Validity Period for a cheque

Nearly Retired says :I believe that a UK cheque is valid for presentation for up to 6 months, after which payment can be refused. I wonder if there is a similar limit on French cheques. I ask because we have today, in London, received a cheque from France and it may be while before we return to bank it. We could always post it I suppose.

Actually, it's valid "forever".  I know it's not what you want to know but I am replying just in case someone out there is reading your post and the answer is of interest to them.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Nearly Retired says :I believe that a UK cheque is valid for presentation for up to 6 months, after which payment can be refused.

Actually, it's valid "forever". [/quote]

Continuing Sweet's point and with apologies to the OP.

It is my belief that UK cheques are valid for up to 6 years.

At least that is what I was told when I used to work in a bank aeons ago.

Though you might have to ask for a cheque in your favour to be re-issued if you find one forgotten in a drawer. Banks often refuse to pay out on them on the grounds that the payer might have died or ceased business in the meantime.

Sue

When I used to work for a bank all the cheques were cancelled by hand and we initialled over each signature. And if they were out of date and that meant over 6 months old we would return them 'out of date', unless it was a special customer and then things were handled slightly differently.

In France I always believed that cheques were valid just over a year.

Does anyone cancel cheques anymore? Unless they are over a certain value then I doubt that they would. I suppose a cancelled cheque would get picked up automatically.