Well, France is still France

There will certainly be those  'ex-pats' who die here; and be buried, cremated or whatever; I shall be one of them!!  But ;generally I do believe the vast majority go back before that unfortunate time arrives!. 

Most Brits who can't afford to return to the UK will get cremated in France. They can't afford a place in a French cemetry either that is for sure. ? It will cost more than their house. Even with a few gîtes.

I guess that is why the Dordogne is such fertile farming land ?  All those ashes. 

Move to France and in 20 years and you will turn into a vegetable. 

A Brussel sprout, a carrot...or a bean.

A Mr Bean ? 

Fodder for foie Gras ! ?

The list is endless.

I bet they don't tell you that at the French property exhibition in Earls Court. ?

Edited by alittlebitfrench

2 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Most Brits who can't afford to return to the UK will get cremated in France. They can't afford a place in a French cemetry either that is for sure. ? It will cost more than their house. Even with a few gîtes.

Oi ALBF, Lori is not a Brit, and I'll be cremated because I've no truck with religion, and care not a hoot about my earthly remains. As I said, they can twang me put of a tree for all I care. Once I'm gone I'm gone.

On 05/02/2022 at 13:45, alittlebitfrench said:

France is a graveyard for Brits.....there is no doubt about that.

Failed dreams and all that.

But I often wonder where they get buried.

UK or France ? ?

Why failed dreams?  Perhaps they realised their dreams, lived very happily and are buried in their local cemeteries? Or are stored in a local colombarium?  Or their bodies were accepted by a local teaching hospital?  Then there's always the compost heap ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

guess that is why the Dordogne is such fertile farming land ?  All those ashes. 

Nope....it's all the non-conforming fosses emptying out onto the fields, and the French men peeing absolutely anywhere but into a toilet cuve ?

A recently-deceased Welsh friend, living in France for 25 years, left his body to medical science.  It was collected from his home in Brittany the day of his death. No funeral, cremation or burial required.

It seems strange not to have gathered with friends and family to see him off, but it’s what he wanted for his family.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Loiseau said:

It seems strange not to have gathered with friends and family to see him off, but it’s what he wanted for his family.

You (one) can still gather with friends and family, say a few words, anecdotes, etc, just without the casket. Seems perfectly satisfactory to me.

Having signed up to the process in advance, a friend's husband died (preceded by a long illness) and iIrc, one of the local funeral services took care of transport to the teaching hospital at Caen for around 200 euro. That's it, body gone, no cremation or other disposal fees to pay. She arranged two memorial parties in FR and UK which she and her OH felt would be a much better use of their funds.

OH and I aren't even slightly religious, don't feel the body is relevant once someone is dead, definitely don't want to rot down underground so it's what we've arranged. France has had a few scandals over the years with donated bodies being treated too casually so there's that to factor in but if you're happy with the idea...

Info: https://afif.asso.fr/francais/conseils/conseil15.html

Of course, putting the arrangements in place doesn't commit you. Once a partner has died, you don't have to go ahead with the donation. If reality causes wishes to alter, you just make traditional arrangements with the pompes funèbres at the time.

A recently-deceased Welsh friend, living in France for 25 years, left his body to medical science.  It was collected from his home in Brittany the day of his death. No funeral, cremation or burial required.

A good thing to do, but be aware that the cost of the final disposal of the remains still has to be paid for:

"Depuis 1887, la loi française autorise tout adulte à faire don de son corps à la science après son décès. C’est le principe de la liberté des funérailles. Toutefois, sachez qu’il ne s’agit en aucun cas d’échapper aux dépenses à engager en matière d’obsèques. En effet, cette démarche n’est pas gratuite !"

https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2016/02/12/2275958-faire-don-corps-science-cout.html

more details:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F180

• Like 1

I rather doubt that ‘medical science’ would be the slightest bit interested in my mortal remains.  Too dodgy!

As for Mrs G, a much more pleasant source than mine, but equably unacceptable due to the amount of (prescribed) medication flowing around.

In short ......... the medical authorities in the Gard won’t be fighting to get their hands on our remains !!!

Have to decide between the choice of two of our neighbours (both French; there are no other UK or Ireland around here now - there used to be 3 some years ago; I think we have a Dutch couple somewhere in the commune). On one side was a lady (good friend of my wife) who died 2-3 years ago and left her body to 'medical science' in thanks for the cancer care she received from the CHU in Toulouse; on the other side was a good friend (man) of 15 years who died last year and whose ashes are scattered at a beauty spot about 1km up the hill from us; I expect to follow in his wake.

Sorry Cartalpa, your post about leaving one's body to science is correct as can been seen from the link you gave, and mine which was based on word of mouth from the local Association of Crématistes was wrong

This shows the value of posting well-researched links from valid sources ..

En principe, Les frais de transport de la dépouille, puis d’inhumation ou de crémation, sont à la charge de l’établissement hospitalier, comme l’a rappelé une réponse ministérielle (n° 24046, J.O. du 8 mai 1995).
Dans la réalité, les associations de dons du corps rattachées aux facultés de médecine pour gérer la procédure demandent souvent une participation, loin d’être négligeable puisqu’elle peut aller de quelques centaines à plus de 1 000 €. La somme est réglée par le donateur au moment de la conclusion du contrat.

Réponse ministérielle n° 24046, J.O.A.N. 8 mai 1995, page 2382.
L'article R. 363-10 du code des communes stipule que les établissements d'hospitalisation, d'enseignement ou de recherche, qui acceptent un don de corps à la science, doit assurer à ses frais l'inhumation ou la crémation du corps. Par ailleurs, la loi n° 93-23 du 8 janvier 1993, relative à la législation funéraire a intégré par l'article L. 362-1 nouveau du code des communes, le transport avant mise en bière dans les opérations de pompes funèbres. De ce fait, le transport de corps avant mise en bière fait partie des funérailles et doit être pris en charge par les établissements d'hospitalisation, d'enseignement ou de recherche. Les facultés de médecine, qui sont les principaux établissements receveurs de don du corps à la science, doivent respecter la réglementation. Toute personne qui s'estimerait lésée par les agissements des établissements recevant les dons du corps est en droit d'engager une action devant les tribunaux compétents.

Extraits du code général des collectivités locales :
Article R. 2213-13
Un établissement de santé, de formation ou de recherche ne peut accepter de don de corps que si l'intéressé en a fait la déclaration écrite en entier, datée et signée de sa main. Cette déclaration peut contenir notamment l'indication de l'établissement auquel le corps est remis.
Une copie de la déclaration est adressée à l'établissement auquel le corps est légué ; cet établissement délivre à l'intéressé une carte de donateur, que celui-ci s'engage à porter en permanence.
L'exemplaire de la déclaration qui était détenu par le défunt est remis à l'officier d'état civil lors de la déclaration de décès.
Après le décès, le transport est déclaré préalablement, par tout moyen écrit, auprès du maire de la commune du lieu de décès ou de dépôt. La déclaration est subordonnée à la détention d'un extrait du certificat de décès prévu à l'article L. 2223-42 attestant que le décès ne pose pas de problème médico-légal et que le défunt n'était pas atteint d'une des infections transmissibles figurant sur l'une des listes mentionnées à l'article R. 2213-2-1.
Les opérations de transport sont achevées dans un délai maximum de quarante-huit heures à compter du décès.
L'établissement assure à ses frais l'inhumation ou la crémation du corps réalisé sans qu'il soit nécessaire de respecter les conditions prévues à l'article R. 2213-33 ou R. 2213-35