Driveway

Ken

As it's raining and I'm redundant (and bored!) because laying concrete in the rain isn't a great thing to do I thought I would share with anyone interested to read it the work( so far) I'm doing renewing my drive. For the last 22 years it has been gravel. I have added gravel to it several times over the years but it has become too 'weedy' and grubby. So, I decided to pave it with stone. Not blocks but rather in the fashion of crazy paving; can't think what the French call it!

The drive is 27 metres long and 5 wide. First remove all the gravel: 44 trips to the tip with a trailer load of gravel each time. I estimate around ten tons of the stuff I dug up with a mini pell and by hand. It still had to be loaded and then unloaded at the tip. 3 cubic metres of stone delivered and so far 8 cubic metres of ballast, 108 square metres of reenforcing metalwork and , so far, 32 bags of 35kg cement. This all started just over a month ago. I would add that I am doing all the work myself with the aid of my other half who is also working like a slave shovelling ballast and cement into the cement mixer. And no, she hasn't threatened a divorce; Yet!! To date I have completed around two thirds of it and that doesn't include grouting the joints which will probably take a week or so on its own! I estimate probably another two cubic metres of ballast and around another ten bags of cement before I'm done. In terms of time, weather permitting, I should have it finished in about a week. Then the grouting! I won't tell you how much this little lot costs, you would think me crazy!

So, once the sun comes back and it stops raining those of you having a G-T in your garden; spare a thought for me aching, cursing and covered in cement working like a slave on the drive. 

Edited by Ken
left an 'O' off too

It seems like you will have produced an ideal drive that is likely to be stable and attractive. What a lot of hard work! I have a similar situation with our weedy drive that did look good when we first spread a new load of gravel but I am not inclined to lay that amount of reinforced concrete and stone. You have already described the amount of work you have put in and the enormous cost so I hope you are eventually able enjoy the aesthetics of your creation regardless of the type of vehicle you own.

Good luck and thanks for the interesting account of your (and your OH) efforts.

20 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I would have kept gravel myself.

But at least you have a nice spot to park your black range rover sport in with yay personalised Brit number plate.

What is it, KEN 1 ? ?

Actually it's a BMW X5 and the French don't do personalised plates. Shame that but there you are!

Actually it's a BMW X5 and the French don't do personalised plates. Shame that but there you are!

Many years ago when we sold all our shares in France telecom we made enough profit to buy my wife a 306 convertible.  The Peugeot dealer had a cousin in the prefectures office and was delighted to show us the registration plate of the car which had organised to have 306 in it!

22 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

A foto would be good, perhaps before, during and after?

Three photos better! I still have about ten metres to go then all the joints to do!! I will probably be brain dead by then!! The first photo is taken from the top; The second is the 'dug up gravel, well some of it anyway! and the third is the paving looking up the drive. That's Jake sitting on it giving it the once over!!!!

IMG_5123 2.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

Too much work for us at our age!

This is our driveway in March this year.

[url=https://postimg.cc/fVq7P5xy][img]https://i.postimg.cc/rpMhKPs1/IMG-2871.jpg[/img][/url]

Once the dry weather begins, an annual spray with very dilute glyphosate solution keeps it clear of grass and weeds for the rest of the year.

[url=https://postimg.cc/WDwPwFR2][img]https://i.postimg.cc/25P8mh2B/IMG-2720-Floris-Chateau.jpg[/img][/url]

Ken:  Looks very nice indeed but does it in fact go downhill - as it looks in the photos?   We had a neighbour (in the UK years ago) who paved his slightly uphill, very small, back garden which had a lower terrace.  When it rained the water whooshed off the paving like niagara falls straight onto his lower terrace! Amazing to watch but not a good idea.

Our gravel drive is in need of, at the very least, a new top layer.

Good luck with the joints.

Edited by Hereford
further reply with different house!

Yes it does go downhill. i.e. away from the house. Over the years I had put several layers of gravel down, Mostly due to weeds and looking grubby but also storms that sent the gravel disappearing down the drive and eventually ending up in the valley! I did put in a drainage system the remains of which are on the right as you look at the photo. that took care of the storms but , obviously, not the weeds! The cats are a little 'peeved' at the work as they liked to roll around on the gravel then bringing it into the house  of course!! Well I can't work today, or tomorrow due to the 'no noise' rule on Sunday and bank holidays so I shall enjoy the rest!

4 hours ago, Ken said:

Three photos better! I still have about ten metres to go then all the joints to do!! I will probably be brain dead by then!! The first photo is taken from the top; The second is the 'dug up gravel, well some of it anyway! and the third is the paving looking up the drive. That's Jake sitting on it giving it the once over!!!!

Much respect Ken. Anything is achievable with enough determination, if and when you put your mind to it. Well, that's always been my philosophy. Chapeau to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Now, for something a bit lighter! Despite the torrential rain over the last few days I managed to get the job finished, well the laying of the stone anyway. What remains are the joints. If it ever stops raining I can start! I estimate a couple of weeks at least to fill the joints but once done I can turn to getting the garden back in shape!! It has been a couple of months hard work but then again I always enjoy a 'project' of some sort. I think, after Christmas I shall start repainting the interior of the house!!!! At least that won't cripple me in the way laying tons of Celt has!!!

210914144_IMG_54042.thumb.jpg.fafa95be8af7c87a3e637add6d6a0219.jpg866671651_IMG_54022.thumb.jpg.3d22458e1ef3e36d3bda93196b76b5b3.jpg

• Like 2