Dog and cat boarding kennels

Please we live not far from Fontenay le Comte and have both some dogs and a young kitten.

Previously a number of contributors were kind enough to recommend a kennel near to L'Hermanault

We duly put our dogs and kitten there last week and yes whilst the French approach is not the same as perhaps the UK in relation to the looking after of pets we were truly not impressed.

Indeed unhappy and our pets have come back looking as though they were dragged through hedges two have stomach upsets and one is particularly in a bad way.  Their bedding came back damp/wet and very very dirty.

Does anyone please have any other recommendations for otherwise we are stuck.

A suggestion perhaps is that on our way back to say Caen there is a kennel somewhere?

rdgs

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you weren't happy. I was one of the posters to recommend L'Hermanault, so am very surprised you were disappointed. There is a kennels at Cheffois, though I've never used it personally (or should that be for my animals!!). From speaking to friends who (like us) have cats and/or dogs it is far harder to find an establishment to cater for both. The nearest cattery that I am aware of is near Cholet. Hopefully other posters can recommend others. Good luck.

Kind regards

LL

I can recommend

http://www.pension-chien-auberdog.com/

Looking on the map quickly, I would say that this is reasonably do-able en route.  Although it's not exactly a "home from home" in that she's very busy, Brigitte is delightful and Troy comes back looking very healthy.  He gets a bit down, but I think that's more to do with his being a bit of a loner and not really taking much to having dogs around him.  But they do get regular free runs of huge paddocks and take both dogs and cats.  VERY posh - could stay there myself!

May I just say thank you to all who have posted here.  We are really upset at what we witnessed and ok French life is French life but I just bet the owner had more than a bottle of wine at lunch he was positively moving from side to side.

For balance his wife was wonderful just wonderful

rdgs

We do use Acorn at Buais, southern Manche (between St Hilaire du Harcouet and Mortain) and I recommend it unreservedly. The kennels are fully registered and insured; the owner - Emma - is an ex-veterinary nurse (so can administer any medications that an animal may be on at the time of their stay) and is extremely efficient and trustworthy. She gets booked well in advance so if you do decide to use Acorn, the earlier you can book the better.

http://www.acornkennelsandcattery.com/index.html

Where please is Cheffois?

Truly we were suprised at what we witnessed.  As I say the lady was wonderful but our dogs were not!  As to cats they are building new catteries and to be absolutely fair they looked wonderful.  I would have no problems with our kitten but very reluctant to use them again for dogs.  However had to go back from time to time to the UK and this is really causing us sleepless nights.

Hi there, Are u talking about the kennels called Portugal - where they have the huskies - on the road to Fontenay? If you are I am very surprised as we have always used them for our dogs and not had any problems at all. If youre not talking about them - I can recommend them lol.