Oops!

Gluestick

Had they actually elected JK Rowling as their "person" of the year according to the results of their online poll, they would probably have lost half their readership - which tells you a lot about their readers!

The Grauniad always trumpets that it is a defender of democracy - as long as they get the result they want!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gluestick said:

He has gone off in a huff; as discussion about illegal migrants crossing La Manche offended his Liberal-Left soul...

Yes,  I did know that,  it was rhetorical as it were.    Personally I think Norman viewed this forum as his fiefdom,   and it's reverted to a much more balanced situation without his rather condescending contributions.

We are of course all entitled to our views,   but I think his over-arching influence had discouraged many of us from posting.

• Thanks 1

Brit peeps in France that get French nationality because they think they are French....tend to be a bit 'bit'...!!!!...........you know what I mean. ?

These types do need to calm down a bit on forums. 

So you can pass a language test in France !!! Well done. 

Folks ! The Dordogne ain't France. 

Rant over. ?

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

Like Les Sept Vallées.

Well that is where are; when allowed back, of course...

The river valleys enjoy a micro climate: shorter Winters, early Spring and often Indian Summers. Can be very cold in Winter; temps of -20 are not unusual. We even suffered a toilet cistern freezing and cracking (we now empty it when we leave). When this happened we did not notice the cracks; until one evening, after a long day, I was in bed and suddenly heard shrieks from Mrs Gluey! She was happily ensconced on the loo when the cistern let go, soaked her and flooded the loo and corridor! So there was me in me underpants wielding a mop and I must admit laughing...

QUOTE GLUESTICK

...We even suffered a toilet cistern freezing and cracking (we now empty it when we leave). ...

Happened to me in the Vendee once, too, and that is supposed to be a lot balmier.  Like you, we learned the hard way to give all the loos a final flush to leave the cisterns empty.

15 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Brit peeps in France that get French nationality because they think they are French....tend to be a bit 'bit'...!!!!...........you know what I mean. ?

These types do need to calm down a bit on forums. 

So you can pass a language test in France !!! Well done. 

Folks ! The Dordogne ain't France. 

Rant over. ?

I will bite as I don't know what you mean, what "bit" am I ?  I live in Nantes, which is a city  in France and have double nationality.

Don't worry Lehaut, ALBF has made it quite clear before that he can't understand why anyone would apply for French nationality. Doesn't matter where you live, he will view you as an expat numpty. I believe he is trying for UK nationality for his wife though!

1 hour ago, betise said:

Don't worry Lehaut, ALBF has made it quite clear before that he can't understand why anyone would apply for French nationality. Doesn't matter where you live, he will view you as an expat numpty. I believe he is trying for UK nationality for his wife though!

Listen best mate, we have been married 17 years. Been together for over 25 years. We have 3 bilingual Anglo/French kids.

We both deserve both British and French nationality by right so that we can decide our destiny in either country without having to prove this that or the other.

Those getting a 'marriage of convenience ' in both France and the UK spoil it for the rest of us.

It bothers me. 

Edited by alittlebitfrench

18 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

BTW...how you finding the Expanse series 6 ?

Ah, good question.  I put season 6 and the rest on my Kindle and have read them up to 8.  Will not actually watch the TV version until we have all the series 6 to watch in one week, on the big screen of course.  Have sated our combined appetites for Sci/Fantasy over the holiday period.  Foundation, Wheel of Time, final series of Lost in Space and Dune ticked off (wildly excited about "Rendezvous with Rama" in the pipeline).  the Witcher Series 2 for this weekend, (the Witcher 3 game has amazing visuals), Silent Sea, Station 11, and Star Trek  Discovery  still to go.  Plus PC Elite Dangerous Odyssey in VR for a "real life" Sci Fi experience!

From my point of view and age, its fantastic to see that film/TV makers are going back to the older Sci Fi stories for films.  John Carter of Mars series was a major milestone in my early readings.  Arguably many later films 'Star War, Avatar etc) took inspiration from ER Borroughs  books but he never gets the credit.  I enjoyed the film, shame no more were made.

PS Still doing our tour of duty on the education front as youngest, after living away for 5 years came back to do his PhD in Nantes!!

5 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Ah, good question.  I put season 6 and the rest on my Kindle and have read them up to 8.  Will not actually watch the TV version until we have all the series 6 to watch in one week, on the big screen of course. 

That will work with this season because it feels like a whole movie split into six episodes. If you know what I mean. 

That kinda through me with the first episode (series 6) because it was very slow and very different to other episodes of The Expanse. I personally did not like it one bit. I was very depressed after watching it.

That said, since the first episode (which is 1hr background setting if you like), it has been just pure rock & roll sci fi bliss.

The last two episodes that have been aired are up there with some of the best in the sega IMHO.

You will not be disappointed. 

Personally, I like watching each episode twice before watching the next because you miss so much. 

Discovery this season is not so bad either. It is more Star Treky. Then we will have Picard.