Tour de France

1 hour ago, NormanH said:

That in all these elections the winning side have had a minority of votes.

The figures I have seen are:-

E. Macron LREM - 18,779,641  58.5%

M. Le Pen RN - 13,297,760  41.5%

Now, that sure as hell looks to me like Macron received the majority of votes cast. Maybe you know otherwise?

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Outre-mer voted overwhelmingly MLP.

Work than one out Norman !

Perhaps they were less concerned about electing a "far right" president and having read the manifesto of the "far right" candidate discovered that in fact their lot might improve under a "far right" president rather than under a shapeshifting centre ground president who promises to be all things to all french people and ends up just helping his billionaire mates to make their next billion.

Edited by Harnser
addition

" Rural areas (where most Brits live LOL) voted MLP."  (ALBF)

Take a careful look at the map below. A huge rural swathe from the West to the SW and across to the E (mostly as rural as you can get) voted Macron.

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2022/04/25/resultats-de-la-presidentielle-visualisez-les-votes-ville-par-ville-sur-notre-carte-interactive_6123495_4355771.html

17 minutes ago, ko12x2 said:

" Rural areas (where most Brits live LOL) voted MLP."  (ALBF)

Take a careful look at the map below. A huge rural swathe from the West to the SW and across to the E (mostly as rural as you can get) voted Macron.

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2022/04/25/resultats-de-la-presidentielle-visualisez-les-votes-ville-par-ville-sur-notre-carte-interactive_6123495_4355771.html

Our commune in Brittany stuck to their guns in the 2nd tour after voting MLP with Macron third behind Melenchon in the 1st tour.

In the second tour MLP was on 52% and Macron 47%.

Ours is by no means a poor commune, new salle de polyvalente a lot of improvements all going on etc.

12 hours ago, cajal said:

The figures I have seen are:-

E. Macron LREM - 18,779,641  58.5%

M. Le Pen RN - 13,297,760  41.5%

Now, that sure as hell looks to me like Macron received the majority of votes cast. Maybe you know otherwise?

Read what I wrote

A few figures.

Registered voters: 48,700000

Voted for Macron 18,779641

So, just as in the other elections I quoted the winner had  more people who DIDN'T vote for him than voted in favour. If people are going to quibble about the validity of Macron's election that gives some context about elections.

It has long been the 'whinge' of remainers that Britain left the E.U. on the back of a vote of around 17 million voters and therefore the 'majority' of the population either didn't vote or a minority did vote but against leaving. In their view this means Britain shouldn't have left because the 'majority' didn't vote for it. Nonsense of course!

Brexit, Macron V Le Pen, Conservatives V Labour it simply boils down to which person or party gather the most votes in an election. If only a very small minority vote then there will still be a winner. It is almost incidental regarding numbers. If people, as is their right, (in most countries) don't want to vote then so be it. Those that do vote however rightly expect to have a winner and a loser, as in the case of Brexit, fortunately, a winner. Perhaps those that 'whinge' at any result in any election should perhaps be 'whinging' at those who can't be bothered to vote!!!

20 hours ago, cajal said:

The significance of these statistics to residents of France would be??

Read what I wrote.

Stating that more Europeans didn't vote for Italy, the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest last year, than did would have been just as relevant a statistic you could have quoted. In any election, for whatever reason, the amount of people who didn't vote is totally irrelevant as to the outcome for those who did vote.

But heh, why not drag election results you disagree with into a topic, that doesn't require the statistics you quoted, to reinforce your own prejudices.

4 hours ago, Ken said:

Perhaps those that 'whinge' at any result in any election should perhaps be 'whinging' at those who can't be bothered to vote!!!

Bit unfair that. 

I doubt that anyone was actually qualified to vote for or against Brexit. 

Only in hindsight allows us to do that.

I would have voted remain then but today I would vote Brexit. I guess others would do the opposite. 

Those who stayed in bed should not be vilified. Maybe they should be congratulated.

A bit like the French election.

I would have stayed in bed. I am not going to vote Macron, MLP, do a white vote or draw a picture of a knôb of Macron on a ballot sheet.

I would have stayed in bed. 

19 hours ago, cajal said:

Read what I wrote.

Stating that more Europeans didn't vote for Italy, the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest last year, than did would have been just as relevant a statistic you could have quoted. In any election, for whatever reason, the amount of people who didn't vote is totally irrelevant as to the outcome for those who did vote.

But heh, why not drag election results you disagree with into a topic, that doesn't require the statistics you quoted, to reinforce your own prejudices.

At last you understand my point about  dragging in non-voters to discredit a result,   but you misrepresent it when you write of "election results you disagree with" .I can't disagree with them; they are facts.

19 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Bit unfair that. 

I doubt that anyone was actually qualified to vote for or against Brexit. 

Only in hindsight allows us to do that.

I would have voted remain then but today I would vote Brexit. I guess others would do the opposite. 

Those who stayed in bed should not be vilified. Maybe they should be congratulated.

A bit like the French election.

I would have stayed in bed. I am not going to vote Macron, MLP, do a white vote or draw a picture of a knôb of Macron on a ballot sheet.

I would have stayed in bed. 

Qualified to vote!  Everyone who voted was qualified to vote or they wouldn't have been able to. Perhaps you mean they didn't know what they were doing and thought they were entering a prize draw? 

People who voted Brexit knew what they were doing as did those who voted to remain, I'm certain of that. Those who did stay in bed really have no justification to give an opinion if they simply can't be bothered to even get out of bed and tick a piece of paper, what credibility could their opinion have?

Hello hello hello.... what is going on ere guv ?

https://www.bfmtv.com/politique/emmanuel-macron-vise-par-un-jet-de-tomates-lors-de-sa-deambulation-sur-un-marche-a-cergy_AV-202204270316.html

Someone has chucked tomatoes at Mr Macron. Never !

Like it's been...what 48 hrs since the election ?

?

I am guessing it was some French person doing that and not some idiot Brit (that is me BTW) living/moaning about Macron.

What a waste of tomatoes. 

Good for blood pressue are tomatoes. Not great for suits and white shirts.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

Squashed tomatoes running down his lovely hairy chest would have been the best. 

Exposing your hairy chest in a photo shoot was always going to invite tomatoes. 

He did not have to stand for the presidency and could have let France repair itself instead. 

Nope...it is all about him and his hairy chest. 

I'm betting he does not last 2 years. 

• Haha 1