Carte Mobilite

Gardian

Actually, this is more about driving in the UK.

Mrs G has a carte mobilite, which is the ‘blue pass’ card which allows the disabled to use the designated parking spots.

We’ll (hopefully) be going to the UK in a month or two’s time and was wondering whether anybody knows whether our card will be recognised in the UK now that Brexit has happened?

I’d be tempted to just go ahead anyway, but I know that the authorities are getting better at cross-border fines these days.

25 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Actually, this is more about driving in the UK.

Mrs G has a carte mobilite, which is the ‘blue pass’ card which allows the disabled to use the designated parking spots.

We’ll (hopefully) be going to the UK in a month or two’s time and was wondering whether anybody knows whether our card will be recognised in the UK now that Brexit has happened?

I’d be tempted to just go ahead anyway, but I know that the authorities are getting better at cross-border fines these days.

I doubt that it would be valid in the UK. 

A UK blue badge can be used in many European countries - except France!

They are "undecided"  as of September last year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-using-it-in-the-eu/using-a-blue-badge-in-the-european-union#:~:text=You can use your UK,disabilities in the European Union

Another reason is that these badges are issued by UK local councils who are probably less likely to be aware that other european countries issue them as as well.

Having said all that, the cross border database co-operation for speeding etc was cancelled after brexit, so how are the UK authorities going to trace you, unless you get clamped at the time of the "offence" of course.

Try phoning the local council in the UK where you will be visiting?

Edited by Harnser
addition

Thanks Harnser - everything you’ve said makes sense.  I guess that the only problem with phoning the local council is that I might get the green light from them, but the jobsworth ‘on the ground’ just gives you a ticket.

BTW, I’ve just realised that I posted this last night in another area!  Think that it must have been a slight excess of CdR !!!

Yes ......... thanks for your replies you two.

You might be amused to learn that yesterday we received a €135 fine for parking in a ‘blue space’ at our local market ten days ago !

Now, you might be amused, but we were less than amused because we are always fastidious about displaying Mrs G’s Carte Mobilite on the dashboard.  BTW, the fine is €135 now, but €350 if you don’t pay within 45 days.

I spent 90 minutes of what remains of my life this morning going through the online ‘Contestation’ process.  Not easy.

The problem (I suspect) is that newly issued cards are like ‘carte bancaires’ - quite small and not like the A5 things before.  The bloke who did us, simply didn’t see the little card ........... probably.

Will post the outcome, but I’m not optimistic.  “The agent didn’t see your card, so you’re guilty as charged”.

Ouch!

Scan the minute card and blow up the image to A3. Stick on cardboard and ensure whenever you park in an invalid area (which you are clearly entitled to do) both the A3 card and the minute original are clearly displayed.

Personally, I utterly despise anyone who has sunk so low in life, that the only gainful employ they can find is to persecute motorists!

• Like 1

Not just any motorist but someone with a blue badge. Unless there is something you've missed I would be dead before I would pay any fine. In the UK I have successfully won 2 out of two cases in the tribuneral rooms against the sly councils.

Edited by Teapot1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1