French Presidential Election candidates, thus far.

7 hours ago, NickP said:

That's easy to say, but you haven't been called pig ignorant on an open forum. I think we might have discovered a refugee from another forum. It's not surprising that several old valued members have voted with their feet, and I'm sure they won't be the last.

it's apparent that there has been an overspill of detritus from forums that have shut down or binned forum trolls who have joined other forums in order to be unpleasant, disruptive and cause trouble.

Perhaps there should be a common register of IP adresses of troublemakers that all forums could access to stop the worst of them?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NickP said:

That's easy to say, but you haven't been called pig ignorant on an open forum. I think we might have discovered a refugee from another forum. It's not surprising that several old valued members have voted with their feet, and I'm sure they won't be the last.

As the person who made the remark I feel I can comment! I made the 'pig ignorant' post in response to what I perceived as a direct  insult from you. You interjected into a 'conversation' with your 'smart' post, you didn't try to add to the conversation or even refer to it, still haven't as far as I can see. You just posted to make an objectionable remark. Now you try and act the offended one! Had you not made your 'clever' remark this conversation wouldn't be happening. Everyone has a responsibility regarding 'offensive' posts and that should include people like you who make provocative remarks and when responded to, cry crocodile tears! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ken said:

As the person who made the remark I feel I can comment! I made the 'pig ignorant' post in response to what I perceived as a direct  insult from you. You interjected into a 'conversation' with your 'smart' post, you didn't try to add to the conversation or even refer to it, still haven't as far as I can see. You just posted to make an objectionable remark. Now you try and act the offended one! Had you not made your 'clever' remark this conversation wouldn't be happening. Everyone has a responsibility regarding 'offensive' posts and that should include people like you who make provocative remarks and when responded to, cry crocodile tears! 

There's a distinct difference between a perceived "smart" comment and an abusive one. Still, I'll leave this here and say no more on the subject as it appears that you just can't stop with the snide comments, it's obviously your way, well cocker it 'aint mine. So let's agree to ignore each other in the future.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harnser said:

it's apparent that there has been an overspill of detritus from forums that have shut down or binned forum trolls who have joined other forums in order to be unpleasant, disruptive and cause trouble.

Perhaps there should be a common register of IP adresses of troublemakers that all forums could access to stop the worst of them?

IMHO...the biggest problem types on forums are the ones that run them. (Wooly excluded because he cool).

We are just pawns in their pods.

I don't think I have ever been on a French forum that is run by someone you want to meet in a pub. 

They failed at school, life and work....so they end up opening a forum so they can contol people. It gives them a hard-on. It really does. I read that on Wiki. 

Chill everyone, life is too short. And (back on topic) if Macron, MLP or the bloke that looks like Mr Burns from the Simpsons gets in.....life will be a lot shorter.

Calm, it's Covidmas.

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Haha 1

This Forum is run by a commercial group so we have to be a bit more correct than some of the private ones. I /We am (sic) happy to let discussions run on but there comes a point sometimes when they just have to be stopped.

I am though betting worried by the lack of topics particularly about France being posted and would like to see many more joining in.

6 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

This Forum is run by a commercial group so we have to be a bit more correct than some of the private ones. I /We am (sic) happy to let discussions run on but there comes a point sometimes when they just have to be stopped.

I am though betting worried by the lack of topics particularly about France being posted and would like to see many more joining in.

There is not a French forum out there that works.

Largely because they are all run by nutters.

Most posts on French forums are about UK politics or people playing some weird countdown game. They are all missing home. Bless them. 

I would like to talk about French matters. ?

France rocks. There is so much to discuss.

3 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

I'm not sure that declaring support for Zemmour qualifies anyone as a nutter! At the moment around 18% of those intending to vote support Zemmour. Would you class them as nutters, that's a lot of 'nutters'! 

Speaking as someone totally sane and well-balanced, no really ?, I can see why Zemmour has garnered so much support so quickly.  He's come up with some very populist ideas, designed to appeal to French people who regret 'the old days'.  From what I've seen so far, I'd probably take a punt on him carrying them through. BUT....5 years ago there was a bunch of self-interested politicians in a little island not far from here who promised the electorate much the same thing. They appealed to the middle-aged and elderly voters, promising them a return to a golden age and look what happened there!

Sadly, I don't think there's a politician on earth that can turn the clock back and undo everything that's wrong with western civilisation. All we can do, as voters, is try to put the brakes on the more obviously rapacious and hypocritical ones.

11 hours ago, Noisette said:

Speaking as someone totally sane and well-balanced, no really ?, I can see why Zemmour has garnered so much support so quickly.  He's come up with some very populist ideas, designed to appeal to French people who regret 'the old days'.  From what I've seen so far, I'd probably take a punt on him carrying them through. BUT....5 years ago there was a bunch of self-interested politicians in a little island not far from here who promised the electorate much the same thing. They appealed to the middle-aged and elderly voters, promising them a return to a golden age and look what happened there!

Sadly, I don't think there's a politician on earth that can turn the clock back and undo everything that's wrong with western civilisation. All we can do, as voters, is try to put the brakes on the more obviously rapacious and hypocritical ones.

Pecresse said yesterday that she would (if elected) 'do something' about illegal immigration' Most of the candidates have voiced this same theme. Zemmour though is branded a racist by the left for daring to utter such ideas. I agree that he has a chance of reaching the final round at least. MLP seems to have fallen away and the only serious contenders appear to be Pecresse and Zemmour. Given that Jupitor hasn't yet said he is going for a second term wouldn't it be a topsy turvy election if it were Pecresse and Zemmour battling it out for the Presidency? We can only hope!

Do you think France is ready for a woman leader?  It's noticeable in this area that many Maires are women, and the Prés of the Département is female, so perhaps the entrenched chauvinism is weakening. It's early days, though. If Macron does stand again, there's plenty of time for further political assassination, which is what happened to François Fillon.  In Zemmour's case he wouldn't have to do much as the media have already decided to do it for him.

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

France desperately NEEDS a woman leader !

The entranched chauvinism in France is not weakning BTW. 

Men in France still think they are the superior gender. 

I wonder what difference would a female bring to the politics of France. I have lived here for 22 years and seen several Presidents come and go. All of them promised reform of some sort or other and by and large all failed. We all know why!!! So, a woman as President, Pecresse is already saying she would do this or that but would she? She may try (should she get the opportunity) but succeed , I very much doubt it. So, France 'needs' a woman; no I don't think male, female or even a trans President would make any real difference. If France is to change it will be the E.U. that eventually brings about reform. That might lead France to break up the E.U.!!

Now Macron is calling for tough measures to control illegal immigration, not only to France. but the whole E.U. Amazing what a forthcoming election will bring out from these people! No doubt he will be 'revered' by his supporters for 'doing' something about the problem whilst at the same time  calling Zemmour a racist for saying such a thing!!! This election could be the closest for many a year! Whilst I would prefer Zemmour I think that Pecresse is the most likely from the right to succeed. MLP appears to be getting weaker as the election approaches. 

3 hours ago, Noisette said:

Just out of interest, how many members of CF will have the right to vote in the Présidentielle next year?

Well it is a French citzenship thing. For those of us who don't want French citerzenship...we can't vote. It is that simple. 

That said I would not vote anyway. I really would not waste my time.

Who in their right mind would get up and vote if the choice is between Mr Macron or MLP ?. Or insert another nutter of your choice. 

My biggest concern in life is getting OH British citizenship. 

So....not many thus far ?  @Betise....why would he?

FWIW, having come very close to being disenfranchised altogether, I'm looking forward immensely to exercising my democratic right as a citoyenne ?  It's no use complaining about things if you're not prepared to make the slightest effort to change them.  What would/will seriously tick me off is if my preferred candidate is sabotaged i.e. assassinated before ever getting as far as the election.  There's nothing remotely democratic about political hatchet jobs on the opposition!

ALBF, do you honestly believe that the 'choice' in UK is better?  I'd struggle to find the motivation to vote there, truly.

• Like 1