I would like to achieve a fitted carpet, with underlay etc, in a bedroom in my house, but I don't know where to start .. am I asking for a moquette or a tapis? .. presumably they will need to come round and measure up? .. I don't think I've even seen any shops selling carpets .. I am in Argenton Les Vallées, near Bressuire, any help/advice very gratefully received ...

we had a fitted carpet in the bedrooms upstairs, totally unlike the uk, no underlay, they glue it down, and do like to fit it going up the wall, the shop looked at us with a frown when we asked for a fitter to come and measure, so hubby did it himself, then the shop worked it out.

A laying service was advertised in Leroy Merlin but had a minimum of 18 metres squared before they would take the job on.  They had a fair range of carpets, some rubbish but 6 euros a square metre some better at 20ish  so the choices were there.   Most large DIY chains do some carpets I think but as it's not a common choice the range is not the best.

• 2 weeks later...

When we had our house built, the architect assumed that the floors of the bedrooms would be left untiled (i.e. bare concrete), ready for fitted carpet to be glued down.  In the end we persuaded him to let us have tiles everywhere, and we have bedside rugs in the bedrooms.

So I doubt you will find underlay like you see in the UK; it just doesn't seem to be the tradition.  When my French friends come to my UK house, they say "Mmm, tres cosy" appreciatively when they step on the fitted carpet.

Angela

[quote user="johnv"].. I just knew this wasn't going to be easy! it is beginning to look a bit like you have to do it yourself ..[/quote]

Perhaps a 'search' might turn up something as I do remember posts from years ago on here where good underlay was brought over from the UK in cars or vans by posters and fitted under carpet either bought in France or, again, brought over from the UK.

Sue

Hi John

There is a big chain of stores called Saint Maclou which sell carpets (also wallpaper, paint, soft furnishings etc), the one we have used

is in Niort on the commercial estate there. They had a good range of 'fitted' carpets and one of our friends used their fitting service which

they said was excellent. We bought carpet tiles from them so that we could fit them ourselves and we were very happy with them.

Perhaps there's one near to you, or then again Niort isn't that far!

Good luck

Hazel

[quote user="johnv"]I had come to the conclusion that carpet tiles would have to be the way to go .. what are they like? i was worried that they might look too 'industrial' ...[/quote]

We've been so pleased with them that we've laid them in all three of our bedrooms.  They are easy to lay and if you follow the instructions laying in the directions of the arrows on the back of each tile you really don't see any joins. Also they're very practical as you can swop them around if they start to wear, or replace them individually if you need to.

Hazel

Hi John

I looked on the website too and I couldn't find carpet tiles there, but I noticed that they only have pictures of  a small range of carpets under that section but say on their website that they have over 200 to choose from.  I can only assume that if they still do them they are one of the ranges that are not specifically mentioned on their website.

I looked out our old invoices from them and they were called 'dalle de moquette' which means carpet tiles, perhaps you could give your nearest one a call, or email them to find out if they still stock them.