Holiday in Corsica

Joe

Absolutely, the more so if you enjoy driving, the little back roads are terrific !

Went there last September with the Cahors car club and loved every minute of it. We did about 2000m in seven days yet barely went further than 1/2 way down the island, keeping that for the next time [:D]

Two tips:

It can get quite crowded so my advice would be to go late season, say September like we did, when the weather will still be good but it won't be so crowded.

If you're going to drive the North peninsular - the finger - go up the East side and down the West, even if it means driving West to East to do it. The scenery on the West side if far more impressive and not only will you be on the side of the road nearest to the edge to see down to the sea the distant scenery will be in front of you so you won't be craning you necks or stopping every 2 minutes to drink it in.

kizpip said it, don't think DO IT !!!

We did a fly drive there August 2006.  It was probably the most scenic place I have ever been, I too love Greece and Skopelos is my favourite but it only gets my vote because it's a Greek island.  We drove round the hole island in a week but it felt like we were there for a month.  We had real difficulty finding accommodation as we hadn't booked anything and it was peak season.  We ended up in the mountains in a small  village called Zonza and stayed in the Hotel Le Tourisme, very nice and the rates were a lot better than they are now.  The roads and scenery leading up and from there were by a mile the best I have ever seen.  On the way down to Porto-veccio the cloud formations were really weird, they looked like space ships and Mr Wippy ice creams. 

My advice, go as soon as possible for as long as possible but take lots of money cos it isn't Benidorm, thank god.

We went from Toulon overnight ( lovely cabin) not on the french ferries ( they were on strike) to Bastia and returned to Italy    It was May - probably Ascention time - it was on an impulse - we coulnt get a cheap room in |Toulon so jumped on the ferry . ( well drove actually) - we didnt even know where it was going

It was the most magical place - the wild flowers were spectacular -we had no trouble finding a hotel in a good location .

We only did the north -would love to go back another time and stay for  a lot longer do more of the island and maybe carry on to Sardinia . 

[quote user="Cluzo"]We only did the north -would love to go back another time and stay for a lot longer do more of the island and maybe carry on to Sardinia.[/quote]Our plan exactly.

Being an organised club event (29 cars) the cost was a very reasonable €1200 all in, 7 full days and just fuel and booze at the bar to pay for. As it happened my MGB turned 300,000m on the island but that's a different story altogether [:)]

Go for the scenery, the lovely beaches and the SMELL. The perfume which comes from all the wild mountainous herbs, plants and flowers in the scrubby maquis is the most wonderful I have ever experienced. It should be bottled and sold - it's better than the lemony piney smell in some of the Greek islands. I've been twice, liked it all but found the roads quite difficult especially in high season and did get quite fed up with the hot and gale force winds in the south west. Went from Nice both times with Corsica Ferries on a really good boat directly to Bastia. Unfortunately the second time because of quite strong winds (and Nice being a relatively small port) it was too difficult for the ferry to dock so within sight of the French the ferry changed direction and sailed towards Italy. It was a long time before anyone mentioned it to the passengers and we had a longer journey back through southern France from Italy to our hotel and we also missed our dinner !!

• 1 month later...
When I pick up my old age pension (if I'm still alive and it's still being paid!) this is where we're going to celebrate it.

If anyone has read the book 'Come To My Table' by Louise Luiggi or goes to the French Living restaurant in Nottingham which I can highly recommend for excellent food at a sensible price, will already know about it. If anyone is interested then have a look at the links. Chris

www.frenchliving.co.uk

www.villacorsica.co.uk/

ps I ought to add that my french neighbours say that it's where thiefs and crooks hide out - they haven't been to the UK !!

We also did a fly drive, a few years ago now. We went with one of the cheaper airlines from Stansted, had packed one case for our tent and pillows, sleeping bags etc,, and the suitcase for our clothes. The car rental was next to the airport , everything went very smoothly.It was one of our better holidays. Several campsites around Corsica, reasonably priced, we would alternate it 3 nights camping one night Hotel that way we had more money for eating out everynight in the restaurants.!!.. those were the days..... We went just out of the school holidays in June..plenty of accommodation....

• 2 years later...
To revive this thread. This time in 2 weeks we will be in Propriano, SW Corsica and looking forward to it too! Last Sept we went to Calvi for  week and had such a lovely time. It is a beautiful island and we hope to have more holidays there.

We are driving from Carcassonne to Toulon, overnight ferry to Ajaccio and an hour and a bit to Propranio to the house we have booked. When I checked travel prices it's cheaper to take the car than to fly/drive and the cabin saved a hotel room and a horribly early morning! I don't 'do' mornings well these daze! Can't come too soon!

Calvi Citadelle

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/Corsica/CorsicaCalvifromChapelSena_zpsf38f305a.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Corsica/CorsicaCalvifromChapelSena_zpsf38f305a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Lucky you!

If you're booked on an evening crossing, beware of rush hour in Toulon. We got stuck in a horrendous traffic jam there, in 30° heat.

You've no doubt got your own plans, but Bonifacio and Sartène are well worth a visit.

Bonnes vacances!

We should (?) be OK traffic wise. The ferry leaves at 21.00 and we have to be there an hour before at the latest. We will leave here early/mid morning and probably have some time in Toulon?

We booked through a group called directCorsica. They aren't agents, but people who started going on holiday a good while back and now help others. I have nothing to do with them apart from being happily helped by them..

[quote user="crossy67"]Just a thought.  Where do the ferries sail from and to for Corsica and any idea how much they are?

[/quote]

SNCM & Corsica Ferries are the two main operators.

Would strongly suggest going for the latter - SNCM is very strike-prone!

Services ex Marseille, Toulon, & Nice ......... to Bastia, Calvi, Ajaccio, & ile Rousse.

You'll get prices off the websites - totally dependent on dates, cabins, etc.