Unwanted brits?

'After sending my tax-form off again last week....and doing the same for the UK & the States...'

OUCH

'I'm just a bit cheesed-off with all the new freeloaders that come to live here and visit CPAM in the first week to claim for repeat perscriptions etc...if they know that they are ill or have a tribe of kids...stay in Britain...at least they might have contributed something to the welfare state there'

But if someone is entitled to repeat prescriptions etc, why shouldn't they get them?. If they have paid in to the system in England then they will be covered in France by the E106 or other means through those previous payments, for a period of time. And the people with children, well those children, hopefully, are going to wind up paying into the system here. Also, I know round here people were gutted when they found out we had no nippers with us. We were a big disappointment in that respect.

I'm not squabbling with you, I only know 2 English couples here, (one of which have known MOH since birth), so I don't know whether this is a real problem in France, or whether you are just still smarting from all those demands

tresco

And I bet 85% of that 85% aren't paying any tax or cotisations in France

However, I think a time will come when it will all catch up with these people.  The Maire in our village (where nine of the houses are Brit owned) says that she knows that all the Brits in the area work for each other on the black and I get the feeling she is just biding her time before someone upsets her enough to make her do something about it, which could trigger a witch hunt. 

[quote]And I bet 85% of that 85% aren't paying any tax or cotisations in France However, I think a time will come when it will all catch up with these people. The Maire in our village (where nine of the h...[/quote]

Oh how I do agree with you Coco...and to rub salt into the wound...whilst I retired 12 years...I still have to pay tax on "unearned income"...and I'm not talking about pensions which I don't have.

Let's move to France...income?...well...we can look after holiday homes/building work/help people find property....and still have a police/nurse's pension to pay for all the alcohol consummed at ex-pats functions.

[quote]There's a village..10k..away..where 85% are British!!![/quote]

85% eh, so if my sums are right Boggie, if there 10 houses in the village and 8½ are British and one is French, who does the other half belong to ?

Leprechauns ?

[quote]85% eh, so if my sums are right Boggie, if there 10 houses in the village and 8½ are British and one is French, who does the other half belong to ? Leprechauns ?[/quote]

Good God Miki...your worse then me

No..not many Irish around here...cost of spuds to high...it belongs to a Dwarf..whoops...sorry..."A person with growing difficulties"

[quote]Good God Miki...your worse then me No..not many Irish around here...cost of spuds to high...it belongs to a Dwarf..whoops...sorry..."A person with growing difficulties"[/quote]

Just Miki please Boggie,

Leave the God bit to someone more worthy than I (and he is Portugese). "wink"

3 houses were up for sale in our small village over the last 2 months.  Every last one of them has been sold to a Brit.  All of them full time abodes.

I am waiting for a backlash from the Villageois now.

Time will tell if they are the GnT crowd. How far are we from Marbella????

Deby

Hi Duchess,

We are too far away when it is cold and damp here but when the suns out here in Brittany, it is far enough away not to worry us, does that makes sense, I don't think it does, hey ho never mind.

Anyway, here I have to admit that I do love to take the odd trip down to the South of Spain (too rare these days !) but my real love in Spain is just to the south of Barcelona. It is like having grand kids (we haven't....yet)when you've had enough etc, in this case, we can just head back to France and away from the "costas".

Miki, one of my french friends said to me today - maybe I should open a shop in the village selling all things English! God knows when we will get to have a holiday. I must admit I do like Barcelona though, but where I would want to go my kids would not enjoy, they are strictly beach and I do not fancy the one in the City itself, especially when we have great beaches here - Royan for example.  What an earth people see in the Med I do not know?!?

My guess is the Dordogne is full up so people are moving to the perimeter. 

Deby

• 1 month later...

[quote]Since when was The Aviator an English film?[/quote]

With regard to the Aviator being a UK film, I seem to remember that it was financed by UK money. It's the origin of the finance, rather than the nationality of the crew, cast or location, that gives the film its "nationality"

Riccardo (Bx)

What's wrong with coming to France for a cheaper life with a bigger house and garden ? people have been moving from London to the south coast for the same reason for years and the dont all love the locals

[quote]What's wrong with coming to France for a cheaper life with a bigger house and garden ? people have been moving from London to the south coast for the same reason for years and the dont all love the lo...[/quote]

I think, unless you only drink,drive and smoke, that France stopped being cheap some time back. If you want cheap go to Spain.