Covid statistics

NormanH

Angela and I have both noticed this, Norman; in large part we think it is down to a lot more testing being done in England. NHS tests have been free up til recently as you could simply pop into the chemist and get a pack of seven.

But I do think the point about masks is important; in my recent trips I have been surprised by the numbers of people who are unmasked in closed public spaces like the Tube in London.

Perhaps the French covid pass does make a difference, difficult to say. I suspect it does.

As the banana says, there is a lot more self-testing in England than in France. With the home kits of 7 tests that we can pick up from the chemist's (now you have to register online to pick one up, rather than just grab a couple of boxes) it is a matter of moments to test yourself before going to a big family gathering, or to meet a friend that you think might be especially vulnerable. 

I test myself at least twice a week, sometimes more depending on my social life.  Yet on a recent visit to friends in western France, I had the impression that almost nobody had tested at all.

So I am guessing that, inevitably, more early cases must be "depisté" in England.

On 17/10/2021 at 19:49, Loiseau said:

As the banana says, there is a lot more self-testing in England than in France. With the home kits of 7 tests that we can pick up from the chemist's (now you have to register online to pick one up, rather than just grab a couple of boxes) it is a matter of moments to test yourself before going to a big family gathering, or to meet a friend that you think might be especially vulnerable.

Generally, in any country, presumably most tests are carried out by the individual because you think you might have the virus. (I know some going into hospital, for eg, may be required to test and there are the circs you describe, Loiseau). My reasoning may be wrong (not unusual) but if what drives testing at this stage is having symptoms, are the positives only because the UK is testing more or is the UK testing more because people already think they're infected? I'm not convinced "testing more" is a valid reason for growth in cases. I do think the resistance to mask-wearing and casual, non-distanced gatherings on transport and in public spaces are much more likely causes, especially with the more contagious / transmissible Delta variant.

Anecdotal experience from people returning to the UK suggests their Day 2 tests aren't all being analysed - ie, tests are being returned to labs but results are never forthcoming, either +ve or -ve, which leads people to suspect only a sample number of the Day 2 tests are actually analysed.

FWIW, I think you’re both right.

Yes, more testing in the UK, but also less regard for the ‘disciplines’ that we’re pretty much accustomed to here in France. 

At the end of the day, the infection rates in the UK are (last time I looked at the numbers) 10x those of France.

We’ll be returning for Christmas / NY with family & friends, but whilst not ‘spooky’ about it, we rather feel that we face greater risks than we do over here.