For gravel look in Yellow Pages for local quarries.  We got a 'semi' (25 tonne artic load) of 10-14mm chips delivered for just under 500€ inc VAT.  Smaller chips 4-10mm were the same price.

Use this link then type in "quarries" and your dept number then hit search.

Yellow

PS I wouldn't fancy living near Nigel Mansle - that droning voice would drive me mad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marmite

Sorry, only just seen this so it may be a little too late.  Anyway, there's a builders merchants just on the edge of Chalais called Reseau Pro.  You can turn up with your trailer or they will deliver.  It's on the Barbezieux road, on the right.  Have you found a builder yet?  We bought our house from a builder who now lives in Riberac.  He speaks resonable English and has quite a few ex-pat clients.  His name is Patrick Anastase - if you want his phone number then let me know.

Regards, Lynda

Hi

Just seen your post on the builders merchant near Chalais. We have just bought an old barn in Courgeac and are coming over for the first time next week.  Is this the nearest builders merchants do you know, and what's their English like, as our Frecnch isn't up to much yet.  Also do you know where we could hire a mini digger from?

Thanks

Any help appreciated.  

Hi berkey.  We live in Bellon which is quite near to Chalais so obviously Reseau Pro is good for us.  You're not that far away from Chalais but I don't know if there's anything else further north of you.  We find Reseau Pro really helpful and I think the main guy does have some English, though it's probably best to look up some of the words relating to the thing(s) that you want.  Sorry, don't have any info on mini-digger hire, though I'm sure they'll point you in the Right direction at Reseau Pro.  Hope this has helped - even just a bit!  If we can help further then please feel free to get in touch.

Lynda

Hi Marmite

I pm'd you but was incorrect, the small builders merchants is in Brossac.  They are tiny but stock quite a few things and it's always good to get to know the locals.  There is a digger hire place in Barbezieux, it's worryingly called Tardy Locations.  There is also a BricoMarche and a Gamm Vert in Barbezieux.  We will be up the road from you in Passirac, maybe we will run into each other in one of these places, our renovation starts at the weekend!

Good luck with it

Panda

Hello Panda

Thanks for the information, yes, that little shop in Brossac is pretty good for those little things that are needed in a hurry. We have also found BricoMarche in Chalais very good and we could probably do with exploring Barbezieux a little more too.

Hope your renovations go well, anything we can help you with if needed, just call, we're not that far away

Marmite

The cheapest way to get gravel is to visit a quarry or gravel wholesaler yourself with a trailer - my neighbour took me to one around here (not in your area I'm afraid) when I needed some, and they filled my 750kg trailer for 10€ (cash of course!), given how upset the tyres looked there must have been well over a ton in there as I've had a known 800kg in before now and they were absolutely fine then!

Matt

• 15 years later...