Long Term Rental

I have been searching the internet for long term rentals, as we're hoping to move to Charente later this year.  We are planning to buy a house, before we move over, but accept that we may have to rent, if things don't "fall into place" as we hope they will.

Is it just me or is rental really expensive.  There is only the 2 of us (& the 3 cats) but people are talking about £200-£300 in low season & £400-£500 a week in the summer!!  Am I looking in the wrong places for property to rent - can anyone suggest any good sites or have any suggestions?

Thank you.

It really depends on what you want.  If you're looking to rent somewhere on a long term holiday let, then those are the going rates, however if you're thinking of renting something longer term, say 6 months + then you should be able to find something cheaper and need to look a immobiliers, etc.

**Is it just me or is rental really expensive.  There is only the 2 of us (& the 3 cats) but people are talking about £200-£300 in low season & £400-£500 a week in the summer!!**

Hi Ali

Sounds as though you are looking at short-term ie holiday, furnished rental listings - hence the expense.

We rented an unfurnished, 3 bedroom, detached house with 1000 sq m garden in a very desirable (so I am told as we have a view of the Gulf) area of Morbihan at 700 euros a month, plus bills. We found it in the small ads of the local paper -Ouest-France. We tried Agents but rental property from them was very scarce at the time of year we were looking. If you intend renting through an agent you are right to look now as there seems to be plenty available - in our area anyway - at the moment.

Sue