Sealing OSB before painting.

Harnser

I built my small workshop panelling it with 11 mm OSB. I painted it inside using UK traditional oil based undercoat as a primer before white acrylic paint two coats. Tried just using acrylic without the undercoat but some parts of the OSB bleed through no matter how many coats are applied, probably oil or oily wood in the osb.

So,  finishing off the store room at the end of the workshop, what can I get here that will seal the surface and doesn't cost a fortune?

I'll try again! Damned system posted before I had finished!

Choice of two.

1. Cheap white emulsion paint:

2. PVA (Poly Vinyl Alcohol):

In the past we all used to whack on PVA to seal, for example, old whitewash before using Artex. Without the PVA sealer, then the Artex used to fall off! Same for wallpaper and indeed, emulsion paint.

BTW, artists who use hardboard instead of a proper stretched canvas on a cost basis, tend to seal the hardboard with white emulsion, which also provides them a nice "Ground".

6 hours ago, Harnser said:

what can I get here that will seal the surface and doesn't cost a fortune?

It might help if you were to define what you regard to be 'a fortune'.

HERE is one that could be thinned out and applied as a sealer and doesn't appear to cost a fortune.

5 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Been at all that Scotch already, Gluey??

Haven't a wee clue what happened, Woolly!

I switched to another screen keeping the forum screen open; and when I returned, the damned system had posted it.

Tried an edit but was told I was too late!

3 hours ago, cajal said:

It might help if you were to define what you regard to be 'a fortune'.

HERE is one that could be thinned out and applied as a sealer and doesn't appear to cost a fortune.

Thanks but the paint you linked to is a "Decorative and protective washable finish intended for woodwork, furniture, frames and metal supports covered with a suitable primer"

And there's about 30 sq metres to prime and seal so I will try diluted PVA on an offcut and see how that goes, but when the weather gets a bit warmer to allow it to dry out before test painting.  

Two coats of Mylands white emulsion (or their wood and metal paint) will cover it without a primer. But you can't get that paint here. Fantastic paint. And British. But it will work. 

Top quality undercoat paint costs a fortune in France.  I use ...Zinsers...which is the best IMHO.

Here are some options...

1) Apply a thin layer of lissage (https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/peinture-droguerie/sous-couche-et-enduit/enduit/enduit-de-lissage/enduit-de-lissage-toupret-rapid-liss-1-5-kg-en-pate-pour-mur-plafond-interieu-68613286.html

Sand it down then paint the plaster with what ever paint you like. Nice smooth finish !

2) Go to the shop 'Action' and buy some of their cheap white wash paint. It is about 5 euros for about 2.5 l. I used on my beams beform painting them with a proper paint. It worked. And they has a lasure on them. It is cheap and will need a few coats withe a roller. But it should do the job of an undercoat. Eventually. 

3) Another option. Given it is a garage....hang some 'toile de verre' on it. And then paint it !.

Given the hassle factor, I would still go for mylands...https://www.designerpaint.com/search?keyword=mylands

But if you can't get it, I skim the surface with a lissage. Then you would have a nice proper finish.

12 hours ago, Harnser said:

covered with a suitable primer"

It is rather ambiguous as to whether the 'suitable primer' refers to all categories or just the metal.

Either way, diluted with white spirit, this will act as the primer sealer for the OSB and because it is glycerol based there should not be the 'will it/won't it work' scenario. I've used thinned out eggshell before to seal leeching stains on timber. Good luck with whatever you choose.