Metro Bank for free cash withdrawals

Now that Nationwide have abandoned us, we have opened an account at Metro Bank. They try to be different and we actually opened our account in a branch on a Bank Holiday and walked out with a fully functioning debit card about half an hour after we first sat down.

Unfortunately the few branches are currently located within the M25 area but the bank is expanding.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2021126/Metro-Bank-credit-card-free-use-abroad.html

We have used the debit card in France and I confirm it works as described on the tin.

"Are there other restrictions like minimum annual income, salary (what salary?) having to be paid into account etc?"

I didn't ask - we just ambled in and asked to open an account. The usual request for all sorts of ID was made and after a bit of tapping on the clerk's keboard we got clearance immediately. We weren't asked for details of income etc.

Having opened a nil balance current account we then went across to their change sorting machine and dumped in about £50 worth of 5p coins. The machine printed a ticket with the correct amount (Yes, we'd counted it all out before !) with no deductions and this was immediately credited to our account.

Over 50s get a free safety deposit box for 12 months too, but we didn't take them up on that offer.

Can confirm all details correct, we use Metro Bank to withdraw cash and Nationwide credit card for purchases. In the summer when we were there we made purchases/ withdrawal on both cards, they were debited from our accounts within a day or so of each other. The exchange rate applied was within a cent or so of each other.

Yes you have to be resident in UK. Not sure if that can be bypassed if you still have accounts in the UK and some kind of UK address and can get to a Metro bank with something with a UK address on it

[quote user="Chancer"]

Hopefully they will accept my perpetual tourist visa [;-)]

It will be great to avoid the fees that I am currently paying now that the 6 months has passed on the NW credit card.

[/quote]

Do us a favour Chancer ask about my PT visa while your there? [:D]

If the bank has an arm in, say, Channel Islands or IOM, they'd "strongly encourage" you to open an account there.

I think HSBC might be an exception as they seem to have branches in France but I'm not sure whether you can open a UK account with them if you live in France.

Perhaps someone on the Forum who has done this can tell us?

As for opening a brand new bank account with another bank, other than your own, I think you'd find that they'll refuse you.

Best not upset my bank then:)

When there are still a lot of expats immigrants whatever that have income originating in the UK, I am surprised that it is so tricky to move from one bank to another, especially when it was so simple to open a French account before I lived here.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="marmite"]Can confirm all details correct, we use Metro Bank to withdraw cash and Nationwide credit card for purchases. In the summer when we were there we made purchases/ withdrawal on both cards, they were debited from our accounts within a day or so of each other. The exchange rate applied was within a cent or so of each other.

[/quote]

Update on my comment. Back in the UK and have my bank statements to hand. Take 31 October as an example, I have two debits on that day, one Nationwide credit card and one Metro Bank cash withdrawal.

Nationwide 10.18 Euro @ 1.136161 to the pound

Metro         300 Euro   @  1.135976   "        "

May help other people decide about Metro Bank.

[quote user="marmite"]Update on my comment. Back in the UK and have my bank statements to hand. Take 31 October as an example, I have two debits on that day, one Nationwide credit card and one Metro Bank cash withdrawal.

Metro         300 Euro   @  1.135976   "        "[/quote]

For comparison, the "bulk" rates on that day that I can find were 1 GBP

=

1.14132205534 € (exchangerates24) or 1.14038 € (oanda.com) or 1.1453 (ECB)

[quote user="marmite"]Update on my comment. Back in the UK and have my bank statements to hand. Take 31 October as an example, I have two debits on that day, one Nationwide credit card and one Metro Bank cash withdrawal.

Metro         300 Euro   @  1.135976   "        "

[/quote]

Certainly that 0.02 - ish of a cent is neither here nor there.

By the way, you didn't choose your day very well to do that withdrawal, did you? A day or two earlier or later and you'd have got about 1.15€. I hate it when that happens[:(]

I'm going to be working in London for the next few months so went into a Metro 'store' to ask about starting an account. No earnings or minimum monthly amounts, according to the nice man. The main thing is that they need to tie you to an address, using 2 official documents. The list he gave me included:

• Statement from another bank,
    • driving licence,
    • NHS card
    • Utility bills
    • Being on the electoral register