Family entertainment?

We have our son, daughter in law and 2 grandchilfren (5 & 3) coming over next week for 5 days; I'm scratching around trying to look for a 'day out' for them not to far away from where we live (30kms east of La Rochelle). They usuually come when its warm so never a problem. Can anyone suggest somewhere suitable but not too much further than 70 -80 kms away if poss. I have looked at Palmyre Zoo near Royan but not sure how much of it is outdoors in which case it may be a bit hard going if its too cold.

In anticipation

A

Hi,

I have been to la Palmyre zoo many many times and it is fantastic for all ages, very well set out and mostly outside but with shade . I have also been to the aquarium on differing times of the year and it is excellent but gets very busy in holiday periods and can be a little disconcerting for little ones, having said that I highly recommend them both.

Regards

Monty

Why not a day out on the Ile de Ré? We live about 3km from the bridge and are always popping across. Good time of the year to visit since the toll's only 9 euros and it's dead quiet. You can hire bikes as well as a trailer for the kids. Some nice restaurants for the adults too. I'd recommend a spot of lunch followed by a leisurely cycle along the coast.

[:D]

Just a bit of feedback having just waved goodbye to our children at the airport...(one of the few negative aspects of living in France!); We decided to visit 'Zoodyssee' at Villiers en Bois south of Niort....so glad we did; it's not a zoo on a large scale as we would know it but it was wonderful for our young age group of children. We found it to be very well set our with plenty of space for the animals with just the right balance of security whilst allowing children access to the animals. There was a good variety for such a small zoo from bison to porcupines (my 5 year old grandson was mortified that he couldnt take one home with him)! All in all it was good value for money, very well thought out and certainly ecologically 'switched on'.....if it was good now assume in the summer even better....highly recommended.

L

If you feel like a relaxing couple of hours on the water ....then go to Marans ..its in the center of the Marais Regional Park    You can hire a small family size motor boat with a canopy to give you shade  and go for a chug  up the Vendee river..... or  the canals.... You can row one if you feel energetic ....An attractive old  town with waterside cafe's  and many boat hire places to choose from... all with safety in mind ...They  provide flotation jackets for children of all sizes