Looking for an artist!!

Hi - now that barn/sitting room is just about finished we have lots of huge wall space, some painted white and the rest honey coloured stonework. Some large abstract art would look great but my attempts have been err....shall I say amateurish to put it bluntly. Are there any artists around here (North 16, South 86) who have some work we can look at or any recommendations for good, large, abstract art (at a reasonable price)?

Can't help you Zeb but would love to know if there is any art scene in Charente at all ie galleries, towns with lots of art/craft shops. Haven't done much exploring yet, (too busy renovating on our trips down), but would like to know if there is any one particular area/town that has more than just than one token art /craft shop. Anyone know?

Becky

Hi Zeb, try E-bay (ebay.co.uk), there are many original large abstract art oil on canvas available. Just go to the Antiques and Art section and click on Art. Most show postage for the UK as well as other parts of Europe which in most cases appear to be very reasonable, some very reasonably priced art work as well.

[quote]Hi - now that barn/sitting room is just about finished we have lots of huge wall space, some painted white and the rest honey coloured stonework. Some large abstract art would look great but my attemp...[/quote]

Hi, I've just seen your post and thought you might be interested in the Urban artists we found.  In March 2002 we wanted to brighten up the look of the very large, whitish metal shutters/gates covering a wall of windows at our house.  While walking in Angouleme one evening we were interested to watch some young lads using spray cans to decorate (very professionally) the shutters of a shop while prominently displaying a letter from the shop owner saying they had permission!

We got them to come out see us and gave them a print of a Buffet painting we like, they spent one evening with us and we are very pleased with the result.  They call themselves Decorateur Urbain and say they will go anywhere in the department.  I've sent their tel number to you by e-mail. 

MHJ

Those décorateurs urbains sound interesting MHJ, you don't have an example of their work, or they don't have a site I suppose?

Zeb, your abstract and honey and white made me think of an artist discovered last year, but I only just found the paper on her, she doesn't seem to have a site either to give you an example.  She had a little "exposition" at Singulier Pluriel in Melle last year.  All her work is with natural materials and are often in soft pastel colours, using pâte à papier, plants, tissus, etc.  She does both objects and "paintings".  She also does Stages Art et Nature.

"La nature procure des richesses infinies par les formes, les couleurs, les matériaux, les jeux de l'ombre et de la lumière.  Elle est une grande source d'inspiration pour l'imaginaire et pour la création."

Mado Barré, Artiste plasticienne, Le Clos de l'Abbaye, 79170 Availles sur Chizé

tel. 05 49 73 18 70     email: [email protected]

[quote]Those décorateurs urbains sound interesting MHJ, you don't have an example of their work, or they don't have a site I suppose? Zeb, your abstract and honey and white made me think of an artist discov...[/quote]

Sorry Christine, no web site but if you are on the 939 to the south of Angouleme any day you are welcome to come and look at what they have done for us, just send me an e-mail.  I didn't put their details on the post yesterday, I wasn't sure if that was allowed but here they are now:

Décorateur Urbain

Blanchard Cyril

0545698056 ou 0670638762