Tour de France

6 minutes ago, NormanH said:

Nobody cares Norman. NOBODY CARES ! 

Not one person (apart from yourself of course) in France or on the planet cares. 

Macron will win...blah blah blah.

A person that only 28% of people want in France to be president will win. 

Prepare yourself for 4 years of strife on the streets if he does. 

Unless nobody turns out to vote. 

Then who knows who will win. 

But still, nobody really cares in France anymore who wins.

Applogies...this bloke does..

https://www.bfmtv.com/politique/il-ne-m-a-pas-decu-le-patron-des-chasseurs-votera-macron-des-le-premier-tour_AN-202203300242.html

God help us all. 

Edited by alittlebitfrench

9 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

It's not about 'nobody cares', there is a worldwide dearth of able politicians so 'least worst' is the name of the game. For all his faults Macron is way ahead of the other candidates so it's a no-brainer that he gets in again.

Worst is certainly the name of the game but Macron is by far the worst out of all of them. Well apart from Zemmour I guess but even then it is very close between the two. 

Anyway, we are on holiday that weekend so OH won't be voting. We have two French relatives looking after the house, so they won't be voting either. SiL won't be voting nor will her entourage. They could not care less.

In our region schools break up that weekend, so most folk will go on holiday. So they won't vote.

It will be just be mostly old folk with time on their hands that will vote in the first round.

Then in the second round people will decide if they want Macron or MLP.

If I had the vote (and I am glad I don't) I would go for MLP. 

48 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

Actually, albf, what has Macron done wrong? Taxes are down slightly, it seems, France is prosperous. He has got the Army out of Mali. And keeps trying to get France back to the top table of world politics.

Tax Foc is going to go through the roof in 2022 Wooly....?

In terms of France being back at the top of world politics.....I dare say there is not a leader in the world that likes Macron. He is a liablity. 

Boris is more popular for crying out loud.

Zelensky does not seem to like Macron much either. Even if Macron now tries to dress like him.

Another 4 years of Macron and France is in the shît. 

Usual nonsense ALBF.

Macron will of course be re-elected.

I’m not unhappy with that - at least he’s tried to have some kind of dialogue with Putin.  Whether successfully, doubtful, but at least he’s tried.  Electioneering?   Yes, maybe, but do I care if he succeeds just a bit?

Higher taxes in every ‘western’ country are inevitable.  

As for a seriously better alternative candidate for President here in France ..... there isn’t one.

Not saying that he’s perfect, but ...........  

13 hours ago, Gardian said:

Usual nonsense ALBF.

Macron will of course be re-elected.

I’m not unhappy with that - at least he’s tried to have some kind of dialogue with Putin.  Whether successfully, doubtful, but at least he’s tried.  Electioneering?   Yes, maybe, but do I care if he succeeds just a bit?

Higher taxes in every ‘western’ country are inevitable.  

As for a seriously better alternative candidate for President here in France ..... there isn’t one.

Not saying that he’s perfect, but ...........  

I am struggling to to see what I have written 'so far' is nonsense.

Macron is not a well liked bloke. Both in France and globally. 

There has to be a reason for that. 

Surely that is enough not to get re-elected.

France is in trouble and it needs a leader.

Not some wierdo that ended up in politics. And he is wierd. He his just plain flippin scary.  

Remember of course (and I say it again) that we are a family of 5. We are not retired OAP's/place in the suns. 

Our future is dependent on the leadership of France. And France desperately needs some leadership. 

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

If ALBF thinks anyone bar Zemmour is better than Macron then he needs his bumps felt, Europe would shudder if MLP got elected.

Take a look at the policies of Valerie Pecresse compared to those of Marine LePen - there are marked similarities.

But nobody is shuddering at the prospect of Pecresse getting elected. 

With Europe focussing on the man who has his hand on the Russian gas tap, energy security is the most important subject for the forthcoming presidential election bar none.

As President you must make your best efforts to keep the people warm and fed and with the affordable means to travel to their work and to the shops.

Just now, NormanH said:

Squeaky bum time for Macron?

9 hours ago, Harnser said:

Take a look at the policies of Valerie Pecresse compared to those of Marine LePen - there are marked similarities.

At 8.5% I doubt anyone needs to shudder at the prospect of Pecresse becoming President. I have found the polls in France to be amazingly accurate so Pecresse is, in reality, a non starter. For me I'm disappointed. I would have wanted her or Zemmour to become President but really that has always been wishful thinking. The hard truth is that it was always (is) La Pen and Macron in the final round with a victory for Macron. Anyone with scant knowledge of French politics will know this. The French electoral system, I find, is to blame for France repeatedly electing a President it doesn't want!!!

11 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

If ALBF thinks anyone bar Zemmour is better than Macron then he needs his bumps felt, Europe would shudder if MLP got elected.

MLP is probably the most moderate candidate out of the leading contenders.

But the thing is, she is the only one that cares about France. She really does care about France. You can't knock her for that. And that is what France needs. Someone who cares. Not career politciens looking after themselves. 

Macron is only interested in his own career and particularly in the EU. He is not interested in 'France'. 

If Macron gets in the GJ's will be back and in bigger numbers.

16 hours ago, Harnser said:

I am, or would be, but she has zero chance; well less than Macron, Le Pen, Mélenchon, Zemmour. April 10 I will vote for my preferred candidate (who will not make it to April 24) and then for 'ABC' (the equivalent to UK Any But Conservative').

I suspect that Zemmour is there  to drain  the pus from the from the abscess on French politics that the  extreme right represents, (but only in appearance)  and make MLP seem almost reasonable; but once he is eliminated  they will all flock back behind her for the second round.

I have a feeling she might win, as has already happened in Béziers with our Maire.

1 hour ago, ko12x2 said:

I am, or would be, but she has zero chance; well less than Macron, Le Pen, Mélenchon, Zemmour. April 10 I will vote for my preferred candidate (who will not make it to April 24) and then for 'ABC' (the equivalent to UK Any But Conservative').

I would prefer Nathalie Arthaud to Hidalgo, but as you say neither of them will make it. I would have preferred Taubira to either of those but she was seen off by the machinations of the other partes.

On 15/02/2022 at 07:21, NormanH said:

An up to date list of how many parrinages each candidate has so far. https://www.vie-publique.fr/en-bref/283576-presidentielle-2022-les-premiers-parrainages-valides?fbclid=IwAR0jY3WV47lCuEZa0GLuraZUB1ikWx0vopRl9vuG3MXCXYS5KXruDi0f8IA0

500 is the target to reach in order to be able to stand.

I was strangely amused that Michel Barnier, the EU failed dropout candidate, who had delusions of grandeur of being a candidate in this presidential election achieved the sum total of one signature.

One?  Really?

Oh Dear.

25 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

Well if it is in the Guardian it must be true I suppose! Funny though that Macron is able to do it now, has nothing to do with next weeks elections I'm sure! Guardian readers will be enthralled I'm sure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Well if it is in the Guardian it must be true I suppose! Funny though that Macron is able to do it now, has nothing to do with next weeks elections I'm sure! Guardian readers will be enthralled I'm sure!

The Guardian reporters don't live in France and thus have no idea about what life is like in France.

They will say anything put the UK down anyway. 

The Guardian is worse than the place in sun type programs. 

6 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

The Guardian reporters don't live in France and thus have no idea about what life is like in France.

They will say anything put the UK down anyway. 

The Guardian is worse than the place in sun type programs. 

Well, I can agree with that!!

10 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

I was being ironic!

As you like irony how about this then: We are being asked to make sure all electric appliances are off, no necessary lights etc. because there is heavy demand on the supply of electricity this morning. The news channels have repeated the message several times. In between the news bulletins the adverts featured several ads for all electric cars!!!!!!

• Haha 1