Tenancy exit

marina1

Hello,

I arrived in France last year and rented my first apartment here. The apartment was part of my landlord's main residence and when I arrived we did not do an etat des lieux and did not ask for it as I was not familiar with the French law. I am now leaving the apartment and my landlord states that it is not clean enough and needs me to leave it in perfect condition (which was not when I arrived) or he will charge me for cleaning from the deposit. Now, of course I have cleaned the apartment but he searches every nook and cranny. Does he have the right to do this? The contract does not state anything about cleaning, it states that I would be charged if any repairs are needed.

Thank you in advance.

Do you have a Bail?  Have you found another place to rent and do you need a reference from your current landlord for the new place?  The last tenant we had living under the conditions you list left not paying the last months rent but said we could keep his deposit in lieu.   I doubt he would chase you through the courts, too complex and too long.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F31270

Le locataire est considéré comme ayant reçu le logement en bon état de réparations locatives. Il devra le rendre en bon état de réparations locatives, sauf s'il peut prouver du mauvais état initial du logement. La preuve peut être apportée, par exemple, au moyen de photographies réalisées par un huissier (démarche payante).

Pour les autres réparations (travaux à la charge du bailleur ou vétusté: Content des lieux), c'est au propriétaire de démontrer qu'elles sont imputables au locataire.

Google translate

The tenant is considered to have received the accommodation in good repair condition. He will have to return it in good condition for rental repairs, unless he can prove the poor initial condition of the accommodation. Proof can be provided, for example, by means of photographs taken by a bailiff (paying process).

For other repairs (work at the expense of the lessor or dilapidated: Content of the premises), it is up to the owner to demonstrate that they are attributable to the tenant.

35 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

Do you have a Bail?  Have you found another place to rent and do you need a reference from your current landlord for the new place?  The last tenant we had living under the conditions you list left not paying the last months rent but said we could keep his deposit in lieu.   I doubt he would chase you through the courts, too complex and too long.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F31270

Le locataire est considéré comme ayant reçu le logement en bon état de réparations locatives. Il devra le rendre en bon état de réparations locatives, sauf s'il peut prouver du mauvais état initial du logement. La preuve peut être apportée, par exemple, au moyen de photographies réalisées par un huissier (démarche payante).

Pour les autres réparations (travaux à la charge du bailleur ou vétusté: Content des lieux), c'est au propriétaire de démontrer qu'elles sont imputables au locataire.

Google translate

The tenant is considered to have received the accommodation in good repair condition. He will have to return it in good condition for rental repairs, unless he can prove the poor initial condition of the accommodation. Proof can be provided, for example, by means of photographs taken by a bailiff (paying process).

For other repairs (work at the expense of the lessor or dilapidated: Content of the premises), it is up to the owner to demonstrate that they are attributable to the tenant.

I have already found another place to stay so I don't need a reference but I have paid all of my rents and I made a security deposit at the start of my contract which I want to get back.

When I arrived at the apartment they did say that they have taken photos of it, though I do not know if they did that with a bailiff.

Now, I know that my security deposit is supposed to go to any needed repairs, but how is that at all relatable to cleaning? 

If you try and gain useful guidance from say, an Avocat (Lawyer), then it will prove very expensive.

I know; I have used one!

However, France does have an equivalent to the UK Citizens' Advice Bureau.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Archive/Where-can-I-get-free-legal-advice

Clearly, Landlord-Tenant law is a complex process and you need to seek advice.

The lesson seems to be, here, ALWAYS demand a contract/agreement in writing, which would normally show duties and obligations.

Personally, I feel the landlord is trying to pull a fast one...

As they are inclined to do.