Travel to UK and back- what are the current rules?

soupagirl

Please is there anyone out there who can tell me exactly what the current rules for travel are, as both UK and French govt sites have me confused. We are resident in France. Our daughter is getting married in Cumbria in early December, and we would love to go, but if we've got to order and pay for day 2 and day 8 tests over there, plus tests when we come back to France, we will schedule a visit instead for whenever travel is easier and safer. We are both fully vaccinated. Thanks in advance for any definite information.

Tests prior to leaving France no longer needed, but only a day two pre booked test in UK which is shown on the Passenger Locator Form, also needed, plus proof of double or more vaccination ( download certificate from Ameli).

To return, proof of vaccination plus form saying, on your honour that you havent got covid symptoms and havent knowingly been in contact with anyone who has.

• 2 weeks later...

Just come back via the tunnel.  Indeed all preloaded, no questions asked (I spoke to a human as they'd managed to mess up which side to go, and he was on the wrong side for me).   SAid, I have al the docs do you wnat to go on teh next shuttele (I was early) said, yes and away I went.  French douane checked passport (did not stamp it, WARP attached to it and presented together).  Asked for proof of vaccination, had a  paper version with sworn stament on other side, showed him both and off I went.  I left before pre-test was eliminated, but no need now, 2 day test OK.  I used Oncologia, not the cheapest at £55, but all worked as planned, test arrived on the day expected, sent off the next day, result back with 24/48 hrs.  Mid afternoonon a Sunday, quick and painless. 

Thank you for all the replies. This day 2 test.....I understand you have to order it before you leave for the UK and it will be delivered to an address specified by you. Now I can see the reasoning behind this if you are travelling to UK to your property there or staying with relatives. But we would (probably) be staying in a Travelodge somewhere and I would be anxious about the delivery not reaching us. Has anyone out there had their tests successfully delivered to a cheapie hotel?

• 3 weeks later...

We have just been to the UK for a week - we are French residents.

We booked our day 2 lateral flow tests via the Boots website £21 each, delivered to our son’s flat. The day before we left France we filled out the Passenger Locator form online and then printed them out. 
At the French passport control we were told to always hand over our Cartes de Séjour with our passports or our passports would be stamped. Our Passenger Locator forms and our Pass Sanitaire forms were checked.

Coming back to France, our passports, Cartes and Pass Sanitaires were checked but we were not asked for ( and have never been asked for ) the Attestation d’Honneur which I had totally forgotten about !

Hope this helps.

Went to the U.K. for the weekend. Flew from Biarritz where my passport and vaccination certificate were checked. Arrived Stanstead, exited through the E; Passport control. No checks whatsoever ever. Had my Day two test that evening in Euston (negative) and got the test result four hours later.

To come home Sunday evening my passport and the attestation were asked for by the airline at Stansted, nothing else. At Biarritz just my passport was asked for. The Locater form for the U.K, and the attestation form were not asked for by either countries officials.

This morning I had an email from the NHS saying that the tracing service had come across someone who had tested positive that I may have been in contact with. and that I have to self isolate for ten days!! I intend to have another test ASAP as I doubt I have contracted anything other that an increased dislike for my home Town Which seems full of foreigners!! I wonder if that can be construed as racist, probably!!!

The NHS wanted all sorts of details with an online form but then it came to my home address and it wouldn't accept a foreign address, so that was a waste of time. I shall have the Covid test ASAP and then I will try and contact the NHS with the result, whatever it is or otherwise I can see I will be pestered for weeks!!!

That’s a tricky one, Ken.

I was pinged by the NHS recently, after a trip to Scotland, saying that on 21 Sept (a week earlier) I was in proximity to someone who had since tested positive. I can only think it was the (unmasked) man sitting next to me on the train between London and Edinburgh.

I was not told to isolate (I presume the time elapsed constituted the usual incubation period), but was instructed to go to an official NHS testing centre and get a PCR test asap which, as I live in the U.K., was easy to do.  Result came speedily back, negative, and it now appears on my NHS app along with my first two vaccinations.   Of course, you are absolutely right to get a French PCR test done, but it's mystifying how you can officially inform the NHS about the French test result.  

Also, as they have asked you to self-isolate, will someone be knocking on the door of your UK home to check that you are complying? 

I can second the Boots Lateral Flow Test recommendation. Worked very well for me online. Same with Eurotunnel procedure. All sorted before I got to Calais and went straight through showing only my passport. Even managed to find my way round all the bollards which seemed to have been laid out by someone who had had more than their fair share of Pernod

6 hours ago, Ken said:

I doubt I have contracted anything other that an increased dislike for my home Town Which seems full of foreigners!! I wonder if that can be construed as racist, probably!!!

You are a foreigner living in a foreign country complaining about foreigners in your home town in the UK.

?

Your not racist.

Hypocrite maybe ? ?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

You are a foreigner living in a foreign country complaining about foreigners in your home town in the UK.

?

Your not racist.

Hypocrite maybe ? ?

You are right about me being a foreigner in France. Where I live I don't know of any other 'foreigners' at all, English or otherwise; I'm pleased to say. As. for London, the only ones who seemed to speak English without a 'foreign' accent were the descendants of Pakistanis and Indians!! No, neither hypocritical nor racist. Just sad at what London has become.

18 hours ago, Loiseau said:

That’s a tricky one, Ken.

I was pinged by the NHS recently, after a trip to Scotland, saying that on 21 Sept (a week earlier) I was in proximity to someone who had since tested positive. I can only think it was the (unmasked) man sitting next to me on the train between London and Edinburgh.

I was not told to isolate (I presume the time elapsed constituted the usual incubation period), but was instructed to go to an official NHS testing centre and get a PCR test asap which, as I live in the U.K., was easy to do.  Result came speedily back, negative, and it now appears on my NHS app along with my first two vaccinations.   Of course, you are absolutely right to get a French PCR test done, but it's mystifying how you can officially inform the NHS about the French test result.  

Also, as they have asked you to self-isolate, will someone be knocking on the door of your UK home to check that you are complying? 

I don't have a home in the U.K. so that can't happen.

18 hours ago, Loiseau said:

EDIT

From the UK Citizens, Advice website

”... The government have said that from 16 August 2021, you won’t have to self-isolate if you’re fully vaccinated and you don’t have symptoms or a positive test result.”

It would seem that the different departments are not coordinating as the NHS message clearly stated I should self isolate! I'm afraid I don't have much faith in the NHS anyway. I do have my test today , hopefully negative then I shall, somehow, contact the NHS and put their mind at rest!!!

2 hours ago, Ken said:

You are right about me being a foreigner in France. Where I live I don't know of any other 'foreigners' at all, English or otherwise; I'm pleased to say. As. for London, the only ones who seemed to speak English without a 'foreign' accent were the descendants of Pakistanis and Indians!! No, neither hypocritical nor racist. Just sad at what London has become.

I'm guessing Star Trek went way above your head.?

We live in a multi-cultural world Ken.

We should embrace it. 

I read an article in the NY times not so long ago saying that London was an example to the world when it comes to multicultralism. They were right. Shame Boris is trying to spoil the party.

BTW...you would freak out in the places I have lived in France. In some areas, French was not really the first language. I liked that. Hearing different languages. 

Edited by alittlebitfrench

7 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I'm guessing Star Trek went way above your head.?

We live in a multi-cultural world Ken.

We should embrace it. 

I read an article in the NY times not so long ago saying that London was an example to the world when it comes to multicultralism. They were right. Shame Boris is trying to spoil the party.

BTW...you would freak out in the places I have lived in France. In some areas, French was not really the first language. I liked that. Hearing different languages. 

Well each to his own. You embrace it I'll just live with it. As for the N.Y. Times; multiculturalism, well N.Y. is a very fine example I suppose!