Is it too late to replant a Meribel tree ?

alittlebitfrench

Right OK....

I bought OH a Meribel tree because she is half from the Vosges region and we all like Meribel tarts.

I transplanted it late last year because it was in the wrong place. In fact it was in the garden pond that I am building. But that is another story.

It is quite happy where it is now, but it is now somewhere I don't want it. It is the bike shed....which I am building. But that is another story. 

So I want to move it again (it is only small) but am I too late for this year ?

My garden is starting to bloom. 

I don't want to kill it. I can't kill it. If I kill it, I am dead too. 

Should I let it be or give it one more go ?

Help !

Edited by alittlebitfrench

Odd post, albf, you ok? Well, it is a bit late but if you dig deep and get most of the roots in a ball of earth and then plant it with loads of fertiliser, good compost and water it should be ok. Alternatively, buy another one but bigger and plant it where you want it then get rid of the first one, telling the little fib that it was diseased and had to go. Or keep both and tell OH you love her twice as much as last year. BUT dont make a habit of it,or you will have an orchard! 

4 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Well, it is a bit late 

That is my feeling. I will let it be.

Thanks wooly.

It is middle March out there today in the garden.

Everything is going for it. And so are the birds.

It is a bird party out there.  

This is the first day chez ALBF without a log fire since October.

Bring on the summer. 

Edited by alittlebitfrench

If it was "transplanted late last year" I read that as transplanted somewhere between October and December 2021. So it has been in its new spot for less than 6 months?

If that is correct, as you've moved it once, I don't see any reason not to move it again before the end of this month as it won't have put much effort into growing new roots. Move it on a day where there is no frost in the ground, prepare the hole carefully so that it doesn't run the risk of becoming waterlogged if you get a lot of rain in early spring, and try not to lose any of the existing soil from around the root ball.

If we move a tree or shrub that was well-established, we run a few lengths of old hose pipe under the rootball and out of the earth at the surface. We poke a few holes in the hose pipe where it runs under the plant. If it turns out to be a very dry spring or summer, we can water the plant (or tree) by putting water down the hosepipe from the surface so that water goes where it is needed and encourages the roots to grow down to the water source.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to reply to this:

You didn't mention how well-grown the tree is. When a tree (or shrub) is recently transplanted in spring, if it bursts too enthusiastically into leaf, that may place stress on the existing root system by summer, esp if it's a dry season. If it's a particularly bushy specimen, it might be worth thinning it out the shoots for this year so it doesn't have too much lush, leafy growth to support.

19 hours ago, Catalpa said:

I forgot to reply to this:

You didn't mention how well-grown the tree is. When a tree (or shrub) is recently transplanted in spring, if it bursts too enthusiastically into leaf, that may place stress on the existing root system by summer, esp if it's a dry season. If it's a particularly bushy specimen, it might be worth thinning it out the shoots for this year so it doesn't have too much lush, leafy growth to support.

It is a little tree. 1.5 metre high. 

It has just blossomed...so it will stay where it is for the moment.

Thanks for asking ?