We are always delighted to be able to visit our slowly improving holiday home 5k south of Gemozac. However, as the girls (now 14 and 16) grow they are less content than they were - just normal teenager reaction. They prefer not to be seen publicly with the old fogies who are their actually quite young parents and miss 'being with their mates' at home. Question is do any of you have  any prospective local 'mates' of teenage years, either sex who might also wish to 'hang out' during the holidays? There are no local French of the right age. Whilst we do take their friends with us on holidays I am not happy to do that for all the time we are there - we do need some family time, and it can get a touch expensive!

Pouyade

Having seen the result of doing that when friends 'trusted' their 16 year old, I think mine will have graduated from uni before I'd risk it!! With the number of people moving in locally, surely some youngsters will arrive..................Not that having to mix with the token toddler and the retired locals is BAD for them, just a bit limiting, even I will concede!

Pouyade

I can sympathise but agree it is probably safer to have them with you in France.

I have been told that Gemozac swimming pool can offer some social life for teenagers, worth a try

Gill (99/17)

Deepest sympathies. We have the same problem! Our soon-to-be 15 year-old has just given us a very mature and reasoned speech as to why he doesn't particularly want to come to France (again) with us at half-term (which incorporates the date of his 15th birthday, coincidentally). He has been trying in vain to persuade us to allow him to remain in the UK with his elder brother (just 18).

On the performance of his brother, whom we've left at home a few times, I can confidently predict that at least one item of furniture or household equipment will mysteriously disappear, a whole bottle of vanish carpet cleaner will be used up, the kitchen will be coated in a fine layer of grease (including places like the inside of the fridge) and we'll be finding empty bottles and beer cans in strange corners of the garden for months. In his brother's defence, he is still alive and we haven't had any visits from irate neignbours or members of the police!!

I can equally confidently predict that our youngest will be accompanying us to France at half term! We try to alleviate his boredom by getting him to invite a friend along. Fortunately, he's quite happy as long as we take him to the skate parks in either Saintes or Royan, but that's not a very "girly" thing, so can't really suggest anything to help your girls!

Jane

Croixblanches

I think we may have a little bit of mutual salvation approaching (for an hour or so)! Think you are the very kind lady whom my husband is coming to meet re swimming pool when he is over at half term. I am remaining in UK to supervise the GCSE candidate who will have no excuse as peace and quiet will reign, as the 14 year old is absent in France too. Therefore the not v girly 14 year old may be able to speak (English) to your 15 year old for an hour or so. What a treat!

If I am right, could you E mail me and tell me when is good for you - he will fit in with your diary requirements.

Many thanks

Pouyade

Croixblanches

I think we may have a little bit of mutual salvation approaching (for an hour or so)! Think you are the very kind lady whom my husband is coming to meet re swimming pool when he is over at half term. I am remaining in UK to supervise the GCSE candidate who will have no excuse as peace and quiet will reign, as the 14 year old is absent in France too. Therefore the not v girly 14 year old may be able to speak (English) to your 15 year old for an hour or so. What a treat!

If I am right, could you E mail me and tell me when is good for you - he will fit in with your diary requirements.

Many thanks

Pouyade

Yes, it's me! Will PM you, but I'm sure the kids (Omigod, did I say Kids? Wash my mouth out!) can enjoy an hour or so of mutual moaning while your OH has a look at the pool!

Gay - I know just what you mean! Much creative key-hiding goes on in our house too. Am currently wondering where to hide a new set of Sabatier kitchen knives. Not that I fear violence, you understand, but I've just purchased them using, in part, the proceeds of the whip-round my eldest was forced to have among his various mates due to the mysterious disappearance of a large Sabatier knife during our Easter trip to France!

Jane

Again, sympathies and "bon courage" to all of you with tiresome teenagers!

Just wanted to say that with luck, one day they will graduate, hatch into mature adults, hopefully find reasonable work and want to buy flats / houses  of their own. Then they will be only too pleased to spend some of their holidays in France with the aged parents

Ours insist on coming to France when we are out there so that they :-

a) are collected from the airport

b) do not need to hire a car

c) have their meals cooked for them

.........I could go on but I won't it is good to have them onboard from time to time.

Our two (late twenty year olds) came out in March (They were using up annual leave and short of funds due to house purchases etc.)and we all had a great long weekend together. BTW it isn't all taken for granted and they do take us out for meals sometimes. So there is hope!

Hang in there!

Gill

Yes Gill, I can (just) see the light at the end of the tunnel, thanks to the ministrations of my optician! It does sound awful to start wishing away the lives of our kids, and I know one day they'll revert to some recognisable form of "human". Meanwhile, we're about to wave off our firstborn to uni in September, so I'm now actively looking to take in washing, as the drain on our finances increases from a drip to a torrent! Still, on the very bright side, once the two of them are settled and happy with whatever they hope to do in life, our plans are already set and it'll be France here we come!

Laughed at your comment on "wanting to buy houses/flats of their own" - maybe they will, but I have an awful suspicion that they'll want to fully consider the cheaper option and move back to us, if house prices continue at current (or even higher) levels!! Yet another reason to head for France

Jane