Xmas Fare

anotherbanana

Let’s lighten the load awhile; what are you planning as your Xmas meal? Here pintade as main course, supplied to us old folks of the commune with a few other goodies, preceded by a shellfish or prawn dish. Afters will be light though, and Loiseau’s department. Inshallah.

Perhaps a tiny touch of fois gras as a nibble.

I have always been informed, Woolly, that the French delight in abundant plates of seafood, washed down with a good white wine.

I have never forgotten the expression on Mrs Gluey's face, when with friends we were lunching at the wonderful restaurant in Étaples, which is owned and run by the fishing fleet cooperative. She ordered une Assiette de fruites de mer. This had two of most things, on three levels!

Definitely seafood in the Loire, however, one of the wonders of la belle France, for me, is the vast regional variety.

3 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Let’s lighten the load awhile; what are you planning as your Xmas meal? Here pintade as main course, supplied to us old folks of the commune with a few other goodies, preceded by a shellfish or prawn dish. Afters will be light though, and Loiseau’s department. Inshallah.

Perhaps a tiny touch of fois gras as a nibble.

Touch of Fois Gras ?

Shame on you wooly.

Judging by the last 25 years of Christmas it will be...

Fois Gras for starters (which nobody likes and it will get chucked away)....fish main course (dreaming of roast beef and yorkshire puddings as you try and eat a fish that has no taste)....followed by a very expensive good looking inedible desert from a Boulangerie....that breaks your teeth with the first bite. 

Every course washed down with lot of expensive wine that don't taste nice.

Followed by a black coffee...and then an argument about the current state of politics in France. 

Everyone goes to bed pÏssed off

So this year...a Kabab for me. That will do nicely.

I guess most will eat a kebab this year. Or maybe a Mac Dos.

That is what most French do...and I am joining in. 

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

I have also eaten many dishes like that, Gluey and love them. Round here the fishfood is excellent and we do indulge. There is a very good fish market in Étaples just behind the resto you mentioned where it is so fresh it almost jumps off the counter.

I would agree. Yes seen the fish market; lovely old style with small units and dropdown wooden fronts.

Have you visited the restaurant built on the beach at Merlimont? Great fish and not uber cher.

Sitting outside when the sun shines one could be in Provence.

Fresh fish also in Boulogne and I must say the local Carrefour has an excellent wet fish counter.

Try this; a dish we sort of invented. Atlantic prawns and fresh sardines. Flour. flash fry with fresh green chillis.

Wash down with such as Alsation Pinot Gris.

Yummy!

Down here, Chapon seems to be popular.  I wouldn’t normally think of something that’s essentially chicken as being special, but knowing what a good cook our neighbour is, she undoubtedly makes it really good.

If there are no more restrictions imposed, then we’ll be back in the UK with elder son, and it’ll be traditional turkey - no worse for that.

Younger son lives and works in the Czech Republic (well away from Prague, but a biggish city nonetheless).  His partner’s father always fishes for and catches a really decent sized Carp, which is their traditional dish.  Served with potato dumplings and spiced cabbage.  He loves it, but if I’d suggested that before he went there some years ago, he’d have laughed in my face.

Normally for me a whole dressed crab, mixed with mayo and a hard boiled egg as a starter.  Then usually the most outlandish meat we can find in the butchers section - ostrich, antelope, crocodile tail, bison have all featured over the years, using the cooking method and sauce suggested.  All delicious.  Pud, I leave firmly in the hands of my wife and youngest son.  Chocolate ganache is high on the list of favourites, raspberries or passion fruit.

However, this year might be different.  In a moment of madness we booked a special offer TGV trip to the Alps to do some walking in the snow, due back 24th Dec. So, it might be cold sandwiches in an abandoned TGV somewhere in France!

IMG_20210131_201437.jpg

Well, for us this year, it will be for the hors d'oeuvre, smoked mackerel with a little horseradish sauce, made using root from the garden and a little smoked salmon served with a dash of sauce hollandaise and some of our Scandinavian bread made with rye, spelt and wholemeal flour.

The entrée will be silverside of beef pot roast s l o w l y, in a cast iron casserole, with carrots and parsnips, and served with roast spuds, yorkie pud, sprouts, roast parsnips and lashings of proper gravy based on the juices.

Dessert will be mince pies, with the pastry made from a wonderful Carrier recipe for French patissiere's sweet pastry, which melts in the mouth, and served with hot crême Anglais.