DHL refuse to admit that they have been paid by us.

Harnser

Briefly, We received an invoice in the post from DHL express for payment of import VAT and their handling charge of €47.50

We duly wrote a cheque made out to DHL Express in the correct french format and posted it off by normal post- there was no option to pay by card.

We have since received threatening letters from DHL's debt collector - called Overland - demanding payment.

We sent them an image of the cheque which we had saved, and a redacted printout of our bank statement showing the cheque no and that the cheque was paid.

We have also sent the same to DHL customer service.

(Redacted meaning all transactions on the statement were blacked out apart from the relevant transaction)

We are trying to obtain from our CA bank the details of the account name/number of whom the cheque was paid into. but being CA it's like trying to swim in treacle.

They say that the evidence of the cheque and the statement is enough to prove that we paid DHL.

Overland continue to send threatening emails -I checked up on them with DHL and they are genuine.

Question.

Does anybody know definitely if we are legally in default or is DHL just trying it on?

I had a similar sort of incident with FedEx back in May.

I made a purchase with a company in the UK with delivery by FedEx. Several days later I received a message to inform me that the goods were at the depot ready to be delivered to my home address.  However, before this delivery could be expedited I was required  to pay import and admin charges of €x, which I duly paid by plastic.  The goods arrived the following day.

Two weeks later, I received an itemised invoice of import duty and admin charges requiring payment.  I messaged FedEx with the last 4 digits of my card and the name of the card issuer and suggested they check their billing system.

To date, I have heard nothing from them.

42 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

Did you receive the goods you paid for?

If they are not sending you letters by "accusé de réception"  then, in my experience with SFR, they are trying it on.   

No problem with the delivery - it was a DHL c*ck-up by the look of it - no UK vat charged by UK exporter - numerous emails from DHL informing that the consignment  had cleared french customs at 4 am in the morning with no demand for vat or DHL handling charges - delivered here 2 or 3 days later.

The invoice for the vat etc turned up in the post about 3 weeks after the delivery.

Harnser ........

You asked for a definite answer to your question, but I’m afraid that neither I, nor (I suspect) anybody else will be able to provide that.

I too had had two deliveries some months back which came via DHL and Fedex.  With the former I refused delivery (the driver said that “All the anglais do that!”) and I received a subsequent bill for duty and a handling charge.  I ignored it and heard nothing more.  Fedex sent their bill asking for payment before they’d deliver - again, I ignored it.

In both cases I was credited by the supplier.

I now won’t order anything involving carriers like DHL - never have a problem if it comes with the regular postal service.

Accordingly, I find myself thinking that it’s dodgy practice.

As for getting DHL / Overland off your back, apart from retaining all the correspondence, I can’t see what else you can do. Ignore them I’d say.

9 hours ago, Gardian said:

Harnser ........

You asked for a definite answer to your question, but I’m afraid that neither I, nor (I suspect) anybody else will be able to provide that.

I too had had two deliveries some months back which came via DHL and Fedex.  With the former I refused delivery (the driver said that “All the anglais do that!”) and I received a subsequent bill for duty and a handling charge.  I ignored it and heard nothing more.  Fedex sent their bill asking for payment before they’d deliver - again, I ignored it.

In both cases I was credited by the supplier.

I now won’t order anything involving carriers like DHL - never have a problem if it comes with the regular postal service.

Accordingly, I find myself thinking that it’s dodgy practice.

As for getting DHL / Overland off your back, apart from retaining all the correspondence, I can’t see what else you can do. Ignore them I’d say.

Thanks for trying to help, we have now received a full printed bank statement via email from the bank, showing all the bank logos etc- which you don't get if you just open your statement for that month online, it's just the bare figures and looks like you could have generated it yourself.

If we get harassed further we will send them that as a finale.