Xmas greetings

anotherbanana

Yes, best wishes to all .......... even to those with whom I’ve ‘crossed swords’ !

Sadly, we had to abandon our plans for a family Christmas in the UK, but our English friends in the village are in exactly the same boat, so the 4 of us will be together tomorrow.

I collected the Crimbo hamper from the Mairie this morning - this is in lieu of the usual Repas des Aines.  It’s a nice gesture, but the trouble is that half the items in there are a heart attack on a plate - ‘Blanquette de Canards aux Cepes’.  They’re trying to kill us off, so less cost in 2022.

Sadly, there are more than a few regular contributors on here who appear to have ‘jumped ship’.  Hope it’s temporary rather than permanent.

25 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Sadly, there are more than a few regular contributors on here who appear to have ‘jumped ship’.  Hope it’s temporary rather than permanent.

Forum fatigue, Gardian. It is very common.

Many will return after a break.

Anyway, a very happy Christmas and an excellent (and healthy!) New Year.

Merry Crisis and a Happy New Fear to all too.  We got back yesterday evening (24th Dec) from our walking holiday in the winter wonderland that is the Alps at Bourg St Maurice.  Much to my surprise Oui, OuiSNCF, RER and the metro all worked without a hitch and ran perfectly on time.  The trains were all packed but the actual ski lifts etc were quiet, only a few Brits managed to make it across before the dead line.  We did all our train tickets on line and linked them, as recommended to our Covid passport.  Three out of the 4 trains were checked.  At Bourg St Maurice however it was just a free for all to get on the train, no check on tickets or passes.  We don't get the snow anymore that I remember from my childhood, so walking 16 kms in the conditions below, starting a -4°C was, for us, a wonderful warm up to Christmas.

snow.thumb.jpg.6c2d9f7da7b38684c6dc93a1151106a4.jpg

On 27/12/2021 at 01:13, Loiseau said:

And may I be allowed to travel to France again soon...

We should be as it wont make a jot of difference to France as they report 208,000 cases yesterday and omicron is just a fluey cold for 3-4 days. However the stupid leaders of countries must be seen to do something like blaming neighbouring countries which fuels the tribal in some.

Well said Teapot, we must remember that it is an election year in France and Mr Macaroon is due to take over the Presidency in January at a time when the German in Brussels is making the running and the French are sick of the little runt. And the testing programme has not been reporting the cases accurately, as far as I can see.

So he decides to try and kick an outsider, the UK. At least however the French seem to have overtaken the British in something today and are getting closer to the Americans.

Whoooppeee, Inhave a mosquito to build.

On 24/12/2021 at 17:59, Gardian said:

It’s a nice gesture, but the trouble is that half the items in there are a heart attack on a plate - ‘Blanquette de Canards aux Cepes’.  They’re trying to kill us off, so less cost in 2022.

No actual link to eating fat and heart attacks, sadly that misinformation should have been laid to rest and is from the good old US of A. It was referred to as the french paradox, how can they eat so much fat and cheese but have low incidence of heart disease. Or the shorter version, how America got it so wrong, down to a bloke called Ancel Keys.

Years ago, the American Heart Association set up a long term study: they used only doctors and clinicians, as these would be more likely to stick to the programme.

The first group consumed a typical American high fat diet. The second, a very low fat "Healthy" diet.

At the end of the project, to the researchers' utter amazement, there was no real difference between the groups in terms of cardio-vascular incidence. However, the low fat "healthy" lot suffered a far higher than normal incidence of bowel cancer and associated diseases!

13 hours ago, Gluestick said:

Years ago, the American Heart Association set up a long term study: they used only doctors and clinicians, as these would be more likely to stick to the programme.

The first group consumed a typical American high fat diet. The second, a very low fat "Healthy" diet.

At the end of the project, to the researchers' utter amazement, there was no real difference between the groups in terms of cardio-vascular incidence. However, the low fat "healthy" lot suffered a far higher than normal incidence of bowel cancer and associated diseases!

Unfortunately people cherry pick whatever statistic suits their point of view , or argument. There was also, without their relatives knowledge, autopsies carried out on the returning bodies of US servicemen killed in the Vietnam war, mainly 18 to mid 20s year old. Studies found that there was very high incidence of heart disease in these young men. conclusion: Their diet was largely fat based and given as the reason. Generally speaking there is ample evidence to suggest that the fatter you are the greater the risk from not only vascular disease but cancers and other problems. Because being fat is a 'taboo' subject it is rarely mentioned these days. It is quite clear that it isn't the type of food you eat but how much of it. Nutritionally a hamburger is perfect with regard protein, fat, minerals and vitamins but quite clearly eating  several a day is not going to be a good idea! People are fat because they eat too much, and it is killing them! Will they do something about it? No! Mustn't upset anyone must we!!!! Heart disease in the U.SA. is rampant.In the U.K it is very bad and in Europe becoming a big problem. Still though, people mustn't be called fat or even have it pointed out! Instead governments and individuals dance around the subject blaming lack of exercise, poor diet etc. when it is essentially just plain greed! Just to add a last bit of controversy: Watching people queuing up at the food banks for free food brought an ironic smile, most were fat or at least overweight and still they want more!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken said:

There was also, without their relatives knowledge, autopsies carried out on the returning bodies of US servicemen killed in the Vietnam war, mainly 18 to mid 20s year old. Studies found that there was very high incidence of heart disease in these young men. conclusion: Their diet was largely fat based and given as the reason

As always, Ken, you are endeavouring to conflate an argument.

Since US draftees had thorough medicals before serving; and since the average length of service, in theatre was 2 years, then logically, it must follow that any young fit person who ate increased levels of fat for two years would be suffering from advanced cardio-vascular disease?

Well, if all they ate was lard, then perhaps; although I would suggest it would tend to be thrown up and exit the other end too at a rate of knots!

However, what they did eat can be seen, here:

https://www.historynet.com/gourmet-grunts-1968-70.htm

Unless there was another cause.

Eating fat and being fat (i.e. obese) are two disparate issues.

However, the original point was surely this?

"No actual link to eating fat and heart attacks, sadly that misinformation should have been laid to rest and is from the good old US of A. It was referred to as the french paradox, how can they eat so much fat and cheese but have low incidence of heart disease. Or the shorter version, how America got it so wrong, down to a bloke called Ancel Keys. "

As a point of reference, early in my life I suffered an MI (Myocardial Infarction: a Coronary if you like).

I was extremely fortunate and received truly excellent early care and then treatment by probably the top Cardiologist in the UK at the time, at the top London hospital, London Chest.

My GP was a good friend and assisted me with research into,"WHY?".

I could tell you however no doubt I would be "Cherry Picking" again!

You of course, were not...

Interesting that this in depth clinical study mentions both Korean war and Vietnam war PM heart/vascular evaluations; but not fatty diets?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812791/

6 hours ago, Ken said:

There was also, without their relatives knowledge, autopsies carried out on the returning bodies of US servicemen killed in the Vietnam war, mainly 18 to mid 20s year old. Studies found that there was very high incidence of heart disease in these young men. conclusion: Their diet was largely fat based and given as the reason. 

ALBF had a heart attack at 27.

A cardiologist quoted the same studies to explain mine. So what Ken is quoting is quite correct. 

I am not fat or overweight btw.