watched them lately?  ?