Does Anyone Have Any Experience Of Buying Online From IKEA France

[quote user="Jo"]Have you looked at the Sterling shopping site? I asked them about ordering from IKEA UK and getting them to deliver it, they said they would pick it up from IKEA UK on my behalf, saving the £35 delivery charge, deliver it to my house in France ( south of the Vienne) for £275. Given that it was £160 cheaper to buy it in the UK, and IKEA France were going to charge me 230 euros for delivery, it seems a reasonable deal. Their website is: www.sterlingshopping.co.uk .[/quote]Did you use Sterling  shopping in the end.  Just saw this and thought it was a good idea. We have a house near Carcasonne, (don't know if they deliver this far) and we have quite a lot of stuff we want to get from Ikea and it's cheaper in the U.K . I need to way up the costs etc.

[quote user="Scooby"]With the exception of things like the cheap glasses, kitchen storage jars etc we really don't like IKEA stuff so can't comment on delivery charges. However, we are really surprised though with the number of people furnishing their houses with modern IKEA furniture.  Do you all live in modern (new build) housing in France?

[/quote]

No an old farmhouse, but with 3 small children and dog I'm not going to spend pots of money on the kind of furniture which they will marmolise in moments, and I will mind being marmolised.  We can replace our IKEA stuff with nicer things later when they are all better behaved (or at boarding school - [;-)]).  And as a hater of what I call "ginger" pine, (as seen in all the best 80's b& b's)  IKEA is a reasonable alternative.  We have a really good, solid, chunky kitchen table from IKEA - it could be from any expensive "country" furniture shop, and it cost 300 euros - bargain! 

I have furnished the gites entirely from IKEA - it's clean looking, easy to clean and liked by my visitors.  I get squeaks of pleasure from my French guests because it isn't all brown and granny's cast-offs! Presumably we've all stayed in a "brown" gite at some stage?

Btw, when we spent 7 grand on furnishing the gites, we hired a van for the day.  IKEA Strasbourg in the morning, BricoDepot Epinal in the afternoon.  Multi-tasking is definitely the way to go!  And, doing two jobs requiring a van definitely made it the most economic method.

Fi

[quote user="Fi"]I have furnished the gites entirely from IKEA - it's clean looking, easy to clean and liked by my visitors.  I get squeaks of pleasure from my French guests because it isn't all brown and granny's cast-offs! [/quote]

Same here, and I keep getting compliments on how comfortable the Ikea beds are [:)].

[quote user="nikki"]

[quote user="Jo"]Have you looked at the Sterling shopping site? I asked them about ordering from IKEA UK and getting them to deliver it, they said they would pick it up from IKEA UK on my behalf, saving the £35 delivery charge, deliver it to my house in France ( south of the Vienne) for £275. Given that it was £160 cheaper to buy it in the UK, and IKEA France were going to charge me 230 euros for delivery, it seems a reasonable deal. Their website is: www.sterlingshopping.co.uk .[/quote]Did you use Sterling  shopping in the end.  Just saw this and thought it was a good idea. We have a house near Carcasonne, (don't know if they deliver this far) and we have quite a lot of stuff we want to get from Ikea and it's cheaper in the U.K . I need to way up the costs etc.

[/quote]

Haven't used Sterling shopping, a friend of mine is collecting a van from UK to take to France so they are collecting it for me[:D]

• 4 months later...
We have taken a few bits from Ikea to our holiday home in France -but only things for the kitchen.

We did once hire a van to transport a kitchen and some spare furniture from the UK.  A solid oak kitchen was cheaper here and I prefered the style.   But,  never again as the van was so uncomfortable to get there (4 hrs from Le Havre/Caen) and then for the usual shopping, visits etc.  And it was expensive- both to hire and put on the ferry. 

We have found it cheaper to have bought a trailer (7x5 feet) 2 years ago,  which we use when needed.   It has now more than paid for itself with transporting stuff to France, and was also useful for the French renovations and garden when we are there for taking stuff to the déchetterie.   Recently we transported  nearly 80  sq metres of UK (thick and soft woolen carpet)  plus furniture on 2 trips - major savings here.

And now we have more options - I would recommend Ebay UK for really well-priced furniture  -  if you buy carefully.

I recently bought an Ercol-type settee and arm chair for £7.50!   In solid wood, ash - very good condition, and I am presently recovering the loose cushions as the original fabric is not to my taste.  This is just an 'extra', for the bedroom's sitting room,  but we have a lot of space to fill so I have become an Ebay fan!

Tegwini