Fosse & SPANC

JP

Hi all,

I have seen a few comments on the gradual inspection & replacement of old "fosse's" & that they have to be SPANC compliant ?  Being on the verge of signing a CdV on a house that has a fosse, should I

a) be concerned about this?
b) ask for some sort of SPANC compliance / inspection certificate (do they exist?)
c) Put a 'clause suspensive' in my CdV (is this possible, my immobilier seems to think not ?)
d) what other precaution could I take / advice could anyone give

... am I unduly worried about the fosse not being up to snuff & being landed with a large bill to have it replaced or to connect up to the main sewer (made available in the last couple of years)

Advice / thoughts would be very much appreciated

JP

If the system has been inspected recently the owners should have a report from SPANC which they should pass on to you as the new owner.

I think you should also speak to the Maire or secretary to find out whether you are going to have to connect to the mains drainage in the future. If so how much will you have to pay towards the cost.

You might be able to negotiate a reduction in price if this is the case.

I'll be interested in any informed replies to this question, as we have an old farmhouse with a fosse septique in the cellar, and a quite clearly non-compliant drainage arrangement leading off from it. But then as far as I can tell the same goes for almost everyone else around here.

No doubt one day the time will come when something will have to be done, but I cannot see that many of my neighbours are able (let alone willing) to find the cash to bring their own systems up the modern requirements.

I'd be quite pleased if I were in JP's position and there was mains drainage available nearby which we could (at a cost) get ourselves plumbed into. Round here there certainly isn't, and the location of our farmhouse makes it very difficult indeed to comply with the new requirements at any reasonable cost.

Hello,

You can add as many clauses suspensives as you wish in your compromis - if your estate agent says you can't then he is wrong, or just wants the sale to go through as quickly as possible. Is it the agent that is doing the compromis or a notaire? If it's a notaire, then ask them their opinion. I think the inspection issue probably depends on where you are. I work for an estate agency in the Lot, 46, and we recently sold a house that had not yet had it's SPANC check-up (they are systematically doing all the houses around here I think). Before the compromis was signed I rang up SPANC and asked them if this house could jump the queue and be inspected. The inspection was carried out the next week. Having said that, the resulting piece of paper was pretty worthless as the inspector couldn't actually find the tank and just stated that there appeared to be a tank in place, somewhere, and there were no bad odours or apparent leakages....! It didn't put off the buyers, as there is a possibility to join the house up to mains drainage, which is what they will eventually do, but the point is that SPANC will do the check for you.

If mains drainage is an option for you, I wouldn't worry unduly about the existing tank as you will probably be obliged to connect to the mains in a few years' time anyway (the connection itself is often not as expensive as a new fosse, it's the cost per linear metre of pipes needed between you and the mains that can be more costly). Either way, ask at the local mairie. They will tell you if mains drainage will be available, and the connection costs.

I would also ask the current owners for written proof of the last time the fosse was emptied. It should be done every 4 years, and if it hasn't been they should get it done before you buy. If it is a newish fosse, ask for all bills/receipts/guarantees purtaining to its installation.

Hope that helps - ask your estate agent/notaire as many questions as you can if at all unsure - they should be providing you with all information (DPE, termites test if applicable, lead, asbestos checks etc) before the compromis stage.

Jane

Our house in France has 'failed' its fosse test.

As far as I know we have to make changes/ new tank - whatever ...  The timing for this seems to be a bit vague.  But, we would much prefer to stay with the septic tank, even if we have to spend a few grand.   If you are to get connected to the mains sewerage there will be an regular bill I assume.

Here in Wiltshire we pay at least  £600 pa for sewerage alone (our water consumption bill is from a different company), and as we are now metered it is based on consumption, and we are careful with water, and are usually only 2 people.     I expect it might be cheaper in France, but prices are increasing there too.

Our estate agent when we bought almost 4 years ago was very pushy  and wanting us to sign                                                                            asap - don't !

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]Our house in France has 'failed' its fosse test.

As far as I know we have to make changes/ new tank - whatever ...  The timing for this seems to be a bit vague.  But, we would much prefer to stay with the septic tank, even if we have to spend a few grand.   If you are to get connected to the mains sewerage there will be an regular bill I assume.

[/quote]

Please don't assume that if you stay with your septic tank that it will continue to cost you exactly the same as does today. Look at this I posted before. It is not just our local commune who does this. But this doesn't mean this will happen tomorrow, but soonish.

Sue

[quote user="tegwini"]Our house is most unlikely to get onto any mains drainage system.[/quote]

Great news for you if you are happy with your set up and your fosse works well. Ours does on all counts, but we will have no option but to pay the full rate even though we have little possibility of being able to connect to the mains, even if we wanted to.

[quote user="tegwini"]I will however be checking this out on my next visit to France. [/quote]

Please believe me when I say I don't want to upset anyone, just make more people realise what can possibly happen.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Just to square the cricle as they say .... Notaire informed me that new mains sewerage has been laid in the area but that existing householders are not being asked to connect.  When you buy, as the new owner you are obliged to connect within 2 years.  The mains runs right outside so its is only a few metres - no drama there.  As for the current FS, that was emptied last year & the grease trap cleaned .... so, happy days until Feb 2012 when I wil have to fork out to connect to the mains .... JP