Stranded in rural France with Covid - what do I do?

Brightonian

I arrived at our second home in a rural area last week and on Friday afternoon I suspected I now had Covid. After being given the run-around, I found the 24-hour numéro vert 0 800 130 000. My spoken French is not good, and I had a very confused conversation with the operative till I suspect she got fed up with me and gabbled away suddenly and put the phone down.

My problem is I want to get tested, but I'm a long way from anywhere that has testing facilities and I don't drive (normally I get a taxi or bus into town, but I think that's not a good idea). What I think I understood from the numéro vert person was I had to contact the local infirmière à domicile. As luck would have it, there is one in the local village. However, they don't answer their phone and I've left a voicemail which they haven't responded to as yet.

Any advice?

Where are you?

Many pharmacies have self testing kits for sale.  Could you phone your nearest pharmacy to ask if they sell them - AND - have them in stock.  If yes, you could then hire a taxi to pick up the test kit and deliver it to your mailbox where you could have his payment waiting for him - no real physical contact.

Otherwise, you could ask if your nearest pharmacie could have the kit delivered to you. 

Sorry to hear you may have Covid. Cabinets Infirmiers certainly can and locally do carry out Covid tests and a good time to contact them by phone is 7am / 7.30am because that's when people often go in to get their early blood tests done.

Do you have any neighbours you can call on (masked and socially distanced) who would be able to make phone calls or even pick up a Covid test for you?