Foreign policy crumbles

It looks as if French foreign policy in the Sahel region is crumbling as its former(?) colonies assert themselves; the French ambassador to Mali has been expelled and there are rumours that others in the area are sick of the French such as Chad and Niger.

Their military presence there has been largely confined to trying to reduce/control/ eradicate Boko Harem’s extreme Islamist influence, backed as they are by Gulf States money.

The French have lost a good few troops and have withdrawn a good few. They are being replaced by Russian mercenaries who will not only prop up the latest group of colonels who overthrew the last President, but will also take on Boko Haram, rather less gently one feels. And, of course, spread the good word about the Russia!

Yet another problem for Macron.

Russia is a problem for everybody.

Still, at least the Russians seem to feel obliged to take Macron seriously and haven't started poking fun at him on the world stage.

https://news.sky.com/story/senior-ru...hless-12530767

"Russia's Deputy UN Ambassador, Dmitry Polyanskiy, told Sky News: "There is always room for diplomacy, but frankly, we don't trust British diplomacy. I think in recent years British diplomacy has shown that it is absolutely worthless. I really don't want to offend anybody, especially my good friends, British diplomats, but really, the results are nothing to boast about."

Not that anybody trusts Russion diplomacy either, but the fact that any diplomat on the world stage feels empowered to say something like that, confident that there will be no gasps of outrage, no "friends" rushing to defend the UK and no international backlash, from other countries because by and large they agree, is rather sad for the UK.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

It looks as if French foreign policy in the Sahel region is crumbling as its former(?) colonies assert themselves; the French ambassador to Mali has been expelled and there are rumours that others in the area are sick of the French such as Chad and Niger.

Their military presence there has been largely confined to trying to reduce/control/ eradicate Boko Harem’s extreme Islamist influence, backed as they are by Gulf States money.

The French have lost a good few troops and have withdrawn a good few. They are being replaced by Russian mercenaries who will not only prop up the latest group of colonels who overthrew the last President, but will also take on Boko Haram, rather less gently one feels. And, of course, spread the good word about the Russia!

Yet another problem for Macron.

I would have to research if other countries are helping the French out in Africa but I know the British are with helicopters and supplies. Not that Macron would emphasise that of course! As for the Russian trying to discredit British diplomacy, A Russian for heavens sake!!! Britain has never  had friends who would go the 100% for it. Unlike Britain which has gone all the way several times throughout history for Europe.  Fortunately countries like Australia, New Zealand and Canada have gone the whole way, and more to help us; even the USA is a better friend than Europe. Why Britain tolerates European politicians is beyond me.

• Like 3