Driveway

Ken

Thank you, it was very hardwork, for both of us. Madam loaded many a cement mixer for me and on some days became absolutely exhausted. The joints have yet to be done and we shall do them together. We started about three weeks ago and since then it hasn't stopped raining, hopefully this coming week will be dry The little bit we did do took three hours and measured roughly half a square metre. As there is 104 sm to do then 3 X 208 = 624hrs work or 26days non stop, not even for a cuppa!! Hopefully as we proceed we will get quicker!!!

I make my own jointing material (sand-cement-colourant- additive) Buying the amount of ready made grouting needed would be prohibitive I think. It has been a lot of work but very satisfying. This is the second drive I have 'turned to stone'! We have two drives (no, don't ask!!) I'm just glad we don't have a third!!

Top tip:  Look for an 'icing bag' type of truc in the bricos, or failing that, make one by cutting the corner off a strong plastic bag.  Pros have a sort of pistolet affair for pointing, but I've never seen one for sale to particuliers.  It speeds things up considerably, and there's less waste than with the trad method of trowelling or raclette-ing. ?

5 hours ago, Noisette said:

Top tip:  Look for an 'icing bag' type of truc in the bricos, or failing that, make one by cutting the corner off a strong plastic bag.  Pros have a sort of pistolet affair for pointing, but I've never seen one for sale to particuliers.  It speeds things up considerably, and there's less waste than with the trad method of trowelling or raclette-ing. ?

It is a good tip but for this work, which is stone laid and embedded in concrete , I  still need to trowel it in and smooth off. plus there is an awful amount needed as the joints, in this sort of work are much wider than , 'crazy paving' or patio paving. Putting the mix in a bag would be additional work I'm afraid.Thank you anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

1367001330_IMG_54142.thumb.jpg.db10c559c16d7c345058a49c3ad4ef74.jpg

Well, whilst you lot were putting on weight and getting a hangover I was still mixing cement!! I have to admit though that I did take Christmas day off!

But it’s finished! Boxing day afternoon the last joint was cemented.

For those who like statistics: I started the work on the 20th August finished 26th of December.  Apart from nearly three weeks of rain in November worked every day or part of a day.

Lifted approximately ten tons of gravel and trailered it to the tip. 

Used a mini digger to loosen the gravel but had to load and unload the trailer by hand. It took 50 trips to the tip!

Laid 12 cubic meters of concrete (12 tons) reinforced with metal grillage over 104 square meters of driveway.

Laid 3.5 cubic meters of stone on the concrete (approx. 5 tons)

Used approximately 50-60 bags of cement (approx. 2 tons)

A third of a ton of sand for the joints, colour and ‘fixer’

A fractured hand (overuse of a spade!!) A few gallons of sweat and liberal use of expletives; but it’s done!