Plus value tax for retired people

beardwood

Can anyone help please ?

I have read so many articles saying that if you are over the retirement age and earing less than 9000 euros (approx) that plus value tax is not applicable . I have just paid a large sum in plus value tax as I sold 2 properties close together which I originally bought as one . If I have paid it unnecessarily is there any way I can reclaim it ?

I've never heard this and think you may be confusing plus value tax with taxe d'habitation, liability for which can be reduced or even renoved if you are over retirement age and on a small enough income. Hopefully one of our more knowledgeable members will be along with more information soon.

Ah, now I know where I went wrong !

Build up a property portfolio, reach retirement age ensuring I am on a low (visible) income, then sell the properties completely free of 'plus value' tax - brilliant [:D]

Sounds like you may have been poorly advised somewhere along the way [:(]

Where are these 'so many articles' you refer to ?

There is this

Retraités ou invalides de condition modeste

Si vous êtes  titulaire d'une pension de vieillesse

ou de réversion ou d'une carte d'invalidité (de 2ème ou 3ème catégorie),

vos plus-values immobilières sont exonérées d'impôt à la double

condition suivante :

• ne pas être soumis à l'impôt de solidarité sur la fortune (ISF) au titre de l'avant dernière année précédant celle de la vente,

• le revenu fiscal de référence de l'avant dernière année

précédant celle de la vente doit être inférieur à un certain montant

(pour une vente en 2011, votre revenu fiscal de référence de 2009 doit

être inférieur à

9.876 €

pour la 1ère part de quotient familial, majorée de

2.637 €

pour chaque demi-part supplémentaire).

on the site

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F10864.xhtml#N101FA

I'm not sure if this only applies to people who have a French pension.

but it looks as if you would need to have declared your income in France for a couple of years and have an 'Avis d'Imposition'

[quote user="NormanH"]I have posted twice in the last week about the various changes in the tax on the plus value of residences sécondaires.
Nobody reacted, including you.

[/quote]

Not true I remember mentioning the February 2012 deadline; elegantly confirmed by lady the minister pecresse on Capital M6 yesterday evening.

At one point in the programme devoted to niches fiscales I seemed to recognise the office which a "chercheur d'impôts" was entering, indeed in the main street of St Loup sur Thouet some 5 kilometres away, a local character the local Notaire M.Hervé Ducoin affably listened to the fiscal advantages of niches fiscales, in particular the one offered by  the la Loi Girardin.

It wasn't done to make a fortune or even a living . It was done because the I couldnt afford the upkeep on the property as it was too big . Is it sarcasm or some sort of jealousy that makes people reply like this . I still live in france and bought another house in the same market so I havent gained just paid a lot of tax .

The articles are easy to find just google them .

I think you need to print off the legal stuff (as posted by Norman) then take it to the notaire together with your last two Avis d'Imposition.

When my mother sold she took that information with her and the notaire dealt with it. He didn't volunteer that she might not be liable for plus value; I presume that it's something you need to ask for.

[quote user="beardwood"]It wasn't done to make a fortune or even a living . It was done because the I couldnt afford the upkeep on the property as it was too big . Is it sarcasm or some sort of jealousy that makes people reply like this . I still live in france and bought another house in the same market so I havent gained just paid a lot of tax . The articles are easy to find just google them .[/quote]

I'm glad you received a couple of useful responses. Two out of five is a pretty good result for this forum.